• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is BLACKBERRY planning?

Ftom the link referenced: "The issue here isn’t whether RIM eventually does or doesn’t get WhatsApp on its platform — the issue is that RIM always seems to be one step behind when it comes to getting the hottest apps of the day on its devices."

I am not defending BB's business model/practices or decisions - albeit I am one of the dinosaurs still using a BB! Perhaps analysts are imposing their view of what BB's ought to be rather than focusing on what BB wants to be ("primarily" an Enterprise smart phone)?

But id BB can find an interface to use/subscriber pay for the apps available on iphones or Android on its platform then it would indeed achieve the best of both worlds. Just my non-techie $0.02.

Ftom the link referenced: "The issue here isn’t whether RIM eventually does or doesn’t get WhatsApp on its platform — the issue is that RIM always seems to be one step behind when it comes to getting the hottest apps of the day on its devices."

I am not defending BB's business model/practices or decisions - albeit I am one of the dinosaurs still using a BB! Perhaps analysts are imposing their view of what BB's ought to be rather than focusing on what BB wants to be ("primarily" an Enterprise smart phone)?

But id BB can find an interface to use/subscriber pay for the apps available on iphones or Android on its platform then it would indeed achieve the best of both worlds. Just my non-techie $0.02.

Rim has been working very very hard to get developers. More than android has ever done. More than apple too. It will pay off. If you follow rim you already know this. Bgr is just a pos site. The owner owes his entire business to rim. Now he bashes them non stop.

That article is total garbage. Sorry.
You're entitled to your opinion, but I think the article makes some valid points. Unless RIM comes up with something so compelling and different than iOS/Android/Windows mobile platforms, I don't see a huge defection rate to it, especially if people are tied to their existing library of purchased apps.

- - - Updated - - -

Rim has been working very very hard to get developers. More than android has ever done. More than apple too. It will pay off. If you follow rim you already know this. Bgr is just a pos site. The owner owes his entire business to rim. Now he bashes them non stop.
I don't frequent BGR often, but from a casual scan of the stories tagged RIM, I would hardly calling it "bashing non stop". There are a couple of opinion pieces, but the rest seem pretty factual based.

Maybe BB will make a comeback, maybe it won't. Doesn't make a difference to me personally, as I have no horse in that race. I prefer to use the best technology available at the best value, no matter who makes it.

Last edited:
Just took it for a test drive. I like it a lot. The screen is gorgeous. 354 ppi. Colors are stunning. Its very fast. A little hard to get used to no buttons.

I think it will do very well.

- - - Updated - - -

Here an an example of what they are doing to get dev's.

http://crackberry.com/here-comes-android-port-thon

Last edited:
I hope our company switches to these Z10 things, if we're gonna continue being issued Blackberry devices. /crossfingers

I hope our company switches to these Z10 things, if we're gonna continue being issued Blackberry devices. /crossfingers

This will probably be the biggest market for the Z10, and other new BB devices: companies that are already tied to BB, usually with a BES. As cools as the new Z10 may be, I still think they've got a long uphill climb to try to get people to switch from their iPhones and Android phones. But for a company that has a lot of investment in the BB ecosystem, and has users clamoring for something new and sophisticated? The Z10 is perfect for them.

That's a nice looking phone.
I've said it before, either RIM or Microsoft, all it takes to beat Apple/Google is to do this. Make an equal phone, with equal number of apps and then say this:
"We don't track you"

TONS of people would flock to them.

IMO, one day facebook will be hacked and all of these facebook integrated phones will be thrown in the trash.
There will be a huge opening for RIM or MS if they're ready.

Last edited:
The new bb z10 looks good. If it had as many apps like the iPhone , I would trade in my iPhone for it.

It is very very good. Apps are coming. Which are you looking for that you would need before making the switch?

I updated my BB10 dev alpha to a new version this week so I have the hub now. Its pretty sweet. I have shown off the phone to a lot of people and they have all been very impressed -- and mine is pretty sluggish compared to the real deal.

The only thing I haven't figure out yet is if I like ioS notifications better. One the one hand, i like that nobody can see all my incoming stuff like they can on iOS, but on the other, I do like seeing what has come in without having to take an action.

So I am torn on that one. I kind of wish it had both options.

The maps are not great at all, but for navigation they are just as good as ios. Hopefully google maps comes out.

Overall, I am pretty happy with mine and cannot wait for the real thing in a month. (wish it was sooner.. arg!)

The official launch I give a 6/10. They didn't show off a lot of cool things like hdmi out, how to answer the calls, the voice activated searches (siri stuff), the specs, 32 gig sd card expandability, the clock, the alarm, the compass.. etc. I guess they only had an hour, but they could have done more.

I think they will have a LOT more apps in there in time for the US launch. Facebook isnt even there yet.

This is nice for apps too: http://crackberry.com/how-put-android-apps-your-blackberry-10-device

UPDATE: I have google maps running now. Runs great.

Last edited:
Just picked up my Z10 today on Verizon. Really loving it so far. Very fast and snappy. Screens looks fantastic. Peek and Flow are great. I had to show the sales guy how it worked and he was sold :)

I also found this pretty interesting from the earnings call "55% of BlackBerry Z10 Customers Come from Other Platforms".

If you haven't checked out a BB in a while (which probably 99% of you have not) check it out.

Four months status update ..... my good old work hose finally died - the track ball, yes it is that old! It can be fixed but time to replace it. I had waited until the Q10 would be on the market and it has been for about a month.

I am more of a QWERTY type hence why I really want to stay with Blackberry. I know they are not selling well but according to retailers it is not due to the phone itself - they all say it is solid - but more due the marketing missed its target date, and that it lacks the breadth of Android applications available on other phones albeit its platform accept Android apps that BlackBerry imports.

Costco has the Z10 for no cost with 2 year contract; the Q10 is $150 but I am sure the price will come down on this one too.

So, ditch the BlackBerry and move to iPhone (5S is coming in September but that is too long of a wait), get Samsung III or S4, or move to Windows phone? I am not a fan of Google, and plethora of applications is not the major criteria. I use the smart phone mostly to keep up with texts, and emails, and it would be nice to incorporate it with NSX for Nav and music library at best.

I suspect this BlackBerry addiction is more like not letting go of the NSX when compared to many other newer and feature loaded models. But it is so sleek and reliable!

The q10 is pretty awesome but I am loving the z10. Easily the best os on the market. The only thing it lacks is the piles of apps, but with 10.2 you can pretty much sideload whatever android app you want.

The current offerings/models of BlackBerry refer to OS 10. Is there an update to 10.2 already?

10.2 is coming in October with the a10 (5" screen). 10.2 adds android player 4.22 so it works with pretty much every android app and is newer than most android phones run! It does a few more cool features. All the phones will get 10.2 around there.

The a10 is pretty cool if you want to wait until then but I really do love the z10 with 10.1. It's really fast.

At 5" the A10 would be a bit cumbersome but yes the features look good. Comes with micro HDMI ....

But since you like the Z10, how easy was it for you to transition from QWERTY keyboard to the Z10?

At 5" the A10 would be a bit cumbersome but yes the features look good. Comes with micro HDMI ....

But since you like the Z10, how easy was it for you to transition from QWERTY keyboard to the Z10?

I haven't used a kb blackberry in forever, but my brother was die hard kb guy until the Z10. The predictive text if fantastic and the auto correct is very good. I have no interest in using a kb phone after using the Z10. I HATE the kb on the iphone. I find it very hard to use in portrait.

Back