• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is APPLE planning?

It's so cute that Apple fanbois actually believe stuff like this.

more like the first popular MP3 player, would you agree?
and if not, what would you say was the first popular MP3 player?

- - - Updated - - -

It's so cute that Apple fanbois actually believe stuff like this.

I might suggest that the Diamond Rio was the first popular MP3 player, but perhaps only because that is the first one I had personal experience with.

What I will give Apple credit is for developing an MP3 player business model that the industry could live with. Up until the iPod, MP3 players were generally regarded by the music industry as tools for pirates, playing stuff downloaded from Napster or illegally ripped. The aforementioned Rio was pretty much sued out of existence because of this perception. Apple with the iPod/iTunes combination created a digital music business model that the industry could buy into, and that more than anything made them successful.

I would suggest that the iPod brought some good things to the table:

- Excellent menu-driven UI that allowed you to navigate a relatively large library of songs via metadata. You could select Artist, Song, Album, and so on in a nice hierarchical interface.
- Click wheel controller made it very easy and fun to zip through very long menus/lists. The wheel used ball bearings and an electronic clicker for audible feedback on rotation speed. When you spun the wheel faster, the cursor would accelerate so you could get through thousands of entries in a few seconds. Compare that with track forward/back buttons used by the Nomad.
- It was the first large capacity player that used a high speed interface. USB 2.0 was not commonly available, so the competition of the time like the Creative Nomad used 12Mbps USB 1.0. It took hours to transfer songs. The iPod used 400Mbps Firewire, and at 4MB/sec (the speed of the HDD), it transferred songs pretty fast.
- It was the smallest of the HDD based players when it came out. The original Nomad was pretty much the size of a Discman as it had a 2.5" laptop HDD inside. The iPod was an early application (maybe the first) of the 1.8" Toshiba PC Card size HDD.

Last edited:
Guess no one caught Apple's WWDC today?

They're finally moving away from cats for Mac, OSX 10.9 Mavericks.

iOS 7 looks mighty yummy, at least for me, negates most of the reasons to jailbreak. Beta is out now for Developers, public release in the fall, likely with the release of the next iPhone.

That new Mac Pro looks VERY interesting. 1/8th the size of the old Mac Pro!

Here's the keynote.

Is it me or does the new iPhone 6 icons and interface look more feminine with all of the pastel and foo foo puppy dogs and ice cream theme?

It's just you, there is NO iPhone 6, at least not publicly.

Any ETA on the iPad 5? It's purported to be slimmer & trimmer. And that I need one for the household. If it's only a month or so away, I'd hold'off. But, if it's fall or winter release, then I'll just go w/ the current iPad Retina-display (4th gen).

Any ETA on the iPad 5? It's purported to be slimmer & trimmer. And that I need one for the household. If it's only a month or so away, I'd hold'off. But, if it's fall or winter release, then I'll just go w/ the current iPad Retina-display (4th gen).

I think it's a winter release. Th didn't mention it at all. I may upgrade from my 3 if 5 is good enough.

In case anyone was wondering:

iOS7 beta 1 is pretty buggy. Don't upgrade on your main device that you need to rely on. There are resprings, battery drain, freezing, etc.

Overall, it's a good upgrade. Probably the best iOS yet. But Some design elements are questionable. Definitely a lot of "borrowing" from Android, WebOS, the Jailbreak community. Watching them try to pass it off as their own innovations during the keynote was a little funny.

Sometimes I feel like I am using an Android phone with a Windows 7 phone skin on. The dialer, messaging app, and timers are the worst. Personally, I like the new icons and colors.

We also get live wallpapers, panoramic wallpapers, and swipe back (swiping back to navigate backwards in mail, safari, etc.). It will all be great once they make it stable.

If you must upgrade, don't forget your SHSH blobs so you can downgrade back to ios6.

Last edited:
I havent found battery life to be any different (although I would expect it to be a bit worse with the new animations). I've had one reset so far since Monday. Not digging the new icons, but enjoying the new functionality.

If you must upgrade, don't forget your SHSH blobs so you can downgrade back to ios6.

There's no need to save your SHSH blobs to downgrade. Apple is still signing iOS6, but only 6.1.4, so if you're jailbroken, you're SOL. You can't downgrade to anything lower than 6.1.4.

4 days away from the new iPhone(s) and possible new iPads, Apple TV, and new Macs???

I need to upgrade from my '10 13" MacBook Pro to a new 15" Haswell powered Macbook Pro!

zzzzzzzinvite.jpg

Attachments

• zzzzzzzinvite.jpg
    zzzzzzzinvite.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 218
I'm not expecting much. Looking forward to a new iPad, but is it really worth upgrading from my ipad3. We shall see. Haswell MacBooks will have crazy long battery life. Personally I'm interested in the Lenovo yoga 2.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that we won't be seeing a TV or watch, but will see the iPhone 5s, iPhone 5C; and new ipad a week or two after that.

The intro of the iPhone 5C into China should be great for Apple's numbers. Whether or not the stock price reflects that...we shall see..

I really wish/hope Apple comes out with a larger screen phone like the Samsung S4. I have a 4S and really like everything except the screen size and the 5 is just not a big enough jump for me. As for Mac's. I am typing this on my new 13" Haswell Mac Air, 8gb ram, 512gb SSD. It also has some new wifi that is supposed to be faster for modems that have that feature whatever that is. If they come out with a new touch Air, this one is going back.

I also am running Vmware Fusion and Windows Pro 7 for work on the AIR and so far it is seamless. Oh, and with 91% battery left it says I have 9 1/2 hours of run time left!

And by the way Tim Cook, you suck if after one year since your Iphone 5 introduction the only things in the new phone are a slightly upgraded(but still behind the times) camera, a slightly faster processor and some stupid colors.

I read somewhere that we won't be seeing a TV or watch, but will see the iPhone 5s, iPhone 5C; and new ipad a week or two after that.

The intro of the iPhone 5C into China should be great for Apple's numbers. Whether or not the stock price reflects that...we shall see..

Last edited:
I really wish/hope Apple comes out with a larger screen phone like the Samsung S4. I have a 4S and really like everything except the screen size and the 5 is just not a big enough jump for me. As for Mac's. I am typing this on my new 13" Haswell Mac Air, 8gb ram, 512gb SSD. It also has some new wifi that is supposed to be faster for modems that have that feature whatever that is. If they come out with a new touch Air, this one is going back.

I also am running Vmware Fusion and Windows Pro 7 for work on the AIR and so far it is seamless. Oh, and with 91% battery left it says I have 9 1/2 hours of run time left!

And by the way Tim Cook, you suck if after one year since your Iphone 5 introduction the only things in the new phone are a slightly upgraded(but still behind the times) camera, a slightly faster processor and some stupid colors.

There are reports of Apple testing larger phones (even up to 6'') but even those reports say we won't see them this year. At the very least, if they do make it into production, we won't see them until the iphone 6 Summer 2014+.

Are you actually getting 9/5 hours+ on your air? Those numbers can be very off depending on what you are doing. I heard Haswell is great for battery life though.

I hope very much that future iPhones do not get a larger screen. I chose an iPhone 4s and later a 5 specifically for that reason. All the Android phones were getting so big, they were basically mini tablets. If that is what I wanted, I would've bought a small tablet (I eventually did; a Nexus 7). Phones that try to be do-it-all devices are progressively becoming less portable: too big for pockets, too power-hungry to take away from outlets and too clunky to use as phones.

^^agreed about screen size. The reason I am still hanging on to my iphone4 is because of its small size. I don't want large phone because it is uncomfortable putting it in my front pocket. Thats why phones such as the samsung galaxy is not for me. Why do people need such a big arse phone? If I need a large size device, I would get a tablet. If apple comes out with something too big, either I keep my antique iphone4 or get the HTC Mini if and when it's available in the US.

I hope very much that future iPhones do not get a larger screen. I chose an iPhone 4s and later a 5 specifically for that reason. All the Android phones were getting so big, they were basically mini tablets. If that is what I wanted, I would've bought a small tablet (I eventually did; a Nexus 7). Phones that try to be do-it-all devices are progressively becoming less portable: too big for pockets, too power-hungry to take away from outlets and too clunky to use as phones.

I have found 4.3 to be the right size. The problem with the iPhone 5 (for me) is they just made it taller and not wider, so typing on it for me is still not a very good experience.

Last edited:
It was pretty weak IMO.

I don't know why anyone would buy a 5C when you can get a 5S for $100 more. I think they totally screwed up pricing on that.

I think it is also crap they are STILL charging $100 more for 16 gig of memory that costs all of $10 if that. At least the Nexus 7 is only like $20 for 16 gig more.

The 64-bit OS is interesting. I am looking forward to seeing how that plays out.

I really don't see any reason for someone to buy this if they already have a 5 -- of course MILLIONS of people still will.

Last edited:
I don't know what people were expecting with an iPhone 5S announcement. It has always been a (modest) spec bump.

I am curious/interested in the 64bit architecture though. The fingerprint ID thing is pretty cool too. I believe Motorola had something similar in a phone already but I'm not sure how well that worked/was implemented. As of right now, I'm not in a rush to get the new iPhone. I've always skipped the S updates. Now that the Golden Master release of iOS 7 is out, I'm finally gonna update my jailbroken iPhone 5 6.1.2 . iOS 7 pretty much addresses all the reasons for me to be on a jailbroken iPhone. I'll lose tethering, but then again, I haven't used that in a long time.

I tested iOS 7 on my nieces iPad Mini, and I like it a lot, so I'm ready to make the jump. I was REALLY hoping we would get an update on the Haswell MacBook Pros. I know they're coming, but I wanted a release date already.

No word on Apple TV/HDTV either.

Seems like the media has really hit them hard on the 5c as it was thought to be the lowest cost iPhone.

I think nearly everyone at this point wants a slightly wider screen. To me it would have made more sense to have the 5S and the 5W-- wide :) Obviously this causes more fragmentation. I am not sure what kind of fragmentation having 64-bit and 32-bit apps causes. Will dev's make a 64 bit version, or just leave it 32-bit so it runs on everything. Time will tell.

I'm not sure what the point of x64 is other than marketing?
They don't use enough ram to require it, so I wouldn't think it would be any faster other than from clockspeed?
Second, do people REALLY want their fingerprints logged by their smartphone?
Seems like a big step backwards to me.

Back