• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What are your simple cures for feeling sad?

docjohn said:
Steve, I think the light business is a sarcastic commentary on the publics' belief that the medical community would rather treat mental illness(blindely) rather than understand it and discover the root cause.I don't agree with this misconception but it exists anyway.The leaders in the psych field do not condone the blanket use of seritonin uptake inhibitors, however there are monetary issues partly driving this trend and the pilots of those ships are ceo's and board of directers of pharmacutical giants,not your personal physician.The ability of drug companies to market directly to consumers has also accelerated this trend.Everyone wants a magic pill to feel better,don't blame the medical community as a whole for what is percieved to be "pill pushing careless doctors"!!:(

I personally do not feel that the medical community is to blame for the general publics mass consumption of antidepressants.

Out of all the people on Prozac how many asked for a prescription before the doctor thought it was necessary?

Out of all the people that got the prescription, how many really needed it?

I am also under the assumption that drug companies put a lot of pressure on doctors to sell their products. Is this

:confused: Now I need prozac?!?! :eek:
ok ok ... it's time i clarify -- it's just girl problems... i'm not a manic depressive or something like that. :eek:

The only REAL cure for depression is a good dose of truth, and one of phoen$x's virtual-bitchslaps. :p Seriously though, depression is just a symptom of something wrong deeper down. eg. if u cry coz u cut your hand; treating the tears doesn't cure the hand.
i'm not belittling depression coz it's a monster to beat, but it can be done - without pills.

pills should be used to help the person deal with the deeper prob. otherwise u just end up dependant on the pills. just my opinion...

Try this for 90 days.

-Eat right
-sleep the right amount
for you (usually 8 hrs which
you'll need once you start
your exercise)
-Exercise
-meditation
-time w/ friends
-time w/ family
-pray (a lot)
-write a gratitude list
of 100 things you have
to be greatful for today
(every day for 90 days,
its fine if you rewrite the
same list)
-stay busy ...clean the house
or build something.
-Bottom line you must change
or NOTHING CHANGES.

PS... PROZAC would not be the answer.
This is NOT a chemical imbalance and didn't exist
before you most recent EX.

E-MAIL MYNSX (now theres one!)

Be well "mate"

MYNSX

Neo,

This situation usally cures with time and it happens to everyone. You can speed up the time by hanging out with your buddies, working out, playing sports, or getting a new hobby. Since you are very good with graphics, I assumed you spend a great deal of time alone perfecting your art. The most important thing you have to remember is to always have a buddy next to you, because if you are alone, the sadness gets amplified and you'll think of her again. I am sure if all the nsxprime member live near you, we can surely get that sadness away.

Si:p

Neo... let me give you some girl advice.

Women are like busses, get off of one, and just hop on another...

:)

But seriously, if it is a girl problem, it will pass. Time is the only thing to heal that. So, just hang out with friends, do what you enjoy doing and one day you will wake up and feel ok. It may not be tomorrow, it might not be a month from now, it might be a year from now..... but it will happen.

Good luck bro.

Now save up some cash and get the NSX !! :)

NeoNSX said:

<B>Got me wondering what are your cures for the blues?</B>

The cure is very simple. Drink large quantities of alcoholic beverages. It has worked for thousands of years. No need to invent the wheel! :D

I am just kidding by the way. Looks like you have already received some good advice from the others. I will summarize. Stay active and do not allow your mind to wander to...her. As others have mentioned, spend some time with your other friends and family. Perhaps you neglected them a bit because you were spending most of your time with...her.

I hope you feel better Neo.

It is unfortunate you are not visiting one of us here in the states. You could be gorging yourself right now :D.

steveny said:
I personally do not feel that the medical community is to blame for the general publics mass consumption of antidepressants.

Out of all the people on Prozac how many asked for a prescription before the doctor thought it was necessary?

Out of all the people that got the prescription, how many really needed it?

I am also under the assumption that drug companies put a lot of pressure on doctors to sell their products. Is this
Again, I sensed there are a lot of misunderstanding of the diagnosis of "depression." Among the physicians, the word "depression" is generally referred to a distinctive medical condition called "major depression" which is not your everyday garden variety blues, disappointments, being upset, stress, or whatever things that make you unhappy. The diagnosis is made by clusters of symptom criteria. In these patients, there are deregulations or deficiencies of neurotransmitters and Prozac is in a class of antidepressants that modulate these mechanisms.
I have not had a SINGLE person coming to my office asking for Prozac. Your questions already make assumptions that Prozac prescriptions are requested by patients, and with that many people get overprescribed. In reality, at least in my practice, patients come in to see me for something else. By taking a careful history and physical and with observation of certain clues, if major depression is suspected either as the diagnosis or as a co-morbidity, patient will be referred to see my behavioral medicine colleagues who will then do more extensive evaluation on the patient. If only then major depression is diagnosed, appropriate choice of medication is prescribed and patient will be monitored with follow up appointments. In fact, a lot of people don't want to take the medication due to the stigmata that fueled by your very prevalent misconceptions of antidepressants being a bandaid, feel good medications, and abused drugs.
I suggest anyone who wants to learn about "major depression" should do some legit reading on the subject from major textbooks or institutions, not from some internet he says she says thread such as this.
Steve

I suffer from clinical depression but the only time it is triggered is after a breakup. My doctor calls this a narcissistic loss. I am currently on Paxil CR and Valium to control occasional anxiety attacks.

The last break up was in May and I was essentially a vegetable for 3 months. I consider myself to be back 95% of my former happy, funny, witty, smart-aleck self. This is the third time this has happened to me and the meds definitely helped me. I am now able to do the things I enjoy doing again. For three months I suffered from agrophobia. Now I can climb onto the Hayabusa and a do a quick warp speed run out on Route 27. Of course the NSX I bought last week is wonderful therapy as well. I know car people love comparing 0 to 100 back to 0 times. The Busa can do this in 10 seconds. Am I crazy for thinking about turbocharging it?
:eek:

speedo.jpg

hang out with your friends and enjoy life. A girl i was dating earlier this year passed away yesterday from injuries sustained in an automobile accident from a week earlier. She was so young and i'll never get the chance to say the things i wanted to say. Enjoy yourself, be positive you dont know when the things you cherish most will be taken away.............cars, petty arguments, opinions dont seem so important now.

Whenever I get sad, depressed, stressed, or pissed... I would just head for the gym and push myself until all I can feel is physical pain... It's a good way to turn all the negative energy into positive... Afterwards, take a nice hot shower and just relax... works for me... OR... take off the Targa top and go for a nice spin... ;)

Back