• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

WHAM, hit with first high dollar expense

It doesn't make much sense to replace a compressor as preventitive maintenance.

With respect I do not agree. The early NSX A/C systems low on oil as stated in the service bulletin here: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/tsb/tsb-91-016.gif , compressors will get loud and then fail. This is definately a good preventive manitenance step if your compressor is getting loud.

HTH,
LarryB

In my later post, I said if there is grinding noise, go ahead and replace it. I was referring to AC compressors that aren't exhibiting any symptoms being replaced as PM.

Larry B, do you recommend early NSX's replace the AC compressor if they are not making any noise?

Thx

Larry Bastanza said:
It doesn't make much sense to replace a compressor as preventitive maintenance.

With respect I do not agree. The early NSX A/C systems low on oil as stated in the service bulletin here: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/tsb/tsb-91-016.gif , compressors will get loud and then fail. This is definately a good preventive manitenance step if your compressor is getting loud.

HTH,
LarryB

Please explain a little bit about the noise and where it comes from. Is it constant or intermittent?

I spent thousands getting my climate control up to par. Same problem, the whole system had to be replaced. The dealer had to remove the entire dash in the car to make the repair.

Last edited:
NoggZ said:
Typical dealer :rolleyes:

I'd be shopping around.

I did get a 2nd opinion and located a shop that would do the work for $1300 and warranty it for 12months/12K miles so thats a relief.

A local ford dealer let me keep an '04 cobra tonight.. I am sure its just to get me back at the dealership tomorrow.. they also gave me a decent trade-in amount on the X. I'm going to go check out an '01 vette tomorrow.....the X is a very nice ride but not being able to get a warranty on it has me nervous.

So the AC compressor starts making a noise so you want to get rid of it? Any car you get has wearable parts and will eventually fail. You should definitely look into leasing.

BTW, do your research on the C5 vettes. They can be very problematic.

Sorry if I was not clear. If your system is working fine and the compressor is not making noise, do not PM it. However, many NSX's do have a noisy/growling compressor. This is a sign it will fail. They typically sieze, which may lead to a thrown belt, and even could leave you stranded(if a thrown A/C belt takes the alternator belt with it.

Also the siezed compressor will definately require the system to be properly flushed for metal particals. IMO if you catch this early, you can avoid alot of headaches for the system and your wallet:).

I have a new compressor gong into mine, since it sounds like a second engine back there:), but it blows cold and was updated to R134a. But....it must be replaced. I also have another 1991 with similar sounds coming in for a new one too.

Since the TSB talks about low oil in the system, the early NSX's are more prone to this then other cars.

MY $.02,
LarryB

A local ford dealer let me keep an '04 cobra tonight.. I am sure its just to get me back at the dealership tomorrow.. they also gave me a decent trade-in amount on the X. I'm going to go check out an '01 vette tomorrow.....the X is a very nice ride but not being able to get a warranty on it has me nervous. [/B]

The C5 Corvettes are really nice. I just sold one. However, there are some high-dollar items that frequently break on the C5s as well.

Make sure you have a warranty with the C5 if you buy it!! I recommend an extended warranty through GMPP for the car. Contact Ken Fichtner Chevrolet in Montana for a sweet deal on the GMPP warranty!

Also, there is a terrific forum for Corvettes:

http://www.corvetteforum.com

I used to be a moderator there. You can get answers for any questions you may have really quick due to a ton of members and many, many long-standing members (I'm one of them :D ).

NoggZ

hlweyl said:
So the AC compressor starts making a noise so you want to get rid of it? Any car you get has wearable parts and will eventually fail. You should definitely look into leasing.

BTW, do your research on the C5 vettes. They can be very problematic.

Definitely not interested in leasing...only interested in having a car that I can enjoy and have a warranty added. Being that its a 91, no one will touch it with a warranty. And the A/C hasn't been the *only* problem, just the only problem that I haven't had fixed as of yet.

my b!tch session is officially over. I have "tomc92bb000059" to thank for it.. he brought me back to my senses... I'm keeping the X. Putting her in the shop to get fixed on Monday at the place where I got a much more reasonable quote.

Larry Bastanza said:
Sorry if I was not clear. If your system is working fine and the compressor is not making noise, do not PM it. However, many NSX's do have a noisy/growling compressor. This is a sign it will fail. They typically sieze, which may lead to a thrown belt, and even could leave you stranded(if a thrown A/C belt takes the alternator belt with it.

Also the siezed compressor will definately require the system to be properly flushed for metal particals. IMO if you catch this early, you can avoid alot of headaches for the system and your wallet:).

I have a new compressor gong into mine, since it sounds like a second engine back there:), but it blows cold and was updated to R134a. But....it must be replaced. I also have another 1991 with similar sounds coming in for a new one too.

Since the TSB talks about low oil in the system, the early NSX's are more prone to this then other cars.

MY $.02,
LarryB

Larry, can you explain to me a little more about the signs of failure and noise it makes. Every once in a while when I start my car, I have a higher pitched soft squeal that sounds like it is coming from the front left of my car, but I don't know what it is. It will stop after about 3-4 seconds and not do it again for many weeks and it only happens when I first start the car.

That is the sound of your ABS pump pressurizing the ABS system. If things are OK you will hear that every once and a while for 20 seconds or so. If it goes on for over a minute, then stops, and you get an ABS light on the dash then there is something not right, but most likely easily cured. We can cross that bridge if you ever get their:).

HTH,
LarryB

I'm sure it'd hurt the value of the car, but I personally couldn't justify spending that much to get the system replaced or fixed.

Keep looking around, I'm sure there's a reputable mechanic that's cheaper or knows what to fix.

S TWO K said:
Keep looking around, I'm sure there's a reputable mechanic that's cheaper or knows what to fix.
Sounds like somebody didn't bother reading the whole topic...

:)
Actually I did. I guess we'll hear how everything goes.

Larry Bastanza said:
That is the sound of your ABS pump pressurizing the ABS system. If things are OK you will hear that every once and a while for 20 seconds or so. If it goes on for over a minute, then stops, and you get an ABS light on the dash then there is something not right, but most likely easily cured. We can cross that bridge if you ever get their:).

HTH,
LarryB

ah, thank you so much for your help. I feel better now.:)

S TWO K said:
:)
Actually I did. I guess we'll hear how everything goes.

Welcome aboard, but you really need to keep your signature to a max of four lines per the administators on this site. Sorry, don't mean to be a nag. :)

Additional AC Info

As PM, you can have your AC system purged and recharged. It is spendy, but will remove harmful contaminants that get stored in the low-pressure side of the system.

If your AC compressor is still noisy after the purge, replace it. The failure of the unit will lead to the following problems:

A. If the pump seizes, it will heat the belt until it breaks. This will leave you w/o charging as LB pointed out.

B. The unit will overheat and come apart, then you will be in the position (Bent over) of having to get a dealer to fix the system. If your system IS contaminated with metal, the dealer would quote the $4000 figure as they would not want the liability of having the system fail after the AC compressor has been replaced.

I had a Jag with all of these problems. It drove me nuts and was very hard on the wallet!

If I was in sjones' shoes I would want the dealer to show me the debris and explain exactly how they got into the system. If the system blows cold now, it is unlikely that the system needs to be replaced as a whole. When the jag had these problems, the contamination quickly blocked the system (Thank God for the fault-sensing pressure switch that deactivates the system or Ker-Boom) and would not work at all, much less run cold.

Hoping to hear that the second mech got it right. Keep us informed.

All 91 owners should get the oil level checked as described in the TSB.

Now one question: If the system is old, will the oil need to be completely replaced (Was the 91 shipped R12?)?

Another $.02

As others have said above, the trouble with flushing a system to try to eliminate any metal filings/particles is that there is no way to really guarantee that you got ALL of them out. Sure you can flush the lines without much trouble, but its in the exchangers (the 2 condensers and the evaporator) where its just about impossible to get everything out.

If this were my problem, and I didn't have the coin to replace the exchangers along with the compressor, expansion valve, and the receiver/dryer. I would tear EVERYTHING down and flush everything as best as possible. Install the new compressor, expansion valve, and the receiver/dryer. If any particles were not flushed out they will hopefully be small enough to not cause damage to the new compressor, and will be caught by the new receiver/dryer (which is designed to trap particles and any water vapor that has got into the system).

The problem taking this approach is that unless you are doing the work yourself (as I do), it may cost you almost as much in labor to pull apart everything and flush the parts, as it would to just buy all the new parts. You will have to check it out.

The other option is to just do the quick (non-disassembly) system flush (as I am sure your cheaper estimate guys are planning to do), put the new parts in, vacuum pump and refill the system, and hope for the best. Perhaps there weren't any real metal filings in the system after all, because unless those guys who gave you the $4k estimate flushed the system and saw filings, then they are just theorizing, and covering their butts.

Re: Additional AC Info

nsxparts.com said:
All 91 owners should get the oil level checked as described in the TSB.

Now one question: If the system is old, will the oil need to be completely replaced (Was the 91 shipped R12?)?

Yes, the NSXs did not start using R134A untill 1993 see:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/changesbyyear.htm

The oil that is in an AC system is mixed and flows through the system with the R12 or R134A. There really is no way to "Check" how much oil is really in the system. The only thing that can be done is to vacuum purge the system and refill it with the specified amounts of oil and refrigerant (R12 or R134A).

If you are upgrading your system from R12 to R134A, you must vacuum purge the sytem, replace the receiver/dryer and the expansion valve, flush the system with fresh R134A compatable oil ([edit] or if your a rocket scientist you can flush the system with a compound of Hydrochlorofluorocarbon-141B and Dichlorofluoroethane, which cleans and dries the old oil residue, moisture, and any other junk that may be in the system[end edit]), vacuum purge the system again, and then fill the system with the specified amounts of R134A and R134A compatable oil. I keep saying "R134A compatable oil" because the old oil used in the R12 systems is not compatable with R134A, and any residue of the old oil in the sytem must be removed. When exposed to the new chemicals, the old R12 oil gels and in theory can clog your dryer, clog your expansion valve, or damage your compressor. Some techs will say that you need to replace all your lines and your compressor too, but I have never had a system fail in 10+ years that I have upgraded following the steps above.

Last edited:
Well guys, here is the update.... TRIANGLE IMPORTS in Raleigh fixed my a/c at a fraction of the cost and warrantied their work for 12months/12K miles. $1218 total out the door. They evacuated the system overnight and found "no" metal shavings.

My A/C blows so COLD now that I have to put it on 72 so that I don't freeze myself out of the car.

What did they do for the $1218? What exactly did it include, how much labor, what parts, etc.? Great find.

Thanks for the kind words! Local guys feel free to check with us about NSX service!

SJones, your car is beautiful. We need to all get together soon!

jlindy said:
What did they do for the $1218? What exactly did it include, how much labor, what parts, etc.? Great find.

The 1218 included the a/c compressor, drier, freon and labor for all the work. Triangle Imports was great about everything, they even matched pricing on parts for me and had the car all washed and cleaned up for me when I picked it up. I wish I could take full credit for finding them but I was recommended by another nsx owner "Travis" who works in the sales dept there.... I am glad I listened to him and tried them out.

Back