• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is typical paint thickness?

I just got a paint thickness gauge, and am wondering what depths to expect around the car.

I've got a red 91, if it matters.

Kinda...I'm looking for micrometer numbers others have seen with paint depth gauge. I'm seeing around 125-150.

pm pbassjoe

for long beach blue pearl paint thickness is around 150-160 microns
IMGP2801.jpg

Which is about 6 mils. Don't put too much emphasis on the color. It very likely the thickness would be different from another car, the same color even one made the same day.

The Long Beach Blue Pearl will more likely have a different reading than a single stage Red. Simple because it is a triple stage paint. However, the difference wont be anything earth shattering but may slightly higher than most other single stages. I'd say a 120-150 range would be expected on most factory painted NSXs.

OK all you experts...how many stage is a 91 and what are they, PLEAZE. I also heard that there was a special hardener used on the black roof of the 91. Any stories behind that rumor?
Thanks.
Bruce

OK all you experts...how many stage is a 91 and what are they, PLEAZE.

Base/clear except for the red which the original was done in a two stage with a tinted magenta clear. In the after market it should be done in a tri-stage though NONE of the paint companies have such a formula in their databases anymore EXCEPT FOR PPG IN SOLVENT FORMULAS ONLY.
I still have and use a tri-stage color for the Formula Red and have helped many NSX owners around the world to derive formulas specific to their shop's paint brand of choice to achieve the correct magenta/side tone.

I'm not directing the following to you Bone-Stock so please don't take it as such.

I've gone over this with the Formula red and the whys and wherefores so many times in the past ten years here on Prime that I just can't do it any more. If some Prime member decides to challenge this and someone wants to believe them then use whatever goofy color they think is right.:cool:

You want the right Formula red? Then come to my shop or, you, or your shop, PM or call and I will help you/them get on the right track. It would be my pleasure to assist you or your shop's painter.

I also heard that there was a special hardener used on the black roof of the 91. Any stories behind that rumor?
Thanks.
Bruce

I have never seen any story or rumor in this regard. You want one? Let start one! :biggrin:

Seriously though, the 1991 roof is base/clear black and I use Berlina Black for this.

Last edited:
I am thinking maybe in the U.S. things are different? In Canada PPG still lists R-77 as a tri coat:

R-77 Formula Red, Base

Formula Red, Top

I am thinking maybe in the U.S. things are different? In Canada PPG still lists R-77 as a tri coat:

R-77 Formula Red, Base

Formula Red, Top

Those are solvent based colors. PPG's DBC (4367) which is listed as a tri-stage (4367/2 is the mid coat) and the other(4437) is PPG Global top coat only so yes, you are right and I stand corrected, thanks.

This may be the only company that still has it as such. Most everyone else had done away with the formula years ago.

Angus are you sure they still use solvent based automotive paints where you live?

I called the PPG tech line and they believe BC and Canada did away with solvent automotive paints just like Europe and parts of California so neither of those formulas would be of any relevance up there.

PPG EnviroBase(waterbourne) is what we use and the in waterbourne the 4367 is a base clear/formula, no mid coat, and the latter 4437 is not in that catalog at all.

HTH.

Angus are you sure they still use solvent based automotive paints where you live?

I called the PPG tech line and they believe BC and Canada did away with solvent automotive paints just like Europe and parts of California so neither of those formulas would be of any relevance up there.

PPG EnviroBase(waterbourne) is what we use and the in waterbourne the 4367 is a base clear/formula, no mid coat, and the latter 4437 is not in that catalog at all.

HTH.

We have not changed over yet , they keep saying it but not yet... We are definitely in trouble when it happens though!

I can see what you mean if you guys are on the waterbourne system already , it will be hell for a while till things get sorted out.

Angus, I don't think that anyone will find it that hard to make the conversion. I wonder what's up with the folks at PPG Tech Support thinking things were changed up there.:confused:

We've been doing about a year and a half and frankly it is superior finish and better process all around.

The look of the paint has the solvents beat. The PPG Envirobase is what the new Ferrari factory uses as well as Lamborghini and Maserati. They all dumped the Glasurit. This is a better product.

BTW you can make a tri-stage version of the Formula Red but it's not in the PPG waterbase catalog.

At the 10+ mil range is where you begin to impact panel definition.

Think of a garbage bag. A really heavy one is about 1 mil. Now think of 10 of them on top of one and other. Press it down flat and tight over something and you'll see what I mean.

Back