• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Westboro Church to protest at 9 year old's funeral

This is the tough part of freedom; we gotta let these angry nutjobs have their say. We can, however, restrict their protest to a reasonable distance from the funeral, so the mourners are not disturbed by Westboro zealots.

Sounds like the Hells Angels will get involved for security.

Too bad it's not the hells angels (who have shown up in the past for other protests at military funerals). The "Angels" will be "bystanders" wearing large "angel wings" to block the view of the protesters and to try to create a privacy barrier.

This is the tough part of freedom; we gotta let these angry nutjobs have their say. We can, however, restrict their protest to a reasonable distance from the funeral, so the mourners are not disturbed by Westboro zealots.

I agree.

The silver lining is that zealots like Westboro will unite decent folks against them, and bring out the good in people, rather than indifference.

Westboro can rot in hell for all I care, but it's one of the benefits of a free society, that they can do this.

This is the tough part of freedom; we gotta let these angry nutjobs have their say.

No we don't. "Freedom of Speech" has been around as long as the Constitution, but in the days before "political correctness" and lawyers advertising on TV, family/friends/neighbors would have formed a posse and stomped a mudhole in the backside of these lunatics, teaching them the difference between right/wrong.

Unfortunately, everyone today is afraid of being sued by some liberal dipsheet ACLU lawyer. That's the only reason why this situation won't be handled properly.

No we don't. "Freedom of Speech" has been around as long as the Constitution, but in the days before "political correctness" and lawyers advertising on TV, family/friends/neighbors would have formed a posse and stomped a mudhole in the backside of these lunatics, teaching them the difference between right/wrong.

Unfortunately, everyone today is afraid of being sued by some liberal dipsheet ACLU lawyer. That's the only reason why this situation won't be handled properly.
true to a point,but the aclu no matter how ridiculous it may seem also protects the constitutional rights of the minority..how ever twisted thier views may be.My take on these so called "religious" fringe groups..they are sadly a bunch of loons corralled and controlled by crafty egomaniacal narcasists and so this is a kinda codependant parasitism ....the best thing we could all do is just ingnore them and give them no press.

Yes, we do. This is a civilized country, where, as adults, we can respect peoples rights, even if we disagree with them. The frontier justice you favor was rare even in the frontiers days of America. You can find lots of such justice back in the middle ages. You can also find such justice in other parts of the world. I'd advise you to go there, but it would be bad advice: you wouldn't find life there to be pleasant.

It's so sad that here we have a guy that just walks up and fires into a crowd of innocent people. Where the hell is the loon thats gonna walk up and fire into the Westboro crowd. They might would rethink about the protesting.:rolleyes:

Why is it when people go nuts they shoot innocent people? Why cant they go on the sex offender website and start popping those Scum off? I would cheer them on.

All the activities of the Westboro "Church" seem to push my buttons. They really make me angry. I just don't know how people can stand it when they show up and conduct these protests- How do they avoid getting mobbed? How is it possible that they have disrespected military personnel, and others so many times yet you never hear of people just getting fed up enough to turn to violence?

I like to think I am a pretty mellow guy- but am not sure I could control myself if these people showed up at my daughters funeral with their message.

P

Yes, we do. This is a civilized country, where, as adults, we can respect peoples rights, even if we disagree with them. The frontier justice you favor was rare even in the frontiers days of America. You can find lots of such justice back in the middle ages. You can also find such justice in other parts of the world. I'd advise you to go there, but it would be bad advice: you wouldn't find life there to be pleasant.

Sorry...my vote is still for an azz whoopin'. That would straighten out a lot of problems in this country, and I'd begin with children who think they have rights.

It's so sad that here we have a guy that just walks up and fires into a crowd of innocent people. Where the hell is the loon thats gonna walk up and fire into the Westboro crowd. They might would rethink about the protesting.:rolleyes:

This brings up a interesting question.... Would they protest at their own member's funeral if one of them, God forbid, died from a tragic event?

This brings up a interesting question.... Would they protest at their own member's funeral if one of them, God forbid, died from a tragic event?

I see an interresting experiment ......:wink:

You can't reason with these nut-kooks. Did you see their interview(s) on Nightline? Cukoo for Cocoa Puffs...every last one of 'em.

Sorry...my vote is still for an azz whoopin'. That would straighten out a lot of problems in this country, and I'd begin with children who think they have rights.

Well, we'll obviously disagree on this one. What makes life better in the more civilized parts of the world is a greater respect for life--including the lives of those we disagree with, and even including the lives of those that don't have much respect for life.

I doubt a so-called azz whoopin' would really deter this kind of behavior. It would simply appeal to the martyr complex that is so common among the sheep who allow themselves to be lead around by the nearest semi-charismatic demagogue.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I doubt a so-called azz whoopin' would really deter this kind of behavior. It would simply appeal to the martyr complex that is so common among the sheep who allow themselves to be lead around by the nearest semi-charismatic demagogue.<o>:p></o>:p>

yea everything could easily be reasoned with "GOd's will" or "God works in mysterious ways"... etc etc. best is to give them no attention.

Back