• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

well some idiot turned infront of me and my 2005 LBBP is totalled

Be sure they dont try to screw you - they tried to do that to me so i had to threaten having my lawyer call them... hopefully your experience will be better. Good luck and sorry to hear about the car! :( glad you're safe though. Goes to show how safe these cars are! :biggrin:

well guys this guy has 50k of collision which is less than I paid for the car...

Sorry to hear that your LBBP is totaled due to an idiot :frown:
and glad to hear you are okay

Best of luck with the insurance situation, hope it works out okay for ya

well guys this guy has 50k of collision which is less than I paid for the car not to mention the wheels exhaust air intake etc.
The attorney goes after medical etc but not property damage etc
any suggestions or experiences? my insuarance is the same but apperently you can't double dip into both insurance claims for property damage... you just have to use one being his (since he was at fault)
hmmm....

Do you mean you only have 50k in coverage? If your comprehensive coverage is high enough to cover your car, you can just go with your own insurance company. All that would be required is the deductible. Then your insurance company would just go after him for the settlement including your deductible. This is my understanding.

Do you mean you only have 50k in coverage? If your comprehensive coverage is high enough to cover your car, you can just go with your own insurance company. All that would be required is the deductible. Then your insurance company would just go after him for the settlement including your deductible. This is my understanding.

+1 or they can pay the difference on top of what the guy who pulled out in front of him can't come up with... hopefully! :frown:

Smoores I texted you yesterday, and e-mailed you.

call me today and we can talk I have lots of experience with this stuff.

also I will buy your NSX from you. not 50K but a great price.

you can use my money twords another NSX.

tell you insurance comapany that you want to KEEP your wrecked car.
its your RIGHT to keep it. if they keep your car they will auction it off
to the highest bidder and you get nothing.

call me I can drive over and look at it give you my opinion

Shawn

glad your ok

i thought your blue nsx was either totaled or had significant damage and wa repaired before. was it damaged in the same place or do i have it wrong?

I don't think you were wrong. I was thinking the same thing about smoore's car.

Re: well some idiot turned in front of me and my 2005 LBBP is totaled

1) Progressive is not the "best" insurance company. They pay fast BUT that is a tact they use to get you to settle. This figure, be it for repair or for a total loss may not be the full amount you could get. Be careful, informed, and confident before accepting any monies or settlements.
Fact is, nothing really matters what anyone has to say about a particular Ins. Co, good or bad . All that should matter to you is the disposition and settlement of this, your claim.,
2) Be careful taking well intentioned advice from folks here on Prime as Gospel. Very few have more than their own personal experience or here-say in claims settlement but, they still post with great confidence and conviction.
3) Posting the intimate details of your loss or settlement here in public is not advised.
4) In the event your vehicle is deemed a "total loss" by your adjuster ask for a written offer before you accept.
A) This offer should include a ACV(Actual Cash Value) appraisal of your vehicle. This breaks down and explains the method of arriving at the value and any additions or subtractions. This is especially important if you have any aftermarket parts or upgrades on your car. They should be listed and a schedule should be included as to how such affects the ACV.
B) Play your cards close to your chest. Do not indicate to the company that you are contemplating retaining the salvage or not. That is something you still can do before you accept the settlement.
C) AFTER you have a settlement offer that you are comfortable with THEN ask what they would deduct if you decide to retain the salvage.
This is how you can establish what is a credible third party offer. Again, they should also list the name(s) of parties that have or would make a offer for their stated salvage value so you know it is a true or at least verifiable amount offered. You can call these companies to verify their offers,and, if you wish, possibly, privately negotiate a higher figure with them as well.
D) It is a common practice that if you decide to keep the salvage to sell to a private party to add a premium over and above that offer to cover your inconvenience and time to do so. 10% additional is the minimum number that I've seen and experienced for this.
E) Gather together the title, lien release(if any applies) and keys in anticipation of the final settlement.
F) Be prepared for the Ins. company to want to deduct or exclude for the aftermarket parts, telling you to remove them and put the originals back on at your own cost. Depending on how your policy reads they may have the right to deny the value for these additional parts IE., wheel exhaust etc.
On this point if they try to categorically exclude any "after market" because they are such, you would do well to remind them that since they use them on their own estimates, as fit replacement parts so they can save in the cost of repairs, so can you, regardless if they decrease or, as in this case, ADD value.
G) Do not make cavalier statements or threats about calling a lawyer.
Once you do so they may stop negotiating with you and then only with your attorney which may not be in your best interests unless he/she is expert in settling vehicle property damage claims. For the most part attorney's handle personal injury settlements and may not have the vehicle knowledge or savvy to settle a property loss on a NSX.
H) Keep cool when talking to claims. Write down the date, time and names involved in each conversation as well as a outline as too what was offered or discussed.

I am not a expert in Florida claims settlement but would be available if you want to call or talk about this event.
Pm me if you wish to.

Last edited:
Re: well some idiot turned in front of me and my 2005 LBBP is totaled

1)Progressive is not the "best" insurance company. They pay fast BUT that is a tact they use to get you to settle. This figure, be it for repair or for a total loss may not be the full amount you could get. Be careful, informed, and confident before accepting any monies or settlements.
Fact is, nothing really matters what anyone has to say about a particular Ins. Co, good or bad . All that should matter to you is the disposition and settlement of this, your claim.,
2) Be careful taking well intentioned advice from folks here on Prime as Gospel. Very few have more than their own personal experience or heresy in claims settlement but, they still post with great confidence and conviction.
3) Posting the intimate details of your loss or settlement here in public is not advised.
4) In the event your vehicle is deemed a "total loss" by your adjuster ask for a written offer before you accept.
A) This offer should include a ACV(Actual Cash Value) appraisal of your vehicle. This breaks down and explains the method of arriving at the value and any additions or subtractions. This is especially important if you have any aftermarket parts or upgrades on your car. They should be listed and a schedule should be included as to how such affects the ACV.
B) Play your cards close to your chest. Do not indicate to the company that you are contemplating retaining the salvage or not. That is something you can alway do before you accept the settlement.
C) AFTER you have a settlement offer that you are comfortable with THEN ask what they would deduct if you decide to retain the salvage.
This is how you can establish what a credible third party offer to be. Again, they should also list the name(s) of parties that have or would make a offer for their stated salvage value so you know it is a true or at least verifiable amount offered. You can call these companies to verify their offers,and, if you wish, possibly, privately negotiate a higher figure with them as well.
D) It is a common practice that if you decide to keep the salvage to sell to a private party to add a premium over and above that offer to cover your inconvenience and time to do so. 10% additional is the minimum number that I've seen and experienced for this.
E) Gather together the title, lien release(if any applies) and keys in anticipation of the final settlement.
F) Be prepared for the Ins. company to want to deduct or exclude for the aftermarket parts, telling you to removed them and put the originals back on at your own cost. Depending on how your policy reads they may have the right to deny the value for these additional parts IE., wheel exhaust etc.
On this point if they try to categorically exclude any "after market" because they are such, bear in mind you would do well to remind them that since they use them on their own estimates as fit replacement parts so they can save in the cost of repairs so can you use them as well regardless if they decrease or as in this case ADD value.
G) Do not make cavalier statements or threats about calling a lawyer.
Once you do so they may stop negotiating with you and then only with your attorney which may not be in your best interests unless he/she is expert in settling vehicle property damage claims. For the most part attorney's handle personal injury settlements and may not have the vehicle knowledge or savvy to settle a property loss on a NSX.
H) Keep cool when talking to claims. Write down the date, time and names involved in each conversation as well as a outline as too what was offered or discussed.

I am not a expert in Florida claims settlement but would be available if you want to call or talk about this event.
Pm me if you wish to.

Thank you soooooooooooo much for taking the time to clear the air and make a very well educated, thought out, logical and truthful post.
When I say everyone making the statements about Progressive I thought I was going to vomit. I deal with a bunch of body shops that obviously in turn deal with a variety of insurance companies and I know first hand that Progressvie and Geico are far from the best on the market. They practically demand and threaten body shops that if they don't repair the vehicle with aftermarket parts that they will no longer send them business in the future. Even on 2008+ model year vehicles I've seen them request aftermarket parts to try and drive down the cost of the claim. Most people are naive and don't think it is that big of a deal to put that stuff on their cars. However, the body men and shops HATE using them because the fit is usually very poor and they have to really work with the part as best they can to make it fit somewhere near where it is supposed to be. The man working on the car doesn't get paid for all the time he spends trying to get the part to line up correctly or tinker with it, he just wastes his time with it. The OEM parts fit right the first time but the insurance company doesn't care about that, all they care about is fixing it for the lowest possible price. They(adjusters) also want the cars turned(fixed and delivered) as fast as possible so they are pressuring the shops to do the jobs out so there is a LOT of corner cutting to make that happen. Some very shoddy work is performed all in the name of speed.
From my experience, 20yrs in parts business, the most impressive insurance companies to deal with in respect to wanting OEM parts on repairs are State Farm, Liberty Mutual and USAA. Whenever supplements are done and additional parts are needed, the service advisors at the body shops don't even have to get authorization from the previously mentioned insurance companies because they know it will be approved and not having to make calls ultimately speeds up the repair time.
The majority of the time, the insurance adjuster that looks at your damaged vehicle doesn't have the real experience or ability to do an honest evaluation of the damages. They can get in the ball park but until the vehicle is literally torn down and all the damage is visible, it is just guessing at what needs to be done.
Best of luck to you in getting this bad situation turned around and hopefully turned into something good.
But please take the advice of pbassjo in the above post, he clearly knows what he is talking about and is giving sound information.

Last edited:
Just to be clear I don't have any agenda other than to remind readers what you yourself have posted,about your own vehicular behavior. You posting intimate details about your personal driving history on a free public car forum,while enlightening is an open invitation to all sorts of responses. I am sorry to see another nsx turned into shawn bait...and thankfuly no lives were lost.

Corner the market? LOL

I purchased 1 NSX to rebuild, I then purchased another NSX to use as a parts car to fix this said NSX.

Smoores NSX is hit bad in the front. I have a parts car with a perfect Front, I could fix Smoores if he sells it to me.

I just want these rare NSX's to stay on the road.

I love working on cars always have.

Guys I think were mature enough not to turn this into a bash shawn thread. If anybody else wants to do what he does then step up...
I don't think anyone's bashing Shawn, it Smoore that's rightfully taking heat. I'm glad he's not hurt, especially with his record it could have had a much worse outcome.

Guys I think were mature enough not to turn this into a bash shawn thread. If anybody else wants to do what he does then step up...

I don't think anyone's bashing Shawn.

As the person with the question about Shawn I can confirm I'm not bashing him. I've seen him plenty on prime...but didn't know why he was so interested...so I asked. I'm all for keeping NSXs on the road (or getting them back on the road). As I've said at the start of several group rides, "The coolest thing the owner of an exotic car can do is not wreck it."

Just to be clear I don't have any agenda other than to remind readers what you yourself have posted,about your own vehicular behavior. You posting intimate details about your personal driving history on a free public car forum,while enlightening is an open invitation to all sorts of responses. I am sorry to see another nsx turned into shawn bait...and thankfuly no lives were lost.

I know but c'mon man it gets old after awhile, seriously it's like get a life of your own. I have never been in any accidents "dispite my record" so give me a break and I can't help it if some jackass turned literally infront of me. ok?:rolleyes:

In the immortal cover lyrics from Andre 3000....alright ,alright,alright,alright.....

In the immortal cover lyrics from Andre 3000....alright ,alright,alright,alright.....

Joey Dee and the Starlighters: The Peppermint Twist 1961

"It's alright, alright, it's alright... (Background): Alight, alright, alright
It's ok, ok, ok... (Background) ok,ok,ok"

I have never been in any accidents "dispite my record"

Weird. I thought this thread was about you being in an accident. Maybe I need to re-read it again?

Back