• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What brakes are these?

RYU

Legendary Member
Patron Supporter
Tech Expert
My friend recently took some photos from the "secret" (lol) Honda Museum here in Torrance, CA. I noticed on the Cunningham GT car what looks to be the Indy Brembos? Can someone confirm for me please?

199692_10150106664525812_714975811_7020897_1413789_n.jpg

btw.. these Magnesium BBSs are pure sex!!

you are correct sir....

I may be wrong, but I was told a while back that those Indy rotors are indeed great, but they are "old" technology per Brembo - whatever that means - and no longer produced. One guy purchased whatever was left and has been sitting on them unless he gets his asking price, something in the range of $8000 +/-.

I may be wrong, but I was told a while back that those Indy rotors are indeed great, but they are "old" technology per Brembo - whatever that means - and no longer produced. One guy purchased whatever was left and has been sitting on them unless he gets his asking price, something in the range of $8000 +/-.
"Indy" is a misnomer for the Brembo's 2pc motorsports caliper that was turned into a kit for the NSX.

I don't believe the Motorsports caliper for the NSX (commonly known as "Indy") is their newest 2pc caliper technology, but a great caliper none the less. Quite a bit lighter and more rigid than the "GT" series street calipers.

The rotor in the image isn't a motorsport rotor (which has curved banana-shaped slots) but appears to be simply a standard GT rotor.

Larry B just replaced my old "indy" with the latest brembo caliper..it looks the same color wise but Larry said they reconfigured the piston boot area to reduce contaminents without using seals...Maybe Larry could chime in on what he observed.

Anyone notice the centerlocks? Screw the calipers... I want those.

have you guys read about issues of the center nut GT2/3 wheels??

I don't know about these, but the porsche require 400 lb/ft to lock the wheels when it's not touching the ground. Good luck doing that at the track.

Larry B just replaced my old "indy" with the latest brembo caliper..it looks the same color wise but Larry said they reconfigured the piston boot area to reduce contaminents without using seals...Maybe Larry could chime in on what he observed.

The latest version of the "Indy" Caliper is modified quite a bit. The original caliper had piston boots, the new ones do not. In discussions with the Brembo Engineer it was determined that the dust boots were more trouble then they were worth. My original intent was to rebuild the calipers on John's car, but they did not have replacement boots.

When the engineer explained the redesign to me, it made sense. The pistons now have a steel insert that includes a set of holes around the perimeter of the insert, near the brake pad contact point. The steel insert isolates the heat from the fluid, and with the vent holes, air passes directly through the insert to cool it.

I was actually quite surprised when I recieved these and opened them. They are really optimized for racing use. The Brembo engineer also mentioned that if used on the street, or ocassional tracking, you just need to keep up your brake fluid changes, since the reason for the dust boot was to keep brake dust from passing through the inner seal and into the fluid.

That is what I learned from the engineer at Race Technologies.

Regards,
LarryB

Thanks Asimo.BTw looks like from the latest "driver" mag you and Miss Purple had a "thing goin on":tongue:

The latest version of the "Indy" Caliper is modified quite a bit. The original caliper had piston boots, the new ones do not. In discussions with the Brembo Engineer it was determined that the dust boots were more trouble then they were worth. My original intent was to rebuild the calipers on John's car, but they did not have replacement boots.

When the engineer explained the redesign to me, it made sense. The pistons now have a steel insert that includes a set of holes around the perimeter of the insert, near the brake pad contact point. The steel insert isolates the heat from the fluid, and with the vent holes, air passes directly through the insert to cool it.

I was actually quite surprised when I recieved these and opened them. They are really optimized for racing use. The Brembo engineer also mentioned that if used on the street, or ocassional tracking, you just need to keep up your brake fluid changes, since the reason for the dust boot was to keep brake dust from passing through the inner seal and into the fluid.

Regards,
LarryB
Hey Larry,

I've worked with Brembo's vented piston caps. They are pretty trick but I believe they have more to do with reducing heat transfer from the pad to the caliper/fluid than any benefits to reducing contamination of the brake piston seals.

I'm also a bit skeptical that bleeding the brakes frequently will have any affect on the contaminants in the piston area of the caliper. I think the main job of a dust boot is just as the name implies - a boot to prevent dust from contaminating and damaging the piston seal. I don't believe the vented caps will improve this. For those who meticulously clean and maintain their brakes, and who rebuild them often (IE race teams) I dont think this is an issue atall. For someone who wants to "Set it and forget it" in terms of rebuilds and meticulous maintenance, I would probably suggest dust boots, especially under street conditions and long maintenance intervals.

I don't know about these, but the porsche require 400 lb/ft to lock the wheels when it's not touching the ground. Good luck doing that at the track.

Bro... I can do that in my sleep....

big-biceps.jpg

I have, but never cared enough to look into it.

I do know these come with a pin to keep the lug from unscrewing.

Regards,
LarryB

So, I guess that it is not possible to rebuild these Comptech "Indy" brakes when they go bad? If so, then what is the cost of the new updated calipers?

Thanks

Not that hard, did my buddies GT3

It just isn't worth buying proper race calipers for a road car, you will not use them to their full benefit! Looks like the same caliper used in the ADAC Cup cars (made by Honda Germany) from the '90s.

adac-nsx-4-big.jpg

Brembo's catalogue is here:
http://www.brembo.com/US/RacingProducts/

Alternatively, there is AP Racing, who are owned by Brembo but operate independently. We moved from a 'track day' caliper to full race last year. You're talking double the price if not more.

http://www.apracing.com/calipers/index.asp?section=Pro+5000++Range_655

P1070523.jpg

Larry Bastanza; said:
The pistons now have a steel insert that includes a set of holes around the perimeter of the insert, near the brake pad contact point. The steel insert isolates the heat from the fluid, and with the vent holes, air passes directly through the insert to cool it.

Regards,
LarryB

The vented piston inserts usually are actually titanium and are used for heat dissipation and isolation from the brake fluid.

Back