• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What makes NSX an Exotic?

It's exotic because with the mid engine layout, someone could probably sculpt a body kit to make it look exactly like a Ferrari F50. I would love to see that someday if only someone were so creative.

You are joking right?

Exotic, supercar, hyper car, sports car... all these names are not clearly defined and often used interchangeably.

For me: Gordon Murray calls the NSX a supercar.

Is the NSX an exotic? First define exotic -and agree with it.

Is the NSX a supercar? - YES.

differentiation...

Is the NSX a supercar? - YES.
Whereas I feel the NSX is an exotic, I don't feel quite the same in dubbing it a "supercar."

I've always felt supercars were a different breed unto themselves...

Supercars:
- Lamborghini Countach
- Ferrari 288GTO
- Porsche 959
- Ferrari F40
- Vector W8
- Bugatti EB110
- Ferrari Testarossa
- Jaguar XJ220
- Lamborghini Diablo
- Mclaren F1
- Ferrari F50
- Spyker C8
- Ford GT
- Porsche Carrera GT
- Lamborghini Murcielago LP460
- Mercedes-Benz SLR Mclaren
- Ferrari Enzo / FXX
- Saleen S7
- Pagani Zonda
- Koeniggseg CCX/R
- Bugatti Veyron
- Lamborghini Reventon

Exotics:
- Lotus ESPRIT
- BMW M1
- Ferrari 208 / 248 / 308 / 328 / 348 / 355 / 360 / 430
- Acura/Honda NSX
- Lamborghini Gallardo
- TVR Sagaris
- Audi R8

Nota Bena: The lists above aren't exhaustive, nor are they objective... these are merely my personal designations based on my own subjective criteria!

Re: differentiation...

Whereas I feel the NSX is an exotic, I don't feel quite the same in dubbing it a "supercar."

Supercars:
- Lamborghini Countach
- Ferrari 288GTO
- Porsche 959
- Ferrari F40
- Vector W8
- Bugatti EB110
- Ferrari Testarossa
- Jaguar XJ220
- Lamborghini Diablo
- Mclaren F1
- Ferrari F50
- Spyker C8
- Ford GT
- Porsche Carrera GT
- Ferrari Enzo / FXX
- Saleen S7
- Pagani Zonda
- Koeniggseg CCX/R
- Bugatti Veyron
- Lamborghini Reventon

Exotics:
- Lotus ESPRIT
- BMW M1
- Acura/Honda NSX
- Lamborghini Gallardo
- TVR Sagaris
- Audi R8

Nota Bena: The lists above aren't exhaustive, nor are they objective... these are merely my personal designations based on my own subjective criteria!

I see what you mean, but does that means the current super cars will get drop to exotic car level when faster cars are out?

NSX back in 1990 may not have the performance figure of a F40 or 959, but it was definitely on par with cars like Countach and Testarossa.

This may be an off the wall example, but if a girl is know to the world as a beauty, does she loose that title as she age?

Or does a 1950 F1 champ looses his title because the current generation of cars are much faster?

I believe the title of exotic or super cars are assigned when they were built, and they should loose the title just because some thing new and faster comes out years later. I believe it is the impact of what the car did to the automotive industry that counts. which earn the title. I much rather think the Ferrari Daytona or Lambo Muira are still a super car, as well as an exotic.

Also, no one mention the world "Hyper" car.

here-n-now...

I see what you mean, but does that means the current super cars will get drop to exotic car level when faster cars are out?
No man, absolutely not. An exotic or supercar is only comparable to it's contemporaries of the same era.

I do understand what you mean and I agree... but, I didn't say performance dictates whether a car was a supercar or exotic.

The Lamborghini Countach was produced from 1974 - 1990.

The Ferrari Testarossa was produced from 1984 - 1996.

Both, upon inception to the masses exhibited the prowess and traits of being 'supercars' of their time.

The NSX was offered starting in 1991 (as far as model-year goes).

I didn't include cars produced prior to the 70's (as you listed the Daytona and Miura) because the concept of "supercar" and the marketing phenomenon that persists now wasn't existent then.

I *think* you misinterpreted my post. I don't think a car which is an exotic or supercar of it's day and age will lose it's status if newer higher-performance cars come out. A car which was an exotic or supercar in the 70's or 80's or 90's is still an exotic or supercar despite what may have superceded it in the present.

Yes, I love the NSX. HeII, I'm infatuated w/ it. But I don't put it into realm of being a 'supercar' (based on my critera), even in it's hey-day. An exotic? For sure! :cool:

I believe the title of exotic or super cars are assigned when they were built, and they should loose the title just because some thing new and faster comes out years later.
You mean, not lose their title... correct?

Damnit Vance, proofread your comments before you post; you confoozle me! :D

Supercars:
- Lamborghini Countach
- Ferrari 288GTO
- Porsche 959
- Ferrari F40
- Vector W8
- Bugatti EB110
- Ferrari Testarossa
- Jaguar XJ220
- Lamborghini Diablo
- Mclaren F1
- Ferrari F50
- Spyker C8
- Ford GT
- Porsche Carrera GT
- Ferrari Enzo / FXX
- Saleen S7
- Pagani Zonda
- Koeniggseg CCX/R
- Bugatti Veyron
- Lamborghini Reventon

Exotics:
- Lotus ESPRIT
- BMW M1
- Acura/Honda NSX
- Lamborghini Gallardo
- TVR Sagaris
- Audi R8

I understand where you're coming from, but the NSX was a better performing car than the Ferrari 348 in all aspects, would you not consider the 348 to be a supercar (for the time)?

Regardless I have to kindly agree with Gordon Murray over you :smile:

tiers...

would you not consider the 348 to be a supercar (for the time)?
I personally have a demarcation in mind that places exotics in one realm, and supercars in another. To myself, the Ferrari 348 is definitely an exotic car w/o a doubt! But, I feel it can't be comparable to others who seem to fit the supercar persona moreso.

stuntman said:
Regardless I have to kindly agree with Gordon Murray over you
Gordon Murray didn't make the distinction of exotic vs. supercar. If the category of 'exotic' doesn't exist as in his interview statements w/ Honda, then of-course the NSX would be a considered a 'supercar'.

...would you not consider the 348 to be a supercar (for the time)?...

I agree with Osiris.

The F348 was most definitely exotic but not a supercar in my mind. F348 performance was horrendous and wasn't competitive to the other cars in it's class. Even today's version, the F430, I don't classify as a supercar.

There's some debate about supercar vs hypercar, such as the Koenigsegg or Zonda being hypercars but the line is blurring. There was a time, even recently, when only a handful of cars were really that fast but now I think supercar and hypercar are the same. Clearly the F430 is in a different class than the Zonda. The NSX was in a different class than the McLaren F1.

JMO

I agree with Osiris.

The F348 was most definitely exotic but not a supercar in my mind. F348 performance was horrendous and wasn't competitive to the other cars in it's class. Even today's version, the F430, I don't classify as a supercar.

There's some debate about supercar vs hypercar, such as the Koenigsegg or Zonda being hypercars but the line is blurring. There was a time, even recently, when only a handful of cars were really that fast but now I think supercar and hypercar are the same. Clearly the F430 is in a different class than the Zonda.
You wouldn't call the F430 a supercar based on its performance?

FYI -an F430 is has more power and is faster in a straight line than an F40

The NSX was in a different class than the McLaren F1.

JMO
Again... Gordon Murray (the guy who designed the McLaren F1) calls the NSX a supercar -and I'm sticking with that :biggrin:

I think F40's best time is 3.2 nil to 60.

Regardless, I rather spend my $300k for a used F40 than a F430. I know the car will go up in value, and posses a major historical value.

When I think of an "Exotic" car, it means that many more engineering hours and were invested to optimize the layout of the engine and drivetrain, geometry of the suspension and steering, driver's position and visibility, aerodynamics, weight, center of gravity, and every other aspect of the design in every feasable way to enhance the performance and handling capability of the car. Sexy lines are a bonus for the NSX, some exotics are ugly as hell.

I also think that the NSX is a Supercar for those reasons and more. I read a lot of complaining about the lack of horsepower but the fact remains that with a skilled driver, a stock NSX can play with the big boys. Sure there are more capable cars in the market now, but lets talk about cars that were available in 1991...nothing else comes close.

I think the price is very reasonable for a vehicle that has those traits. It's unfortunate that the car did not receive enough acceptance and appreciation to finance many improvements during the latter years of its production.

Add that to the Wiki....:biggrin:

we need to stop speculating and start feeling sorry for people who honestly think special edition vettes (where they simply supercharged an already-existing vette motor and put some carbon on it and some big wheels and nice brakes), special edition mustangs (where they simply supercharged an already-existing motor and put some different ground effects on it and some decals), and other non-special cars are "exotic".

(btw, i don't even think of the mustang as a sports car..... it's a "sporty" car.)

if you can't see that the nsx is special over such cars, and can't tell which cars are exotic and which aren't.... then you don't know anything about cars.

Vancehu, Jond and Osiris...I am blown away by your insight into this topic! Once again Nsxprime lives up to its name!! I am one who sees the NSX is an exotic sportscar and not a supercar...but I believe that my bias comes from the fact that I am comparing it to cars that have probably being influenced by it!! Lets not forget that Ferrari definately came out of its shell after the NSX hit the world stage. I am not sure what Lamborghini was doing in the back room...but it is interesting to see how her design - especially her interior changed!!:eek: If anything - I am rest-assured that the more intelligent driver chooses the NSX due to its breath-taking looks, ability and reliability.

Dam :cool:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/editorial/112_0603_the_asphalt_jungle_ayrton_senna

Motortrend think it is a exotic car:biggrin:

The Asphalt Jungle: Ayrton's Car
Farewell to the original Acura NSX, the landmark exotic from Japan--and Brazil

By Arthur St. Antoine
Photography by Lionel Deluy Art By Flash Art

They also call it a Supercar: :cool:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/112_news050712_nsx
Acura has officially confirmed that it is developing a new sports car to succeed the long-running NSX supercar.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/editorial/112_0603_the_asphalt_jungle_ayrton_senna
Today, Ferraris are far quicker--and considerably more civilized than before, their game raised by this Japanese supercar.

I pull into our local safeway today and park next to a yellow lambo gallardo. I just had the new Bilistein shocks installed which lowered the car about 1.5 inches. I just have to say my yellow o3 kicked its ass on looks. It made me feel better about my purchase.

I pull into our local safeway today and park next to a yellow lambo gallardo. I just had the new Bilistein shocks installed which lowered the car about 1.5 inches. I just have to say my yellow o3 kicked its ass on looks. It made me feel better about my purchase.

Gallardos don't really look all that great. They're sort of, dare I say, boring...

Gallardos don't really look all that great. They're sort of, dare I say, boring...

I'd rather see an NSX on the road than a Gallardo. (OT) Also, the F430 is kind of ugly compared to a 360, IMO. The Enzo, on the other hand, will never be boring.

NSX falls short of an exotic in my book. Just not enough hp. It looks cool though.

Back