• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Well I wouldn't have believed it if you told me, but...

...you can either buy a nice used NSX or for the same price you can wear this:

950079L.jpg

Click here for a heart attack: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11090306&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

:eek::eek: :eek::eek:

watches like that are the most ridiculous thing ever.

there is no reason or logic that should ever tell you to buy something like that.

you pay a premium for fancy watches because of the many intriqute (sp?) parts it takes to make them tick. There are watches out there that are in the $100,000s or more. Patek Phillipe, Franck Mueller, etc... and not your cookie cutter Rolexes...

rickysals said:

there is no reason or logic that should ever tell you to buy something like that.

interesting remark. Someone told me the SAME thing about my NSX. He agreed it was a pretty car but to him it made no sense either. I quoted Pascal to him: "The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing".

Why does it cost 175.00 to ship a watch? Personal delivery?:confused:

I am not surprised at all since there is a car forum I belong to where watches are bought and sold all the time and those collectors easily have 100K+ in time pieces alone.

wow, imagine that thing NOT sold at costco.. it would easily be in the 40G's. Costco sell crap for so cheap, its like goodwill for restaurant owners.

rickysals said:

I bought a Rolex watch 18 years ago for $1875.00 that is now worth about 3,500. I bought a Breitling watch about 10 years ago for $10,500 that is worth about $18,000 and I recently bought an Audemars Piquet watch for $45,000 that has a list price of $112.000. I am quite sure that the Audemars will be worth quite a bit more than I paid for it in 10 years.

I still own all three watches and plan on passing them down to my children.

My logic is I have beautiful watches that goes up in value, how many other nice things can you buy that will increase in value?

I buy my watches used because they seem to take a big hit early on but then they actually go up in value.

Ninous said:
...Costco sell crap for so cheap, its like goodwill for restaurant owners.

:confused: I don't understand how you come to this conclusion that Costco is like Goodwill. Most of the products that I buy there are brand name. The items that are their own Kirkland label are usually disposables, and the quality is pretty good. The best part about Costco for me is that I can go there one morning and buy all of the supplies that I need for one Hurricaine season. I have a supply of batteries and lanterns that I could probably go six months without turning on a light switch.

Carguy! said:
I bought a Rolex watch 18 years ago for $1875.00 that is now worth about 3,500. I bought a Breitling watch about 10 years ago for $10,500 that is worth about $18,000 and I recently bought an Audemars Piquet watch for $45,000 that has a list price of $112.000. I am quite sure that the Audemars will be worth quite a bit more than I paid for it in 10 years.

My logic is I have beautiful watches that goes up in value, how many other nice things can you buy that will increase in value?

I buy my watches used because they seem to take a big hit early on but then they actually go up in value.

You are 100% on the dime! when I was a kid I became a Swiss certified watchmaker or as we are known in the industry a HOROLOGIST, lots of jokes about that.anyway my instructor took a liking to me and struck up a friendship.when he retired he gave me a shoebox packed to the gills with non running watches that included a ROLEX Submariner,a date just,an old bubbleback....that was just the rollies. Tisot,several of my fav to collect and restore are mechanical moonphase watches man those things make me nuts.their were several old railroad watches in there too. on and on.he sold me for peanuts his watchmaker bench,cleaning machine,buffer basically set me up.
Now I did not get into to the watch thing for love of fine time pieces but I needed to be certed so I could move up the ladder at the defence company I worked for. seems the Airforce and Navy required all persons building lets say something that needs a silo to be a certed watchmaker to handle the nano work required back in the day.
somewhere along the process I fell in love with the precise quality time pieces and amassed quite the collection. they turned out to be a very wise investment that netted me a handsome return on those I parted with.
The market on quality watches skyrocketed when the bug hit Japan.I believe the vast amount of the best of the best are now in Japanese hands.It also helps when you are a watchmaker and can turn new stems on a lathe,do hand fitting and fabrication of parts that are unattainable so everyone did not do as well. I no longer have my watchmaking gear other then some swiss screwdrivers and tweezers BTW I never thought I would see the day I paid 200 bucks for a tweezer that does nothing other then forming overcoils on a spring. I still love them but only retained my moonphase items these days to pass down.oh well that was probably pretty boring to you guys.BTW that is a nice watch,never owned one of those.
poster asked what other item can you buy that goes up in value, firearms NIB unfired and rare.quality diamonds over 2 carats and they need to be above the break point as in 1carat+99 points 1.99 loss ,2.1 points gain$ end of rant.

fair enough, i can appreciate the investment aspect - but i still dont get how someone would pay twice as much as regular value for a 10 year old watch.

if the market is there, take advantage of it i suppose :p

i'm just a poor kid from the ohio river, that watch costs more than my dad made a year until recently.

guess i'd rather have an addition on my house (or a house first) :p

BadCarma said:
poster asked what other item can you buy that goes up in value, firearms NIB unfired and rare.

The problem here for me is the "unfired" part. I always say I am not going to shoot this one when I buy a gun, but that only lasts about a month.

Carguy! said:

Excellent example of sound logic.
Truly what they are meant to be used as, other than telling time.

100k is just entry level if you really want to get crazy.

BadCarma said:
The market on quality watches skyrocketed when the bug hit Japan.I believe the vast amount of the best of the best are now in Japanese hands.

I know I made out in that time frame. One collector from Japan bought 120 pieces from me.
I still collect like mad, and you would be amazed at what you can find in Thrift stores and the Goodwill.
My NSX was basically paid for with a bag of "Old Parts and watches" .

I hope you have chubb to insure that stuff :) I also know someone's wife who has over 1 million worth of rings that she wears. The diamond is red on her ring kinda cool but not worth that much to me anyway but if you are worth 500 million what does it matter ;)

Carguy! said:

Back