• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What Brand Of Tire Would YOU Run?

Originally posted by bayareansx1999:
has anyone tried Pirelli P-Zero's?

Harry Somerfield. He posted this on the NW list:

<<
I've been using Pirelli PZeros since 1993. They stick as well as the Yokos,
are quieter, 10-times better in the wet and wear three times as long.

OCTJMO... ICBW

Harry Somerfield
>>

I believe Harry uses an odd size such as 265/35/17 in the rears ...... but I also remember him switching to yoko oems or track tires when he brings it to the track
cool.gif

______

By the Aaron, if you read this can you pretty please answer my specific questions from page 1 ...
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Hrant (edited 05 August 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Hrant (edited 05 August 2002).]

Hrant, it's nuts here today, but as soon as we slow down (or when I go home) I'll answer your post. Thanks for understanding...
Aaron

ya know, damn, just when i start thinking i might be mensa material, you guys go and totally boggle my mind with these tire discussions.

well, i tracked this thread well enough to know what i already knew. the stock tires are specific for this car, and aftermarket are a compromise.

the thread we should start is: what are the average IQ's on nsx prime.

Is that the top speed of the '91-01 NSX, or the '02 NSX?

Or did our average IQ just jump seven points this year?

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 06 August 2002).]

Either way it's high enough, don't you think?
wink.gif

I am sure it's orders-of-magnitude greater than many other car forum's.

[This message has been edited by 8000RPM (edited 06 August 2002).]

Originally posted by huckster:
well, i tracked this thread well enough to know what i already knew. the stock tires are specific for this car, and aftermarket are a compromise.

EVERY tire is a set of compromises, including stock. Pick the ones that make the compromises you like.

Hrant, As far as your q's earlier:

1- I had been using that sizing combo (most notably the 225/45/16 fronts size)on a stock suspension setup with no problems. (I now run a 17/18 SSR combo with S-03's) The one thing to bear in mind is that the info available to me here at the Tirerack (like all of our suggested sizing) is done based on test fittments of stock vehicles. There will always be someone who lowers a bit more, or has an alignment variation, or has a car that has been in an accident, etc....that may experience rubbing due to being outside of the norm. Being that the fenderwells of our cars are not as roomy as some (ie-911's for example) we will see this more often than others. I don't think the drop on the Eibach pro kit is enough to make you rub with the 225/45 in general for most people, but as someone noted earlier...it CAN happen.

2- As far as the S-03 vs the OE Yoko, there are strong points to both, the biggest one (as you can see from this HUGE thread) is that the Yoks are in the OE sizing. The S-03 is hands down a better rain performer and a much quieter tire too. Both are nice as far as turn and laterall grip are concerned, but I have a 99% new set of OE Yoko's in my attic and S-03's "on" my NSX, so you can see where my opinion lays, and I own both tires.

Hope that clears it up for you......As always just my opinion
smile.gif

Aaron
94 Green/Tan #268

[Q]AaronR,
In your experience, how do the BFG KD's compare to the S03's.[/Q]

So AaronR, in your experiencc, how do the BFG KD's compare to the S03's.

Thanks!

Originally posted by bayareansx1999:
has anyone tried Pirelli P-Zero's?

I ran some P-Zero's on 15/16's and liked the balance of good (not great) grip but better milage than OEM. After 10k miles, the backs were completely gone and the fronts had maybe 20% left. I did a few auto-x, and a few track events on them (before getting some Victoracers) as well as a fair share of spirited mountain driving. I ran 225/50-15 and 245/45-16 and dialed out some oversteer with the rear sway bar.

HTH

Ted

I have a 99% new set of OE Yoko's in my attic and S-03's "on" my NSX, so you can see where my opinion lays, and I own both tires.

Aaron
94 Green/Tan #268[/B][/QUOTE]

Hey Aaron interested in selling the Yokos? Let me know
smile.gif

thanks
-Milano

I've only ever used OEM Yokohamas and I am glad they are available in Canada again. Customs and shipping plus duty and the exchange would turn a 200 dollar tire into a 400 dollar tire easily. Then there is a 14 percent tax and a tire tax on top of that.

Originally posted by Ponyboy:
[Q]AaronR,
In your experience, how do the BFG KD's compare to the S03's.[/Q]

Here's my take on the KD vs. S-03 comparison. For starters the KD is a great dry performer, there is no disputing that! I do however find it to be much less comfortable on the street than an S-03, and the wet performance is not even close. In fact, I would say the S-03 is the best rain performer we have ever seen from anyone. When BFG came out with the KD, dry performance was the main goal, hence the name KD, (which stands for Key to performance is Dry traction). If dry performance was your only concern the only reason to go to the S-03 instead would be becuase it will have a bit better wear. A KD is an awesome tire, it is just very focused to do one thing really well, making it much less versatile than the S-03. If you are using this tire in the rain, and are worried about noise level or treadlife, the S-03 is definitly a better way to go. It really just depends on what matters to you most.
Aaron

[This message has been edited by AaronR (edited 07 August 2002).]

I've changed my mind. I'll try the S03's, Aaron, My car has stock suspension, could you comment on the front tires rubbing at stock hight, They won't right?. Also, the sizes you recommended will not make the tcs malfuntion, correct?

Thanks for you help.

David Kim

Originally posted by dvkim:
I've changed my mind. I'll try the S03's, Aaron, My car has stock suspension, could you comment on the front tires rubbing at stock hight, They won't right?. Also, the sizes you recommended will not make the tcs malfuntion, correct?

Thanks for you help.

David Kim

David, With stock ride height you will be good to go! I think you will love them, I know I do! After you check them out, let me know what you think,
Aaron

Originally posted by Hrant:
I just talked Dan at Tire Rack. Very helpful.

By the way the price is $152 for the fronts and $192 for the rears to all.

I second Hrant opinion of Dan at tirerack : very helpful and knowledable. I ended up with Aaron's recommended sizes (Bridgestone Potenza S-03 PP 225/45/16 & 255/40/17).

All 4 tires for $722.56 shipped to my door.

------------------
'96 Black/Tan NSX-T : Dali Street/Race SwayBars

I bought a set of S03s from Tirerack a couple of months ago and I'm extremely happy with them.

Last week, I was looking for a good set of tires for my friend's M3 and when I did the search in the tirerack site, I found out that the Yokohama ES100 looks a lot like the S02s.

yo_avs_es100.jpg

Aaron, do you have any experience with these tires? I know that Yoko makes good tires. The thing that surprised me was its price. It could have saved me over $200 comparing with the S03s I have. It looks great on his M3 also.

I think the OEM tires are absolutely terrific. They give the NSX its crisp handling, by designing tires for specific corners of the car to work in conjunction with the NSX's alignment.

Originally posted by Lud:
EVERY tire is a set of compromises, including stock. Pick the ones that make the compromises you like.

The compromise that the OEM tires make seems to be in the order or tread life. IMO handling, in wet or dry, is superb.

Originally posted by ChopsJazz:
The compromise that the OEM tires make seems to be in the order or tread life. IMO handling, in wet or dry, is superb.

Tread life and cost.

I've been a big fan of Yokohama AVS Intermediates on my other cars. Similar wet/dry performance and tread life as the A022H's...but they only cost about 1/2 - 2/3 as much. At those prices, I don't mind the short tread life. At A022H prices, it makes me a little less happy.

I'm Surprised no one has mentioned the Goodyear Eagle F1, are they available over there ? Its rated #1 in all the comparison tests. The latest version DS-G3 includes silicon within the compound that makes a massive improvement in the wet, Unfortunately we have a lot of wet wether over here in England and therefore the improvement here is very noticable.
I have tried a lot of tyres and these latest F1s really stand out. They seem to provide massive grip in allmost all conditions and the break away is very controllable.
A far bigger difference than the brand of tyre seems to be the alignment, I have mine computer 4 wheel aligned on the hunter DSP model after every few track sessions and if its out even by a little the difference this makes can be remarkable, how often do you guys check this ? And do you run the aggressive or the later revised alignment.
BTW my friends and I now use nitrogen in our NSX tyres "a la" F1 and Touring cars and the tyre pressure varies less under temperature ie heavy trackdays.

Originally posted by G_Man_Max:
I have mine computer 4 wheel aligned on the hunter DSP model after every few track sessions and if its out even by a little the difference this makes can be remarkable, how often do you guys check this ? And do you run the aggressive or the later revised alignment.

I don't have alignment done on a regular basis the way you do. I have it done only if the car's handling/steering seems to be "off" somehow. I also recently had mine aligned when having the struts replaced.

I use the original, aggressive alignment.

Back