• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What are Obama's qualifications to be president?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, let's keep it to just about Obama and what he has accomplished. I really want to know.

If you were to write his resume to be president, what would you write?

* What major legislation has he authored?
* What leadership roles has he had and for how long?
* What other accomplishments can he be credited with?

Last edited:
:confused:

attachment.php

Attachments

• obama-change.jpg
    obama-change.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 510
jmo1113l.jpg

I had someone ask me for change the other day. I too told them to just vote for Obama.

John,

Thanks for steering another voter to Obama!:wink:

Regards,

Danny

Last edited:
Legislation? Go to http://thomas.loc.gov/, scroll down to Obama in the Senators window and you've got your answer. You can look at McCain and Biden too.

Great link! For those too lazy or are in denial, here's a partial list of Senate bills sponsored by Obama:

(SJ23) A joint resolution clarifying that the use of force against Iran is not authorized by the Authorization for the Use of Military Force Against Iraq, any resolution previously adopted, or any other provision of law

(S115) A bill to suspend royalty relief, to repeal certain provisions of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, and to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to repeal certain tax incentives for the oil and gas industry.

(S117) A bill to amend titles 10 and 38, United States Code, to improve benefits and services for members of the Armed Forces, veterans of the Global War on Terrorism, and other veterans, to require reports on the effects of the Global War on Terrorism, and for other purposes

(S133) A bill to promote the national security and stability of the economy of the United States by reducing the dependence of the United States on oil through the use of alternative fuels and new technology, and for other purposes.

(S433) A bill to state United States policy for Iraq, and for other purposes

(S692) A bill to amend title 38, United States Code, to establish a Hospital Quality Report Card Initiative to report on health care quality in Veterans Affairs hospitals
(S713) A bill to ensure dignity in care for members of the Armed Forces recovering from injuries

(S767) A bill to increase fuel economy standards for automobiles and for other purposes

(S976) A bill to secure the promise of personalized medicine for all Americans by expanding and accelerating genomics research and initiatives to improve the accuracy of disease diagnosis, increase the safety of drugs, and identify novel treatments

(S1084) A bill to provide housing assistance for very low-income veterans

(S1151) A bill to provide incentives to the auto industry to accelerate efforts to develop more energy-efficient vehicles to lessen dependence on oil.

(S1181) A bill to amend the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 to provide shareholders with an advisory vote on executive compensation

(S1222) A bill to stop mortgage transactions which operate to promote fraud, risk, abuse, and under-development, and for other purposes

(S1324) A bill to amend the Clean Air Act to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from transportation fuel sold in the United States

(S1430) A bill to authorize State and local governments to direct divestiture from, and prevent investment in, companies with investments of $20,000,000 or more in Iran's energy sector, and for other purposes

(S1790) A bill to make grants to carry out activities to prevent the incidence of unintended pregnancies and sexually transmitted infections among teens in racial or ethnic minority or immigrant communities, and for other purposes

(S1824) A bill to amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to establish a Hospital Quality Report Card Initiative under the Medicare program to assess and report on health care quality in hospitals

(S1885) A bill to provide certain employment protections for family members who are caring for members of the Armed Forces recovering from illnesses and injuries incurred on active duty.
(S1977) A bill to provide for sustained United States leadership in a cooperative global effort to prevent nuclear terrorism, reduce global nuclear arsenals, stop the spread of nuclear weapons and related material and technology, and support the responsible and peaceful use of nuclear technology
(S2030) A bill to amend the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 to require reporting relating to bundled contributions made by persons other than registered lobbyists
(S2330) A bill to authorize a pilot program within the Departments of Veterans Affairs and Housing and Urban Development with the goal of preventing at-risk veterans and veteran families from falling into homelessness, and for other purposes

(S3077) A bill to strengthen transparency and accountability in Federal spending
(S3506) A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to increase the credit for purchase of vehicles fueled by natural gas or liquefied natural gas and to amend the Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users to reauthorize the Clean School Bus Program of the Environmental Protection Agency

(SAmendment to S1) To require lobbyists to disclose the candidates, leadership PACs, or political parties for whom they collect or arrange contributions, and the aggregate amount of the contributions collected or arranged

(S amendment 664 to HR 1591) To appropriate an additional $58,000,000 for Defense Health Program for additional mental health and related personnel, an additional $10,000,000 for operation and maintenance for each of the military departments for improved physical disability evaluations of members of the Armed Forces, and an additional $15,000,000 for Defense Health Program for women's mental health services

Still believe he's just "all talk"?

Regards,

Danny

what did he do, slap his name on all that stuff, how many other people sponsored those bills?

Excellent point. Also, where did they go...to committee.:rolleyes:

He did well in Harvard. That's about the only concrete one. In addition to that, he is arguably a great speaker and intelligent. That about covers it. I think his greatest accomplishment was the fact we are even discussing this and that I see so many Obama bumper stickers, most of which insult other parties instead of praising him.

You have to admit someone who got this far on "hope" and "change" certainly has something figured out.

Please, let's keep it to just about Obama and what he has accomplished. I really want to know.
It is always about choosing; there is no point in talking about Obama without comparing him to the alternative.

You want resume points, as if, say, having been governor of a state would somehow qualify you to be president. I am not focused on resume points (although Obama's academic record and twelve years of teaching constitutional law are pluses). I am more concerned with what judgment the man shows--and on that, I see him as the better choice.

In the debate, Obama+McCain were asked what lessons to draw from the Iraq war. Obama said, don't start stupid wars. McCain said, fight hard and win. I see Iraq as a huge blunder from the start; only one of the two candidates sees it that way.

Obama has intelligence and composure. I think he is more likely to be effective in negotiating with other countries, less likely to bomb first and talk later.

The choice of a VP candidate is one of the first presidential-level decisions a candidate makes. When Perot chose Stockdale in 1992, that clinched it for me that Perot's judgment was poor. Obama has shown the better judgment this time, by far (in my opinion).

He did well in Harvard. That's about the only concrete one. In addition to that, he is arguably a great speaker and intelligent. That about covers it. I think his greatest accomplishment was the fact we are even discussing this and that I see so many Obama bumper stickers, most of which insult other parties instead of praising him.

You have to admit someone who got this far on "hope" and "change" certainly has something figured out.

Steve,

After our discussion on a previous thread about our society's lack of appreciation for education as one of the root cause of our education woes, you should stop discounting Obama's intelligence and rarified academic achievements. Magna Cum Laude graduate of Harvard Law School and past Editor of the Harvard Law Review is hardly "He did well in Harvard." This puts Obama way above most of us, "Mr. #894/897 Naval Academy" John McCain and Mrs. "I went to 6 schools in 6 years before I got my BA at U. of Idaho" Sarah Palin. Obama is probably smarter than almost any politician in recent memory with the possible exception of Bill Clinton and Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts (who also graduated Harvard Law School Magna Cum Laude, was also the editor of the Harvard Law Review, and served only two years a judge on the Court of Appeals before going straight to the Chief Justice post). The Republicans wish they had someone as intelligent as Obama running for president

Regards,

Danny

Last edited:
Steve,

After our discussion on a previous thread about our society's lack of appreciation for education as one of the root cause of our education woes, you should stop discounting Obama's intelligence and rarified academic achievements. Magna Cum Laude graduate of Harvard Law School and past Editor of the Harvard Law Review is hardly "He did well in Harvard." This puts Obama way above most of us, "Mr. #894/897 Naval Academy" John McCain and Mrs. "I went to 6 schools in 6 years before I got my BA at U. of Idaho" Sarah Palin. Obama is probably smarter than almost any politician in recent memory with the possible exception of Bill Clinton and Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts (who also graduated Harvard Law School Magna Cum Laude, was also the editor of the Harvard Law Review, and served only two years a judge on the Court of Appeals before going straight to the Chief Justice post). The Republicans wish they had someone as intelligent as Obama running for president

Regards,

Danny

George W. Bush graduated from Yale and has an MBA from Harvard.

Abraham Lincoln didn't attend college.

Harry Truman didn't graduate from college.

Ronald Regan graduated from Eureka College.

Wasn't it Ronald Regan, as President of the United States, when addressing the graduating class at Harvard said, "Gee, it's wonderful that you're graduating from Harvard. I went to Eureka College. I wonder what I would have become if I went to Harvard."

Lyndon Johnson graduated from Southwest Texas State Teachers College.

Wasn't it Ronald Regan, as President of the United States, when addressing the graduating class at Harvard said, "Gee, it's wonderful that you're graduating from Harvard. I went to Eureka College. I wonder what I would have become if I went to Harvard."

Dtrigg,

Thanks for another example of the denigration of our an educational system. BTW have you learned how to google "Privatizing", "Social Security" yet?

Regards,

Danny

Dtrigg,

Thanks for another example of the denigration of our an educational system. BTW have you learned how to google "Privatizing", "Social Security" yet?

Regards,

Danny

Well good evening Danny.

"...denigration of our an educational system.":confused:

Well I am sorry you hate the facts that I pointed out.

Again, how much you know about me and are able to judge. I'll match the national and international ranking of my MBA against your MD. Want to have a go?

Oh, I've also served as an Adjunct Professor at two universities and one college. Right. Education isn't of interest to me.:tongue:

All the best,

Doug

doug,

great examples of famous american politicians who did well without attending top name colleges... or any college, for that matter. (edit: ah, the bush yale / harvard connection. sigh.)

some of the most successful business people i know lack formal education.

i like that obama attended harvard and did well there, but that's just a single datapoint from where i sit.

Well good evening Danny.

"...denigration of our an educational system.":confused:

Well I am sorry you hate the facts that I pointed out.

Again, how much you know about me and are able to judge. I'll match the national and international ranking of my MBA against your MD. Want to have a go?

Oh, I've also served as an Adjunct Professor at two universities and one college. Right. Education isn't of interest to me.:tongue:

All the best,

Doug

Tsk tsk. So, have you learned how to google "Privatizing" "Social Security" yet?

Regards,

Danny

doug,

great examples of famous american politicians who did well without attending top name colleges... or any college, for that matter. (edit: ah, the bush yale / harvard connection. sigh.)

i like that obama attended harvard and did well there, but that's just a single datapoint from where i sit.

Too funny Hal. Thanks Buddy. Thanks for your e-mail as well. Let's work on a date for lunch later this month.:biggrin:

Doug

doug,

Agreed. If I appear to be placing too much weight on Obama's education it is usually in response to the attempts by others to minimize its significance; usually by educated people, which I find cynical.

Regards,

Danny

Tsk tsk. So, have you learned how to google "Privatizing" "Social Security" yet?

Regards,

Danny

LOL Danny.

Actually I haven't. I didn't go to Harvard Law School so I am having a real problem with this. Could you help me out? For example, how do you spell "google"? You know what? If I had gone to Harvard Law School I think I would sue you.:biggrin:

All the best,

Doug

Do we really NEED more lawyers in Washington????

Agreed. If I appear to be placing too much weight on Obama's education it is usually in response to the attempts by others to minimize its significance; usually by educated people, which I find cynical.

Regards,

Danny

Educated people minimize the significance on the education of Obama?:confused: What? So educated people are stupid? Some of the biggest jerks I've ever met in my life went to Harvard.

I think it was Mark Twain that said, "A well educated person is a well traveled and well read person". But what did he know.

Please refer back to my Ronald Regan quote. It's a kicker.

All the best,

Doug

Do we really NEED more lawyers in Washington????

Absolutely, they just sent 30 to Alaska to investigate Palin, and so far, we haven't hear from them (it's been a months or so now), maybe they got suck into a black hole created by the Rep party.

Regardless, there are 30 lawyers short, so we need to replace them with 300 more for the demo camp.:biggrin:

What major legislation has Obama personally involved that have significantly changed America?

Michelle Malkin

The ACORN Obama knows
By Michelle Malkin • June 25, 2008 12:10 PM

My syndicated column today spotlights the whistleblower report on ACORN, which I’ve been blogging about (here) and which deserves more attention in the media and in Washington–especially in light of the radical activist group’s embrace of Barack Obama. The Consumer Rights League e-mailed to let me know that three GOP congressmen (Hensarling, Feeney, and Royce) have called on Barney Frank (D-Housing Boondoggle) to investigate ACORN’s taxpayer abuses. Snowball’s chance, I know, but conservatives ought to be turning up the heat and using every ounce of energy they have to, well, act like conservatives and push to de-fund the Left.
For excellent background on Obama and ACORN, see Stanley Kurtz’s NR piece here, plus City Journal pieces here and here. Also here and here.

If you don’t know what ACORN (the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now) is all about, you better bone up. This left-wing group takes in 40 percent of its revenues from American taxpayers — you and me — and has leveraged nearly four decades of government subsidies to fund affiliates that promote the welfare state and undermine capitalism and self-reliance, some of which have been implicated in perpetuating illegal immigration and encouraging voter fraud. A new whistleblower report from the Consumer Rights League documents how Chicago-based ACORN has commingled public tax dollars with political projects.
Who in Washington will fight to ensure that your money isn’t being spent on these radical activities?
Don’t bother asking Barack Obama. He cut his ideological teeth working with ACORN as a “community organizer” and legal representative. Naturally, ACORN’s political action committee has warmly endorsed his presidential candidacy. According to ACORN, Obama trained its Chicago members in leadership seminars; in turn, ACORN volunteers worked on his campaigns. Obama also sat on the boards of the Woods Fund and Joyce Foundation, both of which poured money into ACORN’s coffers. ACORN head Maude Hurd gushes that Obama is the candidate who “best understands and can affect change on the issues ACORN cares about” — like ensuring their massive pipeline to your hard-earned money.
Let’s take a closer look at the ACORN Obama knows.
Last July, ACORN settled the largest case of voter fraud in the history of Washington State. Seven ACORN workers had submitted nearly 2,000 bogus voter registration forms. According to case records, they flipped through phone books for names to use on the forms, including “Leon Spinks,” “Frekkie Magoal” and “Fruto Boy Crispila.” Three ACORN election hoaxers pleaded guilty in October. A King County prosecutor called ACORN’s criminal sabotage “an act of vandalism upon the voter rolls.”
The group’s vandalism on electoral integrity is systemic. ACORN has been implicated in similar voter fraud schemes in Missouri, Ohio and at least 12 other states. The Wall Street Journal noted: “In Ohio in 2004, a worker for one affiliate was given crack cocaine in exchange for fraudulent registrations that included underage voters, dead voters and pillars of the community named Mary Poppins, Dick Tracy and Jive Turkey. During a congressional hearing in Ohio in the aftermath of the 2004 election, officials from several counties in the state explained ACORN’s practice of dumping thousands of registration forms in their lap on the submission deadline, even though the forms had been collected months earlier.”
In March, Philadelphia elections officials accused the nonprofit advocacy group of filing fraudulent voter registrations in advance of the April 22nd Pennsylvania primary. The charges have been forwarded to the city district attorney’s office.
Under the guise of “consumer advocacy,” ACORN has lined its pockets. The Department of Housing and Urban Development funds hundreds, if not thousands, of left-wing “anti-poverty” groups across the country led by ACORN. Last October, HUD announced more than $44 million in new housing counseling grants to over 400 state and local efforts. The White House has increased funding for housing counseling by 150 percent since taking office in 2001, despite the role most of these recipients play as activist satellites of the Democratic Party. The AARP scored nearly $400,000 for training; the National Council of La Raza (”The Race”) scooped up more than $1.3 million; the National Urban League raked in nearly $1 million; and the ACORN Housing Corporation received more than $1.6 million.
As the Consumer Rights League points out in its new expose, the ACORN Housing Corporation has worked to obtain mortgages for illegal aliens in partnership with Citibank. It relies on undocumented income, “under the table” money, which may not be reported to the Internal Revenue Service. Moreover, the group’s “financial justice” operations attack lenders for “exotic” loans, while recommending 10-year interest-only loans (which deny equity to the buyer) and risky reverse mortgages. Whistleblower documents reveal internal discussions among the group that blur the lines between its tax-exempt housing work and its aggressive electioneering activities. The group appears to shake down corporate interests with relentless PR attacks, and then enters “no lobby” agreements with targeted corporations after receiving payment.
Republicans have largely looked the other way as ACORN has expanded its government-funded empire. But finally, a few conservative voices in Congress have called for investigation of the group’s apparent extortion schemes. This week, GOP Reps. Tom Feeney, Jeb Hensarling and Ed Royce called on Democrat Barney Frank, chair of the House Financial Services Committee, to convene a hearing to probe potential illegalities and abuse of taxpayer funds by ACORN’s management and minions alike.
Where does the candidate of Hope and Change — the candidate of Reform and New Politics — stand on the issue? Barack Obama, ACORN’s senator, is for more of the same old, same old subsidizing of far-left politics in the name of fighting for the poor while enriching ideological cronies. It’s the Chicago way.

As for ACORN

What’s ACORN up to? Voter fraud as usual
By Michelle Malkin • July 7, 2008 11:07 AM

What are Obama’s “old friends” at ACORN up to these days? They’re signing up countless new voters who will dutifully cast dubious ballots for their far Left savior and soulmate. The Las Vegas Review Journal reports today on ACORN’s flurry of suspicious activities. Remember, people. This is your tax dollars at work:

Analysts have attributed much of the surge to interest in the election and enthusiasm for Democratic candidate Barack Obama among young people and blacks, traditionally two groups that register and vote at lower rates than the population as a whole.
But as a day spent with canvassers showed, the new voters aren’t lining up at the county building to register themselves. Rather, they’re being aggressively recruited.
“We approach them. We bring the issue to them,” said Chris Edwards, ACORN’s Nevada field director. “We don’t wait for them to come to us.”
ACORN, which stands for the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, claims to have collected 60,000 new voter registrations in Clark County since February. The group, which works to promote the interests of lower-income people, is aiming for 100,000 by Labor Day.
Clark County Registrar of Voters Larry Lomax said he has never seen such a deluge. “The biggest year we ever had was 2004. That year, we processed almost 300,000 (voter) applications — 291,000, to be exact. We’re running double that rate right now.”
…Lomax said while he supports the goal of getting more people registered to vote, he sees rampant fraud in the 2,000 to 3,000 registrations ACORN turns in every week.
“Whenever people get paid to register voters, those individuals have an incentive to meet their quota, and that results sometimes in people doing things they shouldn’t,” Lomax said.
His office sends out thousands of letters based on registration applications that don’t have valid addresses or Social Security numbers, or have other suspicious irregularities.
The office also receives frequent complaints from people who have been notified of changes in their registration that they say they didn’t make.
“There’s no question it’s a crime. It says right there on the form it’s a felony to put down false voter registration information,” said Lomax, who is working with authorities to see what can be done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back