• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

what shift knob to get?

I'll be installing the SOS short shift kit pretty soon and while the center console is exposed, I've deceided to change shif knobs while I'm at it. I can't deceid between the SOS Rapid NSX-R Shift Knob , the Dali Mini Me Shift Knob (you can see from the photo that it's pretty small), or the Dali Billet Aluminum Black Anodized. If anyone has purchased any of these shift knobs and can offer some sort of feedback as to why or why not to purchase anyone in particular, I'd appreciate it. Yes I know some of you would never buy from Dali again :frown:, but I've purchased items from Mark in the past and have had no problems :biggrin:. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

NSX-R all the way!

I have one from Dali and just adding that knob makes the gear changes feel alot more crisp. Should be awesome whith the ss-kit.

Those other two looks like sex toys or something.:tongue:

Another option for you. I changed mine to the HEAVY round leather one from the 2004-2005 models and i love it.

knob1.jpg

Last edited:
I will give my 2 cents.. I just picked up the NSX-R teardrop shift knob and carbon boot. The throw of the shifter feels shorter because of the small shift knob. I also like the heavy weight of the knob helps to engage the gears. I use to have a MOMO shifter and boot but the SOS knob feels a lot better.
OJ

This combo gets my vote..Its clean, sporty and ellegant (pricey knob but heck its an NSX) :biggrin:
Best of all they are OEM from Honda :cool:
You can get the 2004-2005 knob like i did from someone that changed theirs out for about the same price as buying the others. In fact i think i know someone that would sell one :smile:.

Nice Knobs Everyone:wink:

I have the NSX-R one and like it very much

Well the answer will depend on your hand size :rolleyes:

If you use gloves size L or XL, the Zanardi or Gruppe M type knobs will be too small to the feel in your palm. I had the Gruppe M for a while but I like Dali's Gruppe N version much better even though it doesn't come in the same color as the console:

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1981

Another consideration to keep in mind. With a short shift knob as opposed to the OEM pre 2002 knobs (and perhaps with the 2002 knobs as well), your knuckles will hit the ash tray cover if your hand size is L or XL. The short shifter resolves that as it reduces the throw :wink:

YMMV

I know itsnot on your list but may i suggest the Zanardi/ type-s knob - I absolutely LOVE mine!!! BEST knob i have ever held

except for my own of course.... ;P

The feel is perfect!

6429shift_knob.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts guys, I deceided to go with the SOS knob. It's a little smaller than what I thought it would be, definitely smaller than stock, but I think I'll get used to it. The factory boot attaches to the knob just like OEM, so that makes it a very quick install. No "jerry rigging" of the boot required. We also installed the SOS short shifter while we were down there. Thanks again to Steve (nsx1)for helping me with the install.

Attachments

• IMG_3912.JPG
    IMG_3912.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_3918.JPG
    IMG_3918.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_3919.JPG
    IMG_3919.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_3920.JPG
    IMG_3920.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 281
Hey Gene!

How did the install go?

Man handled the hell out of that vent hun? :biggrin:

would have like to been there to help you guys out, i was acturally in my NSX on my way out the door to drive down to Steve's house out here to see if i can catch you guys in the driveway. :wink:

Guess Mr. "Living it Large" was at his other pad. Saved me a trip tho.

How did that grease work out?

Catch you soon and happy motoring.

Yea, the vent was a pain. I'm sure it was probably the first time it's ever been removed. I believe Steve is the one who actually got it lose. We should have used one of these. Release the 2 clips on the bottom side of the vent with a .015 inch feeler gauge. Those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, you can search it on the web. I didn't use the grease; one, I couldn't find it in the garage, and 2, the joint that fits into the short shifter already had some grease on it. Funny thing about the short shifter though, it is a little more difficult to shift...just a little. Maybe because the shorter shift knob doesn't give me as much leverage when changing gears??:confused:

Attachments

• Picture_024-600x450.jpg
    Picture_024-600x450.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 357
Hi Gene

The Honda clips are a little tricky at times esp when you dont have the angle alined correctly when you are pulling them out. Rest assured that they are made to be removed with a strong tug.

The hard to shift issue is due to not adjusting the shift linkages correctly.

You'll have a hard time ESP shifting in to first. I have seen and driven some nsx "including my own when i first got it from the previous owner" with this problem. When it gets really out of wack, you wont even be able to shift in to first at times and if you think you had to man handle the vent, you'll literally have to open palm slap the shifter sideways to get it into gear.

aint nothing funnier than seeing a man wrestle with his shift knob when the light turns green and people are honking. i been there.:tongue:

as for the grease, you can get a little package from pepboys for 99cents. Any brake grease/bearing grease will work.

nice shift knob.

happy motoring.

I have the Dali Gruppe-N shift knob in machine finish. Its a great knob, it looks great, I like it because its heavy so shifting is a lot crisp, and I bet it would be great on a short-shirter kit.

However, I am more comfortable with longer shift-knobs similar to the zanardi knob. Honestly, I don't like the look of the zanardi knob, but it will benefit me more so.

If you are interested with the dali gruppe-n knob, let me know.

Good luck

niM

I need a 2005 OEM knob if someone wants to sell theirs....PM ME.

Back