• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

what fuel is going to power our cars and trucks in the future?

how many cars are on the roads in the usa? 100 million?

whats going to power these cars in 20 years? surely we cant send 100 million cars, porsches, ferraris, nsx's, mercedes, bmw, etc etc etc, off to the junk yard for scrap metal just to get a tax rebate for a prius that runs on water.

what fuel is going to power all the gasoline powered cars in 20 years? i would assume bio diesel will be around for the diesels so i really wouldnt have a problem buying a nice diesel right now(just wish chevy would have offered a 1/2 ton with v6 diesel)

Gasoline will. So will other stuff, but in general, it will still be gasoline.

20 years? Hopefully I'll still be able to get 93 octane for my NSX. :)

Hopefully I'll still be able to climb out of my NSX.

In 20 years todays 100 million cars would be alot more. Depends on population growth. Unbearable gridlock, and fuel prices. Scary! We may all have to change our ways. Our NSXs and other current autos could become impractical to use. Who knows whats on the horizon, look whats happened in just the last year.

Yeah, in the 1800's, they were probably worried about finding space for all the horses people would need. Who was going to clean the horse dung off the streets? Where would all the feed come from?

Twenty years from now it will probably be gasoline with a majority, but losing market share to plug in hybrids and diesel. Of course, all it would take is a dramatic improvement in hydrogen storage and generation to make fuel cells take over pretty quickly.

Nick

I don't see gas going anywhere for another generation. Yes hybrids and electrics will come out and be more prevalent. But the rest of the world will not be able to afford them, so they will still be running a majority on gas.

In short and if politics are put aside (unlikely), water!

how many cars are on the roads in the usa? 100 million?

whats going to power these cars in 20 years? surely we cant send 100 million cars, porsches, ferraris, nsx's, mercedes, bmw, etc etc etc, off to the junk yard for scrap metal just to get a tax rebate for a prius that runs on water.

what fuel is going to power all the gasoline powered cars in 20 years? i would assume bio diesel will be around for the diesels so i really wouldnt have a problem buying a nice diesel right now(just wish chevy would have offered a 1/2 ton with v6 diesel)

It will a be a hybrid of current fuels and this
mrfusion.jpg

Gasoline. People are going to realize there's no shortage, and oil is going to drop back down to $30.

I think we will be driving cars powered entirely by our own sense of self worth.

Or I hope it is nose picking. Because as Adam Carolla said: "I pick my nose as if it powers my car."

Last edited:
It will be synthetic hydrocarbons. Basically a synthetic version of the organic hydrocarbons we are burning now. Along with hybrid technology.

Of course we will still be using organic hydrocarbons (petrol) until it is all gone.

H-C for da' winz...

It will be synthetic hydrocarbons. Basically a synthetic version of the organic hydrocarbons we are burning now. Along with hybrid technology...
Presumably, you mean man/lab-made hydrocarbons, as anything/everything carbon is rhetorically 'natural' & not synthetic.

So, taking Hydrogen & Carbon and purposely combining them to get the desired hydro-carbon chains/molecules...(?)

Neat'o! Der Fuhrer's Speer & his 'werks were onto something like this over 1/2 century ago... though it was very primitive by today's standards!

Re: H-C for da' winz...

Presumably, you mean man/lab-made hydrocarbons, as anything/everything carbon is rhetorically 'natural' & not synthetic.

So, taking Hydrogen & Carbon and purposely combining them to get the desired hydro-carbon chains/molecules...(?)

Neat'o! Der Fuhrer's Speer & his 'werks were onto something like this over 1/2 century ago... though it was very primitive by today's standards!

Was this some attempt at sarcasm? I don't know if you've been paying attention to the innovations in silicon valley, but many people are working on synthetic organisms that produce hydrocarbons as waste. They are synthetic in that their genomes are modified so that their metabolic pathways are fundamentally changed from their organic analogues. Hydrocarbons are hydrocarbons, synthetic or organic.

I am not sure I understand your reference to Hitler.

Last edited:
i guess senator obama will be racing around in a different ferrari every day of the week than:tongue:

Or maybe he will borrow the Veyrons McCain gets from his wife. :wink::tongue:

Back on topic - in 20 years, probably more electric vehicles.

synthetic in quasi-marketing buzz-word, only

Was this some attempt at sarcasm?
Nah, if I got a beef w/ you... I'd be in your face about it. You're a bit overly-sensitive, assuming(ly) as-per the poli' off-topic threads...(?)

I had a genuine interest in your post, as a former researcher/scientist. I was merely curious about your choice of words in that, were they your own words or actual words/terms used by the greater scientific community.

I'm no stranger to xenobiotics & selectively culturing hydrocarbon producing bacteria/microbes. I had my own personal cell-line (toot 'dat horn, Osiris, woot-woot!) in the late '90s (though in NIH/medical-research context).
KSXNSX said:
I am not sure I understand your reference to Hitler.
That's because your panties are in a bunch from other 'Prime threads/posts/comments/etc'... leave the poli' crappe & focus, my man! :)

In WWII, the Wehrmacht was short on oil/gas/petrol/you-name-it. So they were actively devising ways/methodology to get the much needed fuel to keep their war-machine going. They went the inorganic (real synthetic) route, as opposed to modern-day trialz & tribz' w/ organic/selective-culturing/bioremediation/etc'.

You need a brew, to take the edge off your paranoia. Here's a virtual brew'ski...

Cheers, my friend! :D

Or maybe he will borrow the Veyrons McCain gets from his wife. :wink::tongue:

Back on topic - in 20 years, probably more electric vehicles.

ahh yes, but john mccain and cindy mccain have each earned thier veyrons:wink:

i would buy a natural gas civic if there was a place to pump the gas nearby

Back