• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is Honda F1's problem?

Okay, I understand now.....Let's go have a beer and Watch F1 on a huge screen T.V.!!!!:biggrin: Damn, your kinda further than just around the block from me:redface:

I didn't mean that in a bad way. He is very talented and is becoming one of my favorite drivers today.

What I meant by that is that F1 drivers in the past didn't get months and months of training before their first match like Hamilton. Guys like Schumacher, Senna, Mansell, Lauda and Prost maybe got weeks of driving if they were lucky.

Of course McLaren was/is just training their driver to fit the car and team and it working amazingly well. Many other drivers and teams aren't as privileged. F1 is changing and hopefully for the better.

He's well worthy of respect and he certainly has my respect.
I'm not trying to create an argument, just expressing my "view" of F1's growth and changes.

Re: Oh, now I get it

I just saw that Matchett -Honda interview at Indy practice and :eek: realized what the big frickin' aero problem has been; It's the skin stickers they're forced to use for that earthview livery instead of good old paint. Who thinks I'm kidding? :confused:

But hey, that 70's engineer look uniform they were wearing was cool, huh? ROFLMAO

The Honda livery stickers, I've read, weigh less than a comparable paint job though they're minutely less aerodyamic efficient. Toro Rosso used stickers until just recently and switched to paint for better aero efficiency.

Re: Stickers ???

The Honda livery stickers, I've read, weigh less than a comparable paint job though they're minutely less aerodyamic efficient.
Interesting. I was laughing because I just put some contact paper on my spare front wings instead of paint and it took 2 of us to painstakingly get it smooth on a relatively flat simple surface. So naturally I expected F-1 would have some sort of computer controlled paint process or some "space age" process most of us would never have heard of. With all the angles and undulating surfaces, that must be some pretty special sticker material.

Re: Oh, now I get it

I just saw that Matchett -

I really liked the extended coverage yesterday. Matchett was discussing Super Aguri and pointed out that Toyota F1 had more people employed at its canteen (cafeteria) than SU had in total. He also pointed out that Toyota F1 driver salaries are only a bit lower than the entire SU annual budget.

Speed TV also interviewed every driver in front of a live audience yesterday and the Honda, Toyota and Red Bull drivers were all saying that it takes time to develop even a mid-pack F1 car/team. But SU has been around for only 18 months and is doing it better - so it seems.

Guys, don't worry -- the heavily revised RA107 is testing this week in Spain. :redface: I suppose it can't be any worse. Hopefully this will allow us to atleast beat our JV team for the rest of the season.

Yeah right! I'm sure we'll see improved performance from the car, but nobody else is standing still either! This is a moving target, and everyon is training to improve. This whole "major" aero package development may be good, but don't expect a leap frog into contention for points regularly. If we do improve significantly, we will hopefully be able to battle for top 10 finishes, and on occasion the odd 8th place 1 point. Definitely not what I was expecting of the Honda factory team this year. We'd been moving forward well, I am still trying to come to grips with how bad we are this season...I'm lamenting the replacement of some key people this year.

Guys, don't worry -- the heavily revised RA107 is testing this week in Spain. :redface: I suppose it can't be any worse. Hopefully this will allow us to atleast beat our JV team for the rest of the season.

This year's car is a heavily revised of last year's car, and last year's car is doing better this year with SAF1:biggrin: I guess if the new car is worse... Honda probably should pulled out of F1 and take a break till the big teams are gone.

This year's car is a heavily revised of last year's car, and last year's car is doing better this year with SAF1:biggrin: I guess if the new car is worse... Honda probably should pulled out of F1 and take a break till the big teams are gone.

Hey, I'm glad at least that they didn't go out racing with the Dumbo ears they were testing.

I hope HONDA does better in F1 since they hoped to reveal the next Honda supercar after a champoinship running in F1.:redface:

What do you guys think about Honda not releasing lap times from the first 2 days of testing at Jerez? Is this the top-secret break through car, or is it instead slower than before? Super Aguri is releasing times.
Jesse

FWIW, this year's car, the RA107, is a completely different car than last year's car, the RA106. The RA107 is not a heavily modified version of the RA106. FIA rules don't allow the same chassis use by two different teams...at least not yet.

Re: the recent testing times. See below:

Christian Klien Tuesday 19 June 77 laps 01:21.435
Christian Klien Wednesday 20 June 61 laps 01:20.951
Jenson Button Thursday 22 June 122 laps 01:19.621

Honda recently hired some very accomplished aero guys a bit ago and the rumor is that they've already done quite a bit of work. Still a pig w/ a gold earring is still a pig. Another rumor is that Nigel Stepney is on the way over to Honda as well. That's if Italy doesn't put him in jail.:frown: Now that would make for a very interesting 2nd half of the year and 08.

But I don't see them getting out of this hole or becoming any more competitive. Start working on the RA108...

you = Raikkonen.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pbv2sJIGVC8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pbv2sJIGVC8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Abooo...
mimimios7.jpg

..stop crying.

Re: Aero? We can only hope.

Honda recently hired some very accomplished aero guys a bit ago and the rumor is that they've already done quite a bit of work. Still a pig w/ a gold earring is still a pig. Another rumor is that Nigel Stepney is on the way over to Honda as well...........
I hope you're right and see a basis for that hope. It was confirmed that Ferrari's windtunnel had a catasrophic breakdown and was a major cause of the Red cars being off the pace over the past several weeks. To me that fits right in with Honda's rudderless aero program being their major problem. I hope they have the right guys this time.

Turns out they've made a huge stride. Instead of two laps and 30 seconds off the McLaren's pace, they're now just 30 seconds off. If you look at the lap times, Button was quicker than both BMWs and on par w/ Fizzy Cola in the faster Renault.

Slighly off thread's topic, but most of the knowledgable F1 guys seem to post here, I hear that several F1 venues are not going to be on next year's schedule due to financial issues like Magni Cours (sp?). Any word on this, and how it will effect F1? :confused:

Re: Bernie's thing

several F1 venues are not going to be on next year's schedule due to financial issues like Magni Cours (sp?). Any word on this, and how it will effect F1?
While it appears that Bernie likes to play power games with various venues and the owners, (F. Tony George among them), he's mostly about the money. Maybe this is about money and maybe something else, but it was reported that Bernie is in love with the idea of a street race in Paris, which is what will replace Magny Cours. Kind of stealing a page from Champ Car's Kevin Kalkhoven, maybe?

Sad but true, magnificent natural terrain road courses like Magny Cours or the Mt. Tremblant, where Champ Car just ran, can't compete with the money of a carnival like street course in a big city "festival of speed".

JMHO, let's wait for what the knowledgeable F1 guys think.

Back