• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is the highest profile....

What is the highest profile tire I can put on a 16/17 combo? (lowered on H&Rs)

I'm scraping my front and sides EVERYWHERE (body kit), so I'm wondering if I can thicken up the rubber to give a little bit of clearance (and tire wear ;))

Thanks in advance to anyone with some insight..

You shouldn't change the overall diameters of the tires too much from the original as this will cause the TCS to engage. Probably to reduce the scraping you could change the spring to a higher one. I replaced my eibach to original one due to the same problem.

What is the highest profile tire I can put on a 16/17 combo? (lowered on H&Rs)

I'm scraping my front and sides EVERYWHERE (body kit), so I'm wondering if I can thicken up the rubber to give a little bit of clearance (and tire wear ;))

Thanks in advance to anyone with some insight..

How wide are your rims? Check hear ( http://www.tirerack.com/about/techcenter.jsp ) and see if you can go with smaller tread width it will give you a smaller contact patch but the tires will role over more on the edge giving you more clarence in the wheel well and on the inside when you turn steering lock to lock. That way you will have the same overall diameter and will not effect the TCS. The only downside to this is your contact patch will be smaller.

For instance OEM for a front tire 92 NSX is 205/50-15 the 205 is what you would need to change. (make it smaller) to have everything work with your set up. Its cheaper to buy tires then change your entire suspension + get an alinement to make your current tires fit.

205 is width
50 is how thick the tire is or profile
15 is the diameter of the wheel the tire is going on

Last edited:
Thickening the rubber as you put it will do the exact opposite of what you want.You need more clearence so a lower profile or thinner rubber(tire profile) is what you need.I would stick to 215/45/16 and 245/40/17 rear.

Last edited:
With 16"/17" wheels, you should be using 205/45-16 or 215/45-16 front tires, and 245/40-17 or 255/40-17 rear tires. And don't use the 205 front with the 255 rear.

Thickening the rubber as you put it will do the exact opposite of what you want.You need more clearence so a lower profile or thinner rubber(tire profile) is what you need.I would stick to 215/45/16 and 245/40/17 rear.
i think we are misunderstanding this fellow. his bodywork is rubbing against the ground when he goes up and down driveways. his tires are not rubbing...

Ahhh I see now,,but if he tries to elevate his car with taller tires he will probably cause tcs and possibly fender interference issues.That said he should consider solving his problem with suspension not tires.

Hehe, thanks for the help guys. Yeah, I meant the bodywork. What would you recommend in terms of suspension set up? Perhaps there is an adjustable shock that will work well with my h&r springs? Or do I have to go all out adjustable coilovers?

I've heard of electronically rising shocks that allow for a temporary height increase.

Its a daily driver but when all is said and done I would like to do some track days next season.

Hehe, thanks for the help guys. Yeah, I meant the bodywork. What would you recommend in terms of suspension set up? Perhaps there is an adjustable shock that will work well with my h&r springs? Or do I have to go all out adjustable coilovers?

I've heard of electronically rising shocks that allow for a temporary height increase.

Its a daily driver but when all is said and done I would like to do some track days next season.

What H&Rs do you have. I remember reading that many people had H&R Cup Kits which had a huge drop and aren't adjustable. I've got my Wings West Kit, that makes contact with pavement at only a few places, but other then that my Eibach Springs/Bilstein Shocks do a great job of keeping the car slighty firmer and lower while preventing contact with the ground.

Well that is your problem.The HR springs with stock shocks give you a pretty low ride.Do a search about stock springs with bilstein shocks,zanardi springs with koni shocks,or you could explore posts with folks who have a myriad of coil-over settups.I would suggest getting involved in nsx club events to see what other owners have done.You could also post pics of your car to help us better apreciate what body mods have been done,overhangs ect.

you always go up driveways over the curb at an angle, correct?
something all corvette, ferrari owners know...

Yes, I had this very issue and I solved it with higher profile tires. I calculated very carefully and came up with the following tire sizes:

225/50/16 (front)
255/50/17 (rear)

I've been running them for a year and they work perfectly. The TCS is very happy with the ratio. It even fills up the wheel well a bit better too.

The problem is that I could not find a single brand tire that had both of those sizes within the same model. Yes, I am running different brands and that is the only issue that bothers me.

Back