• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is the realistic value of a used 2004 NSX??

Hi guys,

What is the trade in value for a 2004 NSX Blk/Blk with approximately 3000 miles?

What would be a reasonable price to privately sell the car on the open market and not wait an eternity doing so?

Thanks for your help.

i'm no expert... but I assume it would be worth the wait money-wise to sell instead of trade in... am i correct guys?

*edit* - i just looked at your car list... a few thousand dollars may not matter to u as much as me, lol.... i'm in college, i'd do anything for $4,000 LOL :D :D

rickysals said:
i'm no expert... but I assume it would be worth the wait money-wise to sell instead of trade in... am i correct guys?

*edit* - i just looked at your car list... a few thousand dollars may not matter to u as much as me, lol.... i'm in college, i'd do anything for $4,000 LOL :D :D

Right now I am just entertaining the thought of selling the car. I would rather sell it to a private individual if possible, but don't know what is the right price to liquidate the car relatively quickly. Also, if the U.S. market only has approximately 225 new buyers each year for an NSX, is the market a lot smaller for a barely used one?

I don't want to lose a lot of money ($10-15k) over just several months of ownership, but i am confused if the NSX will meet my needs. I originally wanted a GT3, but bought an NSX. Recently, I have been questioning my decision.

Thanks for your input.

I would say 65 to 70 private party sale but the main problem is there are very few people that can step up and spend that kind of money. It's unfortunate but new cars go down in value a lot in the first year so unless you bought it for dealer cost selling it for 10 or more under what you paid for it is very likely.:(

Is this too optimistic or reasonable?

Trade in value: $68-70k
Private party: $70-72k

Last edited:
man do i wish i lived in the States.i just did a conversion on XE.com and $70,000 translates as £37,500.in the UK 04 NSX's fetch anything upto £58,000.thats $107,600 :eek: :eek: :eek: .
you guys don't realise how good you got it :(

jaytip nsx said:
man do i wish i lived in the States.i just did a conversion on XE.com and $70,000 translates as £37,500.in the UK 04 NSX's fetch anything upto £58,000.thats $107,600 :eek: :eek: :eek: .
you guys don't realise how good you got it :(

Yeah, but can't you get a Ferrari 360 for like 75K?

supprisingly,you can pick up a 360 for as "little" as £59,000 ($107,500) as long as you dont mind sitting on the left.what sort of money are these cars bringing in the States then?

Actually you can go as low as 100k$ and have it with the seat on the correct side... here it is a common proce for a 1999 or a 2000 with more than 20k miles.

And the dollar is at a veeeeery low: one year ago you would have paid 93k$! :eek:

CerberusM5 said:
Is this too optimistic or reasonable?

Trade in value: $68-70k
Private party: $70-72k
Well... let's start out with some data points.

I think we can all agree that a used car is not worth as much as a new car. So the value is less than a new NSX. Right now, the dealer cost for a new NSX is around $80K, including destination charge. Acura is running a dealer incentive of $5K. So you can probably buy a brand new NSX-T for say somewhere around $80K, give or take a grand or two, which allows for $5K of dealer profit on the sale, which is fairly generous. Therefore, a used NSX-T (even one in showroom condition with very low miles) would be worth significantly less than that amount.

This 2004 NSX-T was bid up to $65K on eBay (didn't sell because it didn't meet reserve). I think prices tend to be slightly on the low side on eBay, due to the perception of high risk. Therefore, a used 2004 NSX-T would be worth slightly more than that.

So we know we're looking at somewhere between $65K and $78-82K. And not very close to the higher range.

If this were my car, I would look for $67-68K from a private party. I might list it at $72K obo if I had a lot of time, and drop the listed price to $69,995 if I didn't get a suitable offer quickly; I would list it at $69,995 if I wanted to try to sell it within a few weeks. Expect to negotiate downwards from your listed price by at least a couple large. Keep in mind that the market for almost-new used cars is exceedingly small, so don't expect a lot of serious interest.

As for trade-in value, why not ask your local Acura dealer what they would give you for it? Better yet, consider trading it in on your purchase of the Porsche you're considering. In most states (with the notable exception of California), you will receive a sales tax benefit on the trade-in. So, for example, if your local sales tax is 8 percent, and they give you $60K on the trade-in, that means that you will pay $4,800 less in sales tax on your purchase - so that puts the same amount in your pocket as selling the car for $64,800.

Incidentally, if you are really concerned about the market value of your car, you might be better off getting a used car next time (no flame intended, just stating fact). The original owner of almost any new car takes a big hit in depreciation; in general, the older the car, the more it has already depreciated and the more value it will retain.

nsxtasy said:
Well... let's start out with some data points.

I think we can all agree that a used car is not worth as much as a new car. So the value is less than a new NSX. Right now, the dealer cost for a new NSX is around $80K, including destination charge. Acura is running a dealer incentive of $5K. So you can probably buy a brand new NSX-T for say somewhere around $80K, give or take a grand or two, which allows for $5K of dealer profit on the sale, which is fairly generous. Therefore, a used NSX-T (even one in showroom condition with very low miles) would be worth significantly less than that amount.

This 2004 NSX-T was bid up to $65K on eBay (didn't sell because it didn't meet reserve). I think prices tend to be slightly on the low side on eBay, due to the perception of high risk. Therefore, a used 2004 NSX-T would be worth slightly more than that.

So we know we're looking at somewhere between $65K and $78-82K. And not very close to the higher range.

If this were my car, I would look for $67-68K from a private party. I might list it at $72K obo if I had a lot of time, and drop the listed price to $69,995 if I didn't get a suitable offer quickly; I would list it at $69,995 if I wanted to try to sell it within a few weeks. Expect to negotiate downwards from your listed price by at least a couple large. Keep in mind that the market for almost-new used cars is exceedingly small, so don't expect a lot of serious interest.

As for trade-in value, why not ask your local Acura dealer what they would give you for it? Better yet, consider trading it in on your purchase of the Porsche you're considering. In most states (with the notable exception of California), you will receive a sales tax benefit on the trade-in. So, for example, if your local sales tax is 8 percent, and they give you $60K on the trade-in, that means that you will pay $4,800 less in sales tax on your purchase - so that puts the same amount in your pocket as selling the car for $64,800.

Incidentally, if you are really concerned about the market value of your car, you might be better off getting a used car next time (no flame intended, just stating fact). The original owner of almost any new car takes a big hit in depreciation; in general, the older the car, the more it has already depreciated and the more value it will retain.

nsxtasy,

Thank you for the detailed analysis in regards to the value of my NSX. It sounds very reasonable to me.

I know that depreciation on a new car is tremendous in the first year, let alone the first four months of ownership. The thought of selling the car for more than $10k back of dealer cost sounds depressing. The car is worth more to me than that. Maybe I like my NSX more than I think I do?? :confused:

After realizing the cold reality of how much money will be lost selling my car, I think I will keep it and carefully choose modificatiions that will change the personality of my NSX more to my liking versus stock.

Thanks again for the feedback.

CerberusM5 said:
nsxtasy,

Thank you for the detailed analysis in regards to the value of my NSX. It sounds very reasonable to me.

I know that depreciation on a new car is tremendous in the first year, let alone the first four months of ownership. The thought of selling the car for more than $10k back of dealer cost sounds depressing. The car is worth more to me than that. Maybe I like my NSX more than I think I do?? :confused:

After realizing the cold reality of how much money will be lost selling my car, I think I will keep it and carefully choose modificatiions that will change the personality of my NSX more to my liking versus stock.

Thanks again for the feedback.

I agree. That is a wonderful car and why not enjoy it for awhile. I would.

Got any pics of it?

CerberusM5 said:
I think I will keep it and carefully choose modificatiions that will change the personality of my NSX more to my liking versus stock.

I think that is a great idea. The NSX is a wonderful car stock. Modified it can be incredible. Enjoy your car! Get it out to the track and see what she can really do!

Ya was going to say I think you would be better off investing in a Comptech Supercharger and suspension upgrades rather than taking such a loss on the car.

Back