• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

what momo hub fits a 92 nsx

Originally posted by Jan Christensen:
Does any one the part number for a momo hub for a 92 nsx?

Hey Jan: This is Enrique Thompson from Crazy4Cars Racing.I'm the importer for Momo in Panama. The correct part number is 4916 unfortunately it is discontinued. However if you take the Civic 4911 and buy from Momo the hub spacer to get the wheel closer to you it will work perfect.
Other possibility could be for you to get an aftermarket one like the one Chris from science of speed sells. This is the one on my car.
http://www.nsxprime.com/Gallery/owners/ethompson/enriqu27_small.jpg

Regards,
Enrique Thompson
Crazy4Cars Racing
Momo,Panama

[This message has been edited by pronto3000 (edited 05 January 2002).]

Hi Enrique --

I could be mistaken, however, the Civic hub that you mention would need to be modified more to fit the NSX.

1. The bottom of the hub is too long and will drag and scratch the plastic on the steering console. This surface will need to be machined down.

2. The position of the hub is wrong, and it will not align the steering wheel properly on the hub. You'll need to drill and tap holes offset about 15 degrees.

Cheers,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
Hi Enrique --

I could be mistaken, however, the Civic hub that you mention would need to be modified more to fit the NSX.

1. The bottom of the hub is too long and will drag and scratch the plastic on the steering console. This surface will need to be machined down.

2. The position of the hub is wrong, and it will not align the steering wheel properly on the hub. You'll need to drill and tap holes offset about 15 degrees.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Chris: I know what you mean, I was just giving an alternative if the hub that he is looking for does not become available to him.
It can be done if you do it right. I did it here in Panama in a customer car. You have to modify the kit a tiny bit, but after that it does works perfect.

Enrique

Another hub that I have is the Mugen and it has the wires to plug the SRS light into and has the wire for the horn. Gruppe M also has a hub that will fit all of the steering wheels.

Hi Ken --

Both hubs require no modifications and are "bolt on" kits. The SRS light can be jumped with a 1-cent piece of wire, so that's no reason for Mugen to be selling the hub for $500 :)

The ScienceofSpeed has crumple riggers that are designed to collapse with impact. This hub has a brass reel that may be used to create a contact with the horn. I mounted by cruise control easily by placing it on the steering column trim under the steering wheel.

The TAITEC hub is billet aluminum, so it does not have the crumple riggers.

Regards,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

Chris (or anyone) --

The SoS website for those hubs state:

"This allows you to use an aftermarket racing steering wheel for the ultimate in feedback from your NSX. You will be amazed at the level communication you will now have with your NSX by using this hub and a race steering wheel."

Does changing steering wheels really improve the feedback you get from the car?

*TREMENDOUSLY*

The steering hub allows you to change to a lighter and smaller diameter wheel. This helps in conveying feedback to the driver in several ways including: less rotational mass (the hub & steering wheel is quite a bit ligher), inputs and feedback are more precise, steering wheel rim can be wider and more 'grippy' than stock, etc.

With this arrangement, you don't have to loose your horn and cruise control. The two functions can exist with the hub, steering wheel.

If I had to do my NSX all over again, I would start with the steering wheel first.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

[This message has been edited by ScienceofSpeed (edited 06 January 2002).]

I have the SOS hub. No mod needed to install, works as advertised. Great product.

------------------
G Dummy~

Faster than stock.
:D :D :D

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
Hi Enrique --

Is this something that could be accomplished cleanly with a dremel tool and some patience?

By this, do you mean that when you mount the steering wheel, it will be turned about 15 degrees? Could this problem be solved by making a spacer that attaches to the holes in the hub, and then has mounting holes 15 degrees off for the steering wheel to attach, and then at the same time solves the problem of position along the steering axis?

Lastly, assuming the two problems Chris raises are solved, does the hub provide good, clean support for horn and cruise control, or just for the horn?

-Mike

This is a simple part that SOS can sell to you at a low price. I don't see the point of shopping around for something that doesn't work right and wasting your time hacking it. TIME(a lot) versus MONEY(very little)

------------------
G Dummy~

Faster than stock.
:D :D :D

Originally posted by maomaonsx:
This is a simple part that SOS can sell to you at a low price. I don't see the point of shopping around for something that doesn't work right and wasting your time hacking it. TIME(a lot) versus MONEY(very little)

The momo civic hub should be about $50. I'm hoping I could convince someone to make a run of spacer/adapters to make those affordable, since there's probably enough people out there that'd jump on a sub-$100 solution. I'd think it should be quite possible to make a spacer for $50 or less (I'd hope for $10 or less if enough were made, but I haven't done any research). Then a little time with a dremel tool, and I'm out $100 plus a few hours extra hours of time. The next cheapest solution on the market is the SoS hub at $200 which doesn't provide for cruise control on the wheel. After that is the Taitec hub at $300 + international freight. For comparison, the cost of the steering wheel is only about $200. It seems totally worth it to me to save $100-200 or more, and possibly come out of it with a good solution that other people can take advantage of (or a good reason why other people shouldn't worry about trying to save $100-200, heh).

-Mike

I've just fitted a Momo Civic 4911 hub. It was very very easy, I added a sparco hub spacer to bring the steering wheel out and the whole lot cost less than $100. The big advantage to me is that its collapsible. If your going to remove the airbag at least make it collapse.

As far as the 15 degrees of adjustment is concerned there are 36 splines on the nsx steering wheel so the MOST you can be out is 5 degrees, it was very easy to elongate the holes in the spacer and now my steering wheel is straighter than ever!

It did rub VERY slightly on the steering console but 2 minutes with a lathe (or 30 minutes with a dremel) certainly fixed that.

My feeling is that unless you like spending money the Civic hub is the best choice by far.

Chris Gearing

I am running the taitec hub with momo corse 80 wheel and love it.
david

Sorry to revive such an old post but it contains some relevant data to my question and proves that I have at least tried to search for the answer. :smile:

With the Momo 4911 hub, how do you get the horn to work?

I have actually installed a sparco hub and spacer (hub part #01502083) and I'm assuming getting the horn to work requires a similar solution....I just need somebody to tell me what that solution is please...:smile:

....and one more question; after installing the replacement hub, being a smaller diameter, a small semi-circular hole is visible in the steering cowel, bottom left of the hub. Has anyone got any neat solutions to making this hole slightly less obtrusive?

Sorry to revive such an old post but it contains some relevant data to my question and proves that I have at least tried to search for the answer. :smile:

With the Momo 4911 hub, how do you get the horn to work?

I have actually installed a sparco hub and spacer (hub part #01502083) and I'm assuming getting the horn to work requires a similar solution....I just need somebody to tell me what that solution is please...:smile:

As this has been bumped, here's a copy of a link answering my question and more:

http://www.evobreed.com/wheel install/NSX Wheel Install.htm

As I said in my post: "I have actually installed a sparco hub and spacer (hub part #01502083)".

I think from the research I have done, the Sparco part is a better option because the hub does not rub against the cowel after initial installation.

You should find that the Momo and the Sparco hubs are similarly priced. I'm in the UK and had to order the Sparco part from the US and got it from ebay delivered for $90....Don't forget to buy the 15mm spacer ring too and longer bolts...

Last edited:
Back