• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What to do with original exhaust?

When I replaced my rear wing my original idea was to sell it on Ebay to help offset the cost of the new wing. However, when I told my buddies about this they said "No way, you always keep the original parts". That was news to me but I went along with it and kept the original wing anyway. Now I've replaced the original exhaust with an ARK DT-X (which soungs great by the way). Would you guys/gals keep the original exhaust or sell it?

Thanks

Mine went to the local dump, then somebody advertised they needed a '95 a month later and would pay $100:eek:

The sound of the TUBI more than makes up for the lost funds:D

I keep all my origional parts...

that way if i sell the car, i can have all the origional stuff
if the car gets wrecked i can give insurance all the OEM stuff and take my aftermarket stuff to sell without a hassle
it looks cool sitting in the living room

Depending on the parts, you may be able to get more money by re-installing the original parts and selling the aftermarket parts separately, than by selling the car as modified. It's especially true with parts whose aesthetics generally appeal to only a very small percentage of prospective buyers, such as huge aftermarket rear wings, garish interior color schemes, etc.

I've kept just about all my original parts that I have changed so far. HOWEVER, I don't ever plan on selling the car so I really don't know why I hang on to them.
Matter of fact, I have my OEM exhaust in my shed outside collecting dust right now.

The idea is when you sell your car, you put the original back on and sell the aftermarket. This gives you the least money lost.

For one, aftermarket parts do not add value to the car, and in many cases [NSX isn't a strong example] it can devalue the car as many more people prefer unmolested cars vs those looking for a modded one.

Second, it is much easier to sell an aftermarket part than an original for some cash. It doesn't really matter how much you paid vs what you sell it for, because both are worth the same on the car once you sell it; if that makes sense.

However, what is dumb, is when people give the OEM part with the aftermarket that is already installed on the car. I completely understand why, it is a version of 'professional laziness', as it is about as economically sound as throwing the originals into the dumpster so a homeless gentleman can use them to build a shack.

I put mine in the box the Taitec came in and put it in my mini-storage unit. I've done the same with every OEM part replaced with an aftermarket version for the same reasons as mentioned in the previous posts.

ncdogdoc said:
Mine went to the local dump, then somebody advertised they needed a '95 a month later and would pay $100:eek:

The sound of the TUBI more than makes up for the lost funds:D

I did the same and then someone was looking for a OEM exhaust for a experiment and I told him to call the dealer and see what they did with it.

I had my original exhaust and intake box...but when I moved i thin they got put in the trash box. :frown:

Back