• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is GOOGLE planning?

I bought my wife a white galaxy note 2 and i got my first iphone, the iphone 5. If i had a purse i would have bought the note 2, its a beast!! It was painful to pick up the iphone after holding and playing with the note 2.:smile:

You can always get the Note 2, you don't need a purse.

I wish it was LTE. :frown:
Yah they should of added LTE to the Nexus 4. Glaring omission imho. I realize they are trying to keep costs down, but you once you go LTE you won't go back.

So... As my entire computing ecosystem seems to revolve around Apple products now and with the Google hype around here I decided to dip my hand into the Jellybean jar...

8250021571_fbac4ef7dc_n.jpg

The Black Friday Android Nexus 7 32GB for $229 was a deal I couldn't pass up...

Now lets see what all this hype is about...

Last edited:
They're planning something alright. Google along with Apple, are planning on scooping up those Kodak patents together apparently.

Please help me Android users! You are my only hope!

So as an iOS user who just purchased a Nexus 7 tablet on Black Friday i have a a few issues/questions:

Why is the battery life absolutely miserable?

If I just turn the tablet screen off at night by tapping the power button on the right side (above the volume rocker) the battery will drop as much as 20-30% overnight while sitting idle!!! Even with no apps running!!! If this thing was a phone with a cellular radio I might understand, but this is just a plain wifi tablet.

On my WiFi only iPad 2 I do the same thing and it will stay on standby for many days even with 8-10 active apps... And this is even with push notifications popping up throughout the day!

Do I need to completely power down the Nexus 7 every night by doing a full shutdown? And then restart each morning?
Do I seriously need to shut off WiFi every evening? Or is there some other system vampire sucking the life out of my battery?

I have already updated to the latest OS version and performed a "hard reset"...​

Why does the screen touch response seem to be intermittently slow/jerky?
Whether I'm scrolling in the Chrome browser or using the YouTube app the screen response seems to go from reasonably smooth to jerky/laggy at the drop of a hat. Quite often I'm scrolling through a screen and without any warning it will jump back to the top for no apparent reason. And this is not just once in a while... It's so irritating!!!

Is this just how Android is? After all, these are Google's very own basic in-house apps for cripes sake!!!

BTW, my home Wifi is running on a Cisco Dual N router off of a Verizon FIOS connection. It's certainly not the bottleneck here...​

Why does the auto backlight seem erratic?
While sitting on the sofa browsing on the tablet the backlight will fluctuate from nice and bright to dim and dingy and back again even though I haven't moved at all. Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity? Or to place limits on this effect? Obviously as the battery life is already an issue I dont want to lose this function completely...​

Why is there a limitation on the apps from the Google Play store that I can run on this thing?
I figured as it is running the latest greatest version of the OS I would be able to run most Android apps on this thing. Clearly this is not the case!

The official Android CNN and CNN for Tablet are not able to be installed on the Nexus 7. Same goes for the official CNET news app. One would think at the very minimum the phone version of the app could be used on the tablet in "low-res/zoom" or just letterboxed. The Google Play store simply states that "Your device isn't compatible with this version". Seriously? It's not like I'm trying to download a cell phone specific app!!

The Nexus 7 is Google's official tablet! It's running an unadulterated version of Android! Why the limitations!?!?

Is there a workaround for this?​

Also, while the screen may be higher resolution than my iPad 2, when visiting many websites the text is just too tiny to read comfortably.
I know that I can double tap to zoom but is there a way to set the default font size in the browser to something less microscopic?
Having to double tap to zoom and then sliding back and forth just to read each line gets tedious very quickly.

So far the Android experience is not anything close to what it has been hyped up to be... I'm still willing to give it a fighting chance though!

Finally, any recommendations from the Android power users for "must have" widgets? I put a weather widget, clock, and a system setting control widget so far. Where are the widgets that everyone raves about?

Last edited:
If anyone wants a large screen with great battery life, there is a Droid Razr Maxx HD coming with a 4.7'' screen and a 3300 MAH battery which is rated for well over a day. It will truly be a no midday charge phone.

I finally ditched my old Droid 2 and got the Droid Razr Maxx HD (terrible name, btw). The screen is a nice 1280x720 OLED with bright clear colors, and at 4.7" is about as big as I'd ever want it. It shipped with ICS, but by the time I got around to getting mine the upgrade to Jellybean was already on the air, and I updated it before doing anything. I logged into my Google account, and all my apps showed up, just as I would expect them too. The only thing that didn't transfer over from my old phone were text messages; apparently there's a way to do this, but I didn't care enough to pursue it.

The truly wondrous thing about this phone: that magnificent 3300 mAh battery! My old phone was OK on battery, and I could get a day out of it with normal usage -- but if I forgot to plug in overnight I was basically offline until it charged. With the Droid Razr Maxx HD I have gone three full days without plugging in, and even with that I still had 20% or so battery to go in power saving mode. I can navigate for hours without being plugged in. I can play games for hours with the screen on full brightness and all radios blazing.

If your number one concern is battery life, this is the phone for you. All the other Jellybean goodness is just icing on the battery cake.

Last edited:
Nexus 4 available from Google Play store right now. The phone has sold out the few times Google has had stock. Just an FYI; gonna post this in the recent pre-paid cell phone thread as well as this is a great phone for prepaid AT&T or T-Mobile plans.

Earlier in this thread there was an article about Samsung (and Android phones) overtaking iOS in 3Q2012. I think we all agreed that that quarter was an aberration, as everyone knew all summer that the iPhone 5 was coming, and so nobody was buying iPhones in anticipation. Fourth quarter numbers, after the iPhone 5 was release, would be more significant.

Strategy Analytics: Android claimed 70 percent of world smartphone share in Q4 2012

I predicted this two or so years ago: this is Windows vs Macintosh all over again. Windows runs everywhere, and so gets 90+% of the marketshare. MacOS only runs on Macintoshes, and so winds up with a paltry 7-8% share, mostly niche users and hipsters.

Android and iOS will end up with like marketshare. And as the "fragmentation" issues get ironed out, app development will switch to Android, with iOS users left whining "when is the iOS version coming out?" just as Mac users whine today.

This war is over.

Last edited:
Earlier in this thread there was an article about Samsung (and Android phones) overtaking iOS in 3Q2012. I think we all agreed that that quarter was an aberration, as everyone knew all summer that the iPhone 5 was coming, and so nobody was buying iPhones in anticipation. Fourth quarter numbers, after the iPhone 5 was release, would be more significant.

Strategy Analytics: Android claimed 70 percent of world smartphone share in Q4 2012

I predicted this two or so years ago: this is Windows vs Macintosh all over again. Windows runs everywhere, and so gets 90+% of the marketshare. MacOS only runs on Macintoshes, and so winds up with a paltry 7-8% share, mostly niche users and hipsters.

Android and iOS will end up with like marketshare. And as the "fragmentation" issues get ironed out, app development will switch to Android, with iOS users left whining "when is the iOS version coming out?" just as Mac users whine today.

This war is over.

Agreed. I too saw this coming. It's really not hard to see. A free OS that can be put on anything vs a closed ecosystem. Heck they are even putting Android on ovens, fridges, thermostats... can't wait until it gets more integrated into cars.

And furthermore...

IDC says Android is the new king of tablet market share

IDC issued a preliminary report on global tablet shipments across the world revealing that we've hit a long-expected milestone: Android tablets seem to be outpacing the iPad.

I stated this was going to happen in the Apple thread nearly 8 months ago. Every Apple fanboi lost their mind. But I thought it would take longer. At least another year.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...nning/page25?p=1587964&viewfull=1#post1587964

Did Google have a strategy to expand their Android market in smartphones?
Yes.
Was it successful?
Yes.
Will they try the same strategy in the tablet market?
Yes.
Will it be successful?
Probably.

Last edited:
I have no opinion on Apple vs. Google but I just thought this was funny as hell. I didn't know which thread to post this in (Apple/Google planning?) so I just put it in the first one I saw.

MYeIdZI.gif

Well Google has continued purchasing small private tech firms in various types areas of development, making some of us very happy:). I think long term they will be tough to beat, but I may be biased...

The Market seems to like what Google's showing today -- up over $900, while AAPL continues to swoon.

A pure Android Galaxy S4 looks pretty sweet; not sure about $650 sweet however...

The Market seems to like what Google's showing today -- up over $900, while AAPL continues to swoon.
A pure Android Galaxy S4 looks pretty sweet; not sure about $650 sweet however...

Figure your Sprint/Verizon bill has that $650 included, divided by 24 months. Figure your bill is an extra $25-30 a month.
I think the trick would be using this phone on a different provider like ting.com where there's no contract and a lot cheaper.

Guess I could post in this section, but just read the FB phone has been a failure, with all unsold inventory being sent back to HTC after a certain date.

Guess I could post in this section, but just read the FB phone has been a failure, with all unsold inventory being sent back to HTC after a certain date.

Yep. And their 'Home' app has an average rating of 2 stars(out of 5).
I think facebook is a trend like the rubics cube or pacman. Not something that will still exist in 10 years.

Glasshole: People whose DoucheFactor™ is off the charts thanks to the distracted, creepy behavior associated with wearing a voice-activated face camera.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FlfZ9FNC99k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hahaha ;)

Last edited:
Did you ever switch over to Ting, jond? I did, and I'm pretty frickin happy with it. Want a discount code? PM me.
And since we're talking about google here, I bought a Galaxy Nexus and it's a pretty great phone even though it is a little dated. Much better than iphone's I think.

Last edited:
Back