• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

WHAM, hit with first high dollar expense

a/c compressor has been making a grinding sound. took it to get checked out at my local acura dealer and WHAM....$4300 :eek:
Tech thinks metal is in the lines based on his previous experience with this and says just replacing the compressor won't do any good in the long run.

$4300?!?

I think I would seek an alternate opinion on that one.

EndlessNA1 said:
Theres some guy selling a brand new AC comp in the NSX Parts for sale forum for a few hundred bux

I wish the a/c compressor is all thats needed but he is saying once metal is in the lines, that nothing short of a full system replacement is the fix.
Meaning compressor clutch set, condensors, evaporator, receiver dryer, etc.

sjones said:
I wish the a/c compressor is all thats needed but he is saying once metal is in the lines, that nothing short of a full system replacement is the fix.
Meaning compressor clutch set, condensors, evaporator, receiver dryer, etc.

What caused metal to get in the lines in the first place:confused:

Sorry to here of your problem, windows down is still an option but it must be hot & humid in the summer. Would a complete flush and compressor replacement work? Good Luck

Check inside the a/c lines for debris, the fitting for the rubber lines coming off the compressor is under the pass. side of the car. remove the fittings and look for black or dark grey slime. if you do find metal sharpnel inside the lines, then this will get expensive. most of the time, if caught early you can flush out most of the metal lines and replace the compressor assembly(incl. clutch/coil), drier, and expansion valve. The tech may be just covering his ass for worst possible scenario and make you pay for it. I recommend get a second opinion before you spend or possibly waste a large sum of money. I am sure what the tech recommends will fix your problem.;)

coolnsx said:
Sorry to here of your problem, windows down is still an option but it must be hot & humid in the summer. Would a complete flush and compressor replacement work? Good Luck

From what i was told by the tech and the service manager, there is no way to completely get medal out of the lines even with a flush. Rolling with the windows down is unfortunately not an option for me so I only have 2 options.. sell/trade her or fix her

sjones said:
I only have 2 options.. sell/trade her or fix her
If you sell/trade the car and it needs a $4300 repair for the A/C to work, you can expect to get $4300 less for it. AND it will be more difficult to find a buyer.

nsxtasy said:
If you sell/trade the car and it needs a $4300 repair for the A/C to work, you can expect to get $4300 less for it. AND it will be more difficult to find a buyer.

Selling it I would definitely disclose.....that is a hefty repair bill. Trading it is a different story especially if the dealership's tech doesn't pick up on the noise.

I'm taking her to a different shop tomorrow to get a 2nd opinion.

For those of us who haven't had this happen yet .. does anyone know what preventative maintenance is recommended to keep it from happening? or are they all just ticking time bombs?

prices for parts are not cheap as I just found out the steering box, need to fix the torque sensor which is not sold as separate, is about US$ 5k ??
the EPS is about $ 600.
now as to the a/c, a friend of mine had his repaired by a corner garage and his bill for the compressor, new $ 350, expansion valve $ 12, recevier $ 20... I am just wondering myself how come these parts are so cheap. could it be that parts from Accord/Integra are interchangable. His X is a 93 with 30000 miles. he also replaced all the engine mountings at about $ 120 per piece.

so I guess getting my steering box from the dealer is a rip-off.
Above prices are in US$.. his X is running very well after all the work and the a/c is ice cold.:eek:

This diagnosis is little "over the top" IMO. You can flush the ENTIRE system and replace the compressor. Heck, you can have the compressor seize and not have to replace the WHOLE system.

You need a complete flush, new compressor and reciever/dryer. Compressors are now available rebuilt on Ebay for $150:):).

If I were you I would give Mark Basch a call and discuss this. Being in Pheonix, this is a pretty popular issue for him:).

HTH,
LarryB

pacacu said:
prices for parts are not cheap as I just found out the steering box, need to fix the torque sensor which is not sold as separate, is about US$ 5k ??
the EPS is about $ 600.
now as to the a/c, a friend of mine had his repaired by a corner garage and his bill for the compressor, new $ 350, expansion valve $ 12, recevier $ 20... I am just wondering myself how come these parts are so cheap. could it be that parts from Accord/Integra are interchangable. His X is a 93 with 30000 miles. he also replaced all the engine mountings at about $ 120 per piece.

so I guess getting my steering box from the dealer is a rip-off.
Above prices are in US$.. his X is running very well after all the work and the a/c is ice cold.:eek:

Yes, you should never order any parts from DHC.....they are so expensive.......

Wow....that is one hefty bill. Did they let you know what caused this, and if you could have preveneted it??

From what I understand, when the AC compressor fails, it usually just seizes. However, it can "self-destruct" and throw bits of metal throughout the system.

I think the most logical thing to do is try to shut down the AC system as soon as you hear an unusual noise and then check and see if you can turn the compressor by hand (with the engine off of course). If it is seized, you cannot turn it. It doesn't make much sense to replace a compressor as preventitive maintenance.

Jones, Did you take you car to hendrick acura in charlotte. If so I would get a second opinion. They wanted to charge me 2,500 dollars for a timing belt and water pump change. I am a really good mechanic on most cars, but just didn't want to take a chance with an exotic. But I damn sure not going to pay some one who is less compitant than me to work on my car, and pay them over 2 grand.

hlweyl said:
From what I understand, when the AC compressor fails, it usually just seizes. However, it can "self-destruct" and throw bits of metal throughout the system.

I think the most logical thing to do is try to shut down the AC system as soon as you hear an unusual noise and then check and see if you can turn the compressor by hand (with the engine off of course). If it is seized, you cannot turn it. It doesn't make much sense to replace a compressor as preventitive maintenance.

My compressor has not seized. It actually is still cooling. It is however making a grinding noise... i took it to a different shop to get a 2nd opinion...I'll have more details on that on Monday.

Meeyatch1 said:
Wow....that is one hefty bill. Did they let you know what caused this, and if you could have preveneted it??

nope and I just bought the car from the same dealer a couple of months ago and it had a clean bill of health upon buying it. I guess this sort of thing just happens.

smokey212 said:
Jones, Did you take you car to hendrick acura in charlotte. If so I would get a second opinion. They wanted to charge me 2,500 dollars for a timing belt and water pump change. I am a really good mechanic on most cars, but just didn't want to take a chance with an exotic. But I damn sure not going to pay some one who is less compitant than me to work on my car, and pay them over 2 grand.

No this wasn't hendrick in charlotte... I didnt get the impression that the dealer was trying to screw me.. I think they just are covering all their bases and not wanting to do a partial repair and have me back saying the problem re-appeared.

sjones said:
My compressor has not seized. It actually is still cooling. It is however making a grinding noise... i took it to a different shop to get a 2nd opinion...I'll have more details on that on Monday.

IMO, it's highly doubtful that the compressor has self destructed and blew metal all through the system. With the grinding, I still would replace it. Did you check the sight glass on the receiver drier (just fore of the radiator)? If it's bubbling, that means you are low on fluid. The fluid acts as a lubricant to the system.

Back