• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What type of Turbo should I get for a 2003 Acura NSX-T

NSX_NICK

Registered Member
Hello all,

I hope I am posting in the correct area. I am looking for a Turbo Kit for an 03 NSX-T.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction? I have been told not to go with a dual turbo but a single turbo with boost set to 5. Any help would be appreciated.

I got a quote and the total was about $15,500.00 for the turbo kit, installed.

Here was my quote:

Job#1

Turbo Kit (upgraded turbo GT35r) - $9,000
AEM Standalone ECU w/ Base map - $1,250
AEM UEGO Wideband Guage Kit - $350
AE True Boost Guage/Controller Kit - $350
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch - $1,175.00

Job#2

Labor Install Clutch - $480
Labor Install Turbo kit, Guages, and acces. $1,600
Labor Dyno Tuning - $400

Thanks for your help!!!

Last edited:
I'm not familiar too much with turbo (come from SC land.) but I will be the first to say, your parts are cheap! From the AEM, clutch, wideband... if those are really the prices, good job. I paid $200 - $500 more for each item.

I am told this turbo is one of the best that can be put on the car, and that there isn't many with this kit installed, and the one who has this kit installed drives the car hard everyday.

Anyone know much about turbos for the NSX other than it will be sickening fast once completed? :p

Last edited:
This specific kit replaces the clutch, which I would like...Do most turbo kits replace the clutch???

Job#1

AEM Standalone ECU w/ Base map - $1,250

Job#2

Labor Dyno Tuning - $400

Job#3
New wheels - $3,000
Bilsteins - $500
Labor - $500

:biggrin:

Well, where exactly do you live? Or do you mind dropping your car off in another state for a certain amount of time or waiting for your turn or waiting to get it done?

I say Lovefab if you don't mind dropping your car off in Michigan @ Lovefab or in Arizona for SOS to install and tune it.

FactorX if you don't mind dropping it off for install and tuning in Las Vegas. I believe there is quite the waiting list though for your turn. Or atleast there was one when I inquired last summer.

Then there is HP Performance. You can install and have it tuned almost anywhere qualified and skilled enough to do it because they mail order their kit. Or better yet, drop it off in New Mexico for them to install and tune it.

And for the latest and greatest (imo) for SC would be to drop it off at Dali in San Diego for a badass SC install and tune. Cheaply priced too.

With a budget of $15,000 the options are there and quite a few more. I think the Lovefab and factorX install and tune runs higher than that though. For SC, you can get just about anything.

Most all of them SHOULD require an upgraded clutch because of the sickening amount of power increase to the wheels, but not all do require an upgrade. If you're going turbo, I surely would or any FI for that matter, except maybe base comptech SC.

Well, where exactly do you live? Or do you mind dropping your car off in another state for a certain amount of time or waiting for your turn or waiting to get it done?

I say Lovefab if you don't mind dropping your car off in Michigan @ Lovefab or in Arizona for SOS to install and tune it.

FactorX if you don't mind dropping it off for install and tuning in Las Vegas. I believe there is quite the waiting list though for your turn. Or atleast there was one when I inquired last summer.

Then there is HP Performance. You can install and have it tuned almost anywhere qualified and skilled enough to do it because they mail order their kit. Or better yet, drop it off in New Mexico for them to install and tune it.

And for the latest and greatest (imo) for SC would be to drop it off at Dali in San Diego for a badass SC install and tune. Cheaply priced too.

With a budget of $15,000 the options are there and quite a few more. I think the Lovefab and factorX install and tune runs higher than that though. For SC, you can get just about anything.

Most all of them SHOULD require an upgraded clutch because of the sickening amount of power increase to the wheels, but not all do require an upgrade. If you're going turbo, I surely would or any FI for that matter, except maybe base comptech SC.

I am wondering if anyone knows anything at all about this particular turbo, I only know not many have done this one.

Last edited:
There is not much tuning software for OBD-II.
you are playing with fire (so i have heard) I am not aware myself so i am speakng out of my arse here- please inform me-

but from i have been told, if you want FI on an OBD-II you should stick with a plug and play bolt up CTSC and the boost upgrade if you wish, beyond that you are pushing the ECU and need standalone, which AEM does not make for our cars -- well OBD 2 anyway

There is not much tuning software for OBD-II.
you are playing with fire (so i have heard) I am not aware myself so i am speakng out of my arse here- please inform me-

but from i have been told, if you want FI on an OBD-II you should stick with a plug and play bolt up CTSC and the boost upgrade if you wish, beyond that you are pushing the ECU and need standalone, which AEM does not make for our cars -- well OBD 2 anyway

I have a MSL AEM and my car has been running fine for over a year now. You can use that, the AEM FIC or the HKS F Con V Pro. There a quite a few OBD 2 turbo cars out there that are running with no issues.

Last edited:
I currently have the Comptech high boost SC setup and am really happy with it! However, if I was going to go turbo, I would definitely go with either HP or Lovefab. From what I have read on Prime those kits seem to be the best on the market by far!

As far as engine management for OBII NSX’s go, talk to Mike at Autowave ((866)528-6533). He has installed the AEM EMS on many OBII cars with a custom made harness (not a cheap hack job one, but a VERY nice professional harness).

Job#1

AEM Standalone ECU w/ Base map - $1,250 OBD2 incompatible

Job#2

Labor Dyno Tuning - $400

Looking at your quote, I have some misgivings about your installer. Specifically, the AEM Standalone will not work with an OBD2 car unless you get the modifed unit from SOS or Mike at Autowave (MSL-AEM). The MSL-AEM isn't just a modified harness but a modified unit. Alternatively, you could use the new AEM FIC but it is not a standalone but a piggyback device. Looking at the setup, it almost looks like the HP kit which has turned out very good results but costs less than what you have posted. Also, I don't know if you really need to replace your clutch at this time since it is brand new. If it starts to slip in the future, that is a different story. Also, 5 lbs of boost will not give you 500 RWHP, it should provide you maybe 400 RWHP assuming that you have a strong engine to start with. Having been down this road more than most, find out how many NSXs your installer has worked with and how many FI systems he has installed in the NSX. I would really consider shipping your car to some of the more experienced builders or you could contact one of the builders to come and do it in SC. I know of at least one of them whose has traveled to install and tune his setup.

He said that you do not know what your talking about and that it will work fine.

Last edited:
He said that you do not know what your talking about and that it will work fine. This is coming from a dude with a huge honda tattoo on his arm.

I would listen to some of the FI people here on prime. LOTS of experience from people here. ESPECIALLY jorligan. He's given you some valid things to consider.

i would also listen to the guy who is building it...since you will have a realationship with him...and a cyber relationship with all of us...

also...seems like there may be some details that are lost in the translation from him to you to this forum...
the prices seem like they are on par with how much is would cost...

the gt35r is a great turbo good for 500hp on your car....

have fun, and dont beleive everything you read and hear

marc

i would also listen to the guy who is building it...since you will have a realationship with him...and a cyber relationship with all of us...

also...seems like there may be some details that are lost in the translation from him to you to this forum...
the prices seem like they are on par with how much is would cost...

the gt35r is a great turbo good for 500hp on your car....

have fun, and dont beleive everything you read and hear

marc

All I know is he read his comment and said that he was wrong, but your right about the 500hp thats what he said it was capable of, but that would be boost set to 10? I do not know that, but I do know he said it would be best to set it to 5. All I know is want this done right, and needed a few opinions on this specific turbo that he wants to install...

Last edited:
He said that you do not know what your talking about and that it will work fine. This is coming from a dude with a huge honda tattoo on his arm.

There are now 3 aftermarket ECU's that will work with a OBDII NSX with TBW and the one you have listed(standard AEM) is not one of them. Good luck if you do not take some advice from the guys who have already tuned OBDII NSX's. You might end up with a tatoo of your own.:wink:

All I know is he read his comment and said that he was wrong, but your right about the 500hp thats what he said it was capable of, but that would be boost set to 10? I do not know that, but I do know he said it would be best to set it to 5. All I know is want this done right, and needed a few opinions on this specific turbo that he wants to install...He's done alot of turbos but I am not sure if he has done one or not for the NSX I never asked, but apparently he has done his research on all of the turbos available.

A boost set of 10 psi on a gt35R and hit 500 hp. MAYBE.....I would say more like 450 to 475. You will need around 12-13 psi to reach 500 hp for sure.

J. R.

I would look into a kit/company who had been doing FI turbo work on NSXs successfully for some time. You really do not want to be the guinea pig for any shop or 'tuner', especially on an NSX.

$0.02

I think your next question should be what else is necessary to hit 500hp or more since there are guys that have already posted answers above that are in the 600hp range.

Also I believe most owners here would agree that this block should be built for 400hp or more just for reliabilty sake.

As others suggest, do your due diligence.

The ECU that is listed is not compatible with your year of car (that's not "BS" as suggested). It won't even plug in. Also, the price listed is below dealer cost for the one that is incompatible with your year anyway, so make sure you know what you are getting. It would be good to clarify which "turbo kit" you are buying. There are some solid kits out there that are in your price range that I can assure you have a lot of R&D behind that a "one-off" will not have. An example would be:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/Lovefab/

Next, I've seen "500 hp" thrown around in this post, and your turbo sizing suggests this goal. However, your quote says nothing about engine modification. Understand that the stock engine (namely, the cast pistons) is not designed for this power level. It must be modified to accept this power level. The FRM lined engines are more difficult to build for low compression forged pistons as they must be sleeved.

Lastly, you need to understand that this kit in any iteration will not be California smog legal. In addition, using the engine management systems discussed will render the dead to the state's required OBD2 test requiring you to completely remove your "kit" and it's related components.

This is quite an extensive project that you are proposing with significant ramifications on the car. I suggest you plan out the project well with the assistance of experienced individuals with NSX forced induction experience.

-- Chris

Back