• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What brand of bright whie lights to get

I was wondering what kind of bright white lights I can get to put in My 96 NSX-T that will not overload the stock circuitry and cause problems for me. Are the Sylvania Silverster light adaptable to the 1996 NSX? thanks:smile:

invest in some HIDs conversion kit..not from ebay ok? look in the vendors page, someone had them for sale..sylvania bulbs are OK to use but don't really make it that much whiter or better vision...

HID is the only way - pm me if you need a set I have a few extras.

Definitely skip the Silverstars. . almost any HID kit will be almost twice as bright. . .I know I had them on my NSX.

The DDM Tuning/Apexcone units were on Prime here through a few vendors. Buy them from here for a lot cheaper:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=101&parent=85
hidddm.jpg

$49 for the 35Watt kit
$59 for the 55Watt kit (which is what I have)
$15 (optional) to add the HID Wiring Harness for extra protection against the initial startup current spike

From my experience with DDM Kits (I own 3 kits in various cars and configurations), get 4300K in the 35W kit.
For the 55W kit, the 5000K is the whitest, the 6000K has a slight blue, the 3000k shines yellow on the ground but appears whitish yellow if you look straight at it.

I have this Raptor kit on my GF's car and have not had a single problem with them. . the kit is relatively new, whereas the DDM one has been around for a few years:
It's only $29 for the 35W and $39 for the 55W

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=102&parent=85
hidraptor.jpg

Last edited:
i'd like to stir things up a bit by offering an opposite view- i too have a set of aftermarket hid's (6000k). while the light is brighter and the area directly ahead of the car is better lit, the pattern further ahead of the vehicle had been adversely affected- i feel that the original halogens reached further.

edit: they are actually 8000k

Last edited by a moderator:
i'd like to stir things up a bit by offering an opposite view- i too have a set of aftermarket hid's (6000k). while the light is brighter and the area directly agead of the car is better lit, the pattern further ahead of the vehicle had been adversely affected- i feel that the original halogens reached further.

Not a chance , I can't see this unless your kit is somehow faulty or incorrectly installed...

i'd like to stir things up a bit by offering an opposite view- i too have a set of aftermarket hid's (6000k). while the light is brighter and the area directly agead of the car is better lit, the pattern further ahead of the vehicle had been adversely affected- i feel that the original halogens reached further.

4700K gives the optimum light temp color for the best visability 6000K is alittle more blue/purple and does not do such a good job but wow they look so cool:rolleyes:

The best example I can offer is this when trying to illuminate something you want contrast blue to black does not offer that much of a difference in color while white to black does

Not a chance , I can't see this unless your kit is somehow faulty or incorrectly installed...

not a chance, huh? while i am confused how you can possibly screw up that install, i actually did test this by disconnecting the hid (whitensx 35w kit) and re-installing the stock halogen. while the reflectors on the side of the road were visible further down the road with the hid, the halogen had a better 'visible' coverage (vs the 6000k). based on this i will concur that i made a mistake by getting the 6000k bulbs as in this form the hid is not that better reaching further- mind you, like i said, the area near the car is absolutely flooded. furthermore i will admit that when i change to the 4300k my opinion might change as well.
btw- someone mentioned hid bulbs specifically made for projector-type reflectors- anyone has info?

not a chance, huh? while i am confused how you can possibly screw up that install, i actually did test this by disconnecting the hid (whitensx 35w kit) and re-installing the stock halogen. while the reflectors on the side of the road were visible further down the road with the hid, the halogen had a better 'visible' coverage (vs the 6000k). based on this i will concur that i made a mistake by getting the 6000k bulbs as in this form the hid is not that better reaching further- mind you, like i said, the area near the car is absolutely flooded. furthermore i will admit that when i change to the 4300k my opinion might change as well.
btw- someone mentioned hid bulbs specifically made for projector-type reflectors- anyone has info?

http://www.coolbulbs.com/HIDKits_body.asp

I dont know if this still applies but all I remember from back in the day was there was a DS1 and D2R or something like that type well just dont get the one with the R which was for reflector.

IMO i believe the oem hid kit works the best..both in style and visibility..somehow the aftermarket kit doesn't seem to give the best "visual coverage" ..i too have had aftermarket kit in my last car, 6000k, but still somehow doesn't seems to light up better then halogen bulb..must've been the temp choice..and my kit also "flicker" every 20-30mins during long drive..sucky ballast i suppose..something to keep in mind if u are getting HID conversion kit..

what i really like to get are the oem kit or some kind of retro hit..but my car is a 93, and the flip up headlight aren't projector kind..

i just checked the bulbs and actually they are 8000k which explains the crappy light 'coverage'. from what i have observed on my car i need to get something in 4300-5000 range.
anyone wants to trade?:cool:
as far as the kit is concerned, it is very well put together, i didn't see it flicker much but the left balance did refuse to work on one occasion.

i just checked the bulbs and actually they are 8000k which explains the crappy light 'coverage'. from what i have observed on my car i need to get something in 4300-5000 range.
anyone wants to trade?:cool:
as far as the kit is concerned, it is very well put together, i didn't see it flicker much but the left balance did refuse to work on one occasion.

Also, get a 55W kit instead of the 35W kit you have. . bear in mind that the higher wattage kits affect the color output as well (it washes them out). . My 5000K 55W kit was pretty much perfect white.

Back