• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is BLACKBERRY planning?

touch_screen_ani_v7_crop.gif

- - - Updated - - -

Gizmodo is about as apple bias as they come. The new UI looks great. There is a lot of black in it because it uses less battery.

Last edited:
I think it's over for blackberry.
It used to be everyone used a blackberry because they were secure and that's all corporate america would allow.
Then with the iPhone, CEOs accepted the lower security and forced active sync open on their networks.
Once that happens, the floodgate is open and there's no going back.

I can't imagine too many people picking a blackberry who have a choice.

I think it's going to be difficult for RIM to compete with the Android and iOS ecosystems, especially considering that Microsoft is having a tough time at it. Any OS, no matter how nice, isn't going to cut it without developer support and apps...just look at WebOS. Good luck BB10.

The problem is that the execs had their heads up their asses for so long that people have given up hope. I, for one, hope that they do some really revolutionary things (I like the keyboard above), and present a good alternative for enterprise. Android is so full of holes that any security conscious company would never allow one of those devices on their network. iPhone is better, but they still have catching up to do with RIM. There's a lot of smart people there, and for the sake of their jobs, and for the betterment of the entire industry, I hope they knock it out of the park. I'm going to reserve judgement until I actually get to play with it though. My experience with the Playbook was horrible... let's hope they have better quality assurance before this goes to production.

I think if RIM pushes the security angle and provides a viable competitor, they could scare a lot of enterprise customers into buying back in...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YjBppA7qDd4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pretty neat

Too little, too late. You are already seeing large companies phasing out BB and moving to iPhones...Moves that take months / years to plan and execute. They aren't just going to go "oh... They are back? Lets switch again." The last generation is starting to reach the end of its life cycle for some IT departments so now I think it's all down hill from here with nowhere to go until they are snatched up by someone at a bargain basement price...

I wouldn't even say too little too late. I would simplify it simply to "too late." The ship has sailed. I don't believe enough people have stayed behind on Blackberry (based on defection numbers) to provide enough mass to the Blackberry eco-system to get developers on board. Ask how hard it is for Nokia/Microsoft to get developers on board to WP.

Nothing is too little or too late if the product meets the core target customer expectations.

Look how quickly people jumped from Apple's i4 to Samsung Galaxy III! While BB's target is more the business/enterprise community, the rest of the smart phone users are fickle and hence subject to the right marketing pitch/hype/coolness.

Nothing is too little or too late if the product meets the core target customer expectations.

Look how quickly people jumped from Apple's i4 to Samsung Galaxy III! While BB's target is more the business/enterprise community, the rest of the smart phone users are fickle and hence subject to the right marketing pitch/hype/coolness.

Exactly. The us is a fickle market. Dangle something shiny and new in front of them and they want it.

Too little, too late. You are already seeing large companies phasing out BB and moving to iPhones...Moves that take months / years to plan and execute. They aren't just going to go "oh... They are back? Lets switch again." The last generation is starting to reach the end of its life cycle for some IT departments so now I think it's all down hill from here with nowhere to go until they are snatched up by someone at a bargain basement price...

I know a few firms that have stopped support for blackberries. We've talked about it.
It cost money to run a Blackberry enterprise server, and if not many people are using it.....
In our environment, only around 20% of people are still on the Blackberry server 2 years after opening it up.

Looking forward to seeing all of you eat your words.

I hope so. I love good competition.
If Blackberry was smart, they would make a $40 'Blackberry App' for iPhones and Androids that will let them securely tie into existing Blackberry servers.
Their profit would 10x overnight.

I know a few firms that have stopped support for blackberries. We've talked about it.
It cost money to run a Blackberry enterprise server, and if not many people are using it.....
In our environment, only around 20% of people are still on the Blackberry server 2 years after opening it up.

I hope so. I love good competition.
If Blackberry was smart, they would make a $40 'Blackberry App' for iPhones and Androids that will let them securely tie into existing Blackberry servers.
Their profit would 10x overnight.

Something like this?
http://us.blackberry.com/business/software/blackberry-mobile-fusion.html

- - - Updated - - -

RIMM is getting hammered today. If you're a True Believer, today might be a good day to load up.

Yeah but it was like $7 a few months ago. It's doing a lot better than apple lately.

No, that lets a BB admin manage the phones on the corporate network. BB announced several years back that it was going to be focused more on becoming a software company rather than a device company and develop versions of their secure messaging software that ran on IOS (IIRC, this was before Android had the sort of market share it enjoys today). So instead of having to buy a BB to use their messaging software, you could just buy the app from the Apple store.

Not sure what ever came of that plan, but it sounded like a good one.

Back