• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is the best and most reliable way to get a jailbroken Iphone 3GS?

So my little cousin is moving to Shanghai and the prices of Iphones are really outrageous there. So, she wanted to buy a jailbroken version to take over there. The going rate on Ebay is like $400 or so but I'm wary that some of these phones may not be legit (either broken, or not really jailbroken, etc).
For you Iphone experts, would you purchase one of these phones off Ebay?
If not, how do I go about getting one for her that truly is jailbroken?

Look on craigslist, if the phone is jailbroken it will have "Cydia" installed. If you want to use this phone outside of the U.S. you also want to make sure that it's unlocked.

Get one of Craigslist that you can inspect prior to purchase. Find a clean, well cared for phone, even if it's not jailbroken. Check the back plastic and front glass for cracks, make sure the volume buttons and home button work seamlessly, and make sure the charge port works without issue. Mine only works if its at a slight angle, and its 100 to replace the port :eek:.

I'm by no means a software expert,and I was able to research and jailbreak my phone in about an hour. Its been a year and it's still going strong (The port issue arose before I jailbroke it, FYI). If you really don't feel comfortable, most major cities have physical businesses that can jailbreak a phone for 10-20 bucks and 20 min, just look on Craigslist.

Get one of Craigslist that you can inspect prior to purchase. Find a clean, well cared for phone, even if it's not jailbroken. Check the back plastic and front glass for cracks, make sure the volume buttons and home button work seamlessly, and make sure the charge port works without issue. Mine only works if its at a slight angle, and its 100 to replace the port :eek:.

I'm by no means a software expert,and I was able to research and jailbreak my phone in about an hour. Its been a year and it's still going strong (The port issue arose before I jailbroke it, FYI). If you really don't feel comfortable, most major cities have physical businesses that can jailbreak a phone for 10-20 bucks and 20 min, just look on Craigslist.

I do this for a living and we charge less than $100 to fix a port :D

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133075

I do this for a living and we charge less than $100 to fix a port :D

Maybe their quote included replacing the home button as well, as that was giving me fits as well due to pocket lint that had migrated up the charging port. A good cleaning solved the issue with the home button, but the charge port is still finicky...

Either way, best to be able to inspect the phone prior to purchase. My phone is 6/10, as it has more then typical scratches (port, past home button issue, 1 dead pixel that is almost impossible to see, but I know its there) - all of which would never show up on an eBay auction. I would never sell my phone as a 10, but many would.

You should discriminate between "jailbroken" and "sim unlocked" phones. Jailbreaking refers to hacking the OS so that you can run software of any origin on the phone. It does not have anything to do with putting a sim in from a different carrier. You want a phone with a sim unlock, which lets you put any sim into it so you can roam more freely.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

As it turns out, my cousin found one on her own.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Back