• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What will you be doing at 80 years old?

Stopped by Lime Rock yesterday for the SCCA Nationals and Paul Newman was racing. It is hard to believe he is still doing this at 80 years old but it is even more amazing that he came in 5th. Let's hope we can all be as fortunate and healthy at that age. http://photography.robertondrovic.com/gallery/681636/1/29541400

29541400-L.jpg

29541368-L.jpg

29541394-L.jpg

29541363-L.jpg

29541386-L.jpg

29541373-L.jpg

29541391-L.jpg

29541380-L.jpg

29541393-L.jpg

Last edited:
NSX-Racer said:
Great pics! Funny, but does he always get the starting number matching his age?

Yes, he always uses his age as the number. Maybe he likes to remind the other drivers they are being passed by an 80 year old.

Looking at the pics of him, I would have never guessed he was 80. Doesn't look any older than my folks, who are in their 60's... Maybe racing (and salad dressing) keeps him young! ;)

Incredible pics. Thanks. His driving capabilities are truely amazing, even more so considering his age.

Re: Another opinion

Over on a Brand X racing forum, one post paints a somewhat different picture of Paul. Take it with a grain of salt, but he is a guy who can buy a lot of speed. Being as how an NSX is a momentum car, I know you guys would appreciate this perspective.

"Paul Newman appears to be an honorable, caring person that has done a LOT to advance and promote racing in this country. His charitable contributions and work have made life easier for thousands of people. Because of his fame I'm sure he faces situations every day that we have no concept of yet he still seems like a down-to-earth person. I have no problems with him in that regard.

As a driver he simply has more money than talent. Granted he's won three National Championships, but each time he brought an overdog car into a battle where money (and the horsepower it provides) definitely makes a difference in grid position. What he appeared to learn from the action captured by Gordon Jolley's artistry is to bring along a "bodyguard" to keep the competition at arms length. First it was Jim Fitzgerald and today it's Mike Brockman that serve as his "designated blocker" which allows PLN to blast down the straight and overslow for the corners without concern of getting passed (or punted) by a competitor.

I finished second to Newman in the rain at Road Atlanta in April 2002 and actually passed him in the esses during a monsoon that brought out the Black Flag All as we completed that lap. Frog was on the radio telling me I was "P-1" as we came into the pits, but SCCA rules require that we revert back one lap so when the race restarted I was put back to second place. I was able to stay with him easily in the tight stuff, but when we got to the back straight he simply vanished in a vapor trail. PLN ALWAYS had horsepower and he's wasn't (isn't) afraid to punch the button, but he's never been able to drive a car anywhere near it's limit in the corners - not even back when he was "only" 50 and just getting started. ...........

PLN was a gracious winner in impound even though he appeared to have no idea who I was nor why I was talking to him. But again, I'm sure he has people talking to him all the time for no apparent reason."

Ted, whoever posted the stuff you quoted seem to be a sore looser. There is no such thing as an overdog car in racing. If you bring a legal car and faster than anyone else, that means he either have a better equipments, better setup or better driver. From the story, it looks like this guy think Paul Newman's car is more powerful. It might be, but why? Is it because he has a better engine builder or the other guy simply didn't build his car to max which the rules allowed.

I raced in Speed World Challenge Touring Car, and brought an underpowered car. Do I blame some of them that has better car and possibly less talent than I do? No, I blame myself for not bringing a proper machine to compete.

Re: A Racer's right to bitch

he simply has more money than talent.
no such thing as an overdog car
Andrie, he may be a sore loser, but the point of my post is that money buys speed, and when talent is lacking, it adds insult to injury for club racers who work hard to improve their driving skills. I feel that frustration when clueless Atlantic drivers pass me on the straight and “park it in the corners”, holding me up for the next 5 turns and spoiling my lap time. NSX drivers get it to from Vipers, Vettes etc. Nothing new here: road racing talent is about corners, not the straights, and although life isn't fair and lack of skill is a fact of life, we momentum car racers should be able to bitch about rich guys who don’t know how to drive. I’m not saying that Paul Newman falls into that category, I’m bringing up the principle of being balked. You’ve been there more than the rest of us and will be there again in World Challenge someday. If you want to refrain from complaining, good on you, but for the rest of us ham handed smack talkers, that’s part of the racin’ game. :tongue:

Yeah, it has taken me over two years to convince our Fearless Leader to compete on equal footing before he continues his smack talk as to who is the better driver :rolleyes: ........... he finally relented and will run on street tires this weekend :smile: But he still has a few more advantages than I do such as: starting with a 150+ lbs less weight, stiffer suspension options, noncompliant beam, and some other stuff that he keeps only to himself (like recommending people to autocross with 44 psi on the rear :eek: ) ........ but I have a dollar that says he will still not be able to pass on the front straight at THill even if he is on my tail coming out of 15 :biggrin:

And seeing Al frustrated and fuming in the hot paddock that he couldn't execute the pass is priceless ........ :tongue: :biggrin: :tongue: :biggrin:

Getting this forum passed to me caused my brain to work overtime...which is a big deal!

I agree with Andrie, 92 White and Hrant - on many of the issues they chatted about. All three made valid points.

However, my only comment is that I had the "opportunity" to meet Paul Newman...and he was quite standoffish! The two of us were in the elevator at the Marriott (Monterey, CA) for a CART event in 2001. His driver qualified on the pole and I wanted to congratulate him. Upon entering the elevator, he "accidentally" pushed the close-door putton in stead of the open-door button when he saw me coming to the elevator. After putting my hand on the inside of the door to activate it's rebound mechanisim, I said "Hello Mr. Newman" and "great qualifying lap today, huh?" Not only did he not even look in my direction, there was no nod, wink or smerk whatsoever! He completely ignored me! As he exited the elevator prior to my doing so, I spoke once again..."Good luck tomorrow!" Again, no signal or response at all!

I can understand being focused on your craft...but in an elevator with only two people occupying it? Trust me, I'm being kind by using the adjective "Standoffish."

As for the other comments by various NSXers, I'm truly looking forward to hearing about this weekend's festivities!

As talkative as I am, you know I slipped something in under my breath loud enough for him to hear!

He didn't get off THAT easily!

:rolleyes:

Re: He completely ignored me!

Well now Brian, let's think about that a second and ponder a few talking points.

1. Laguna 2001; isn't that about the time Honda was meeting with CART and telling them they were pulling out? :confused:
2. Is there a more ardent die-hard CART supporter than Paul Newman? :cool:
3. Don't think Newman-Haas ever ran Honda power did they? :rolleyes:
4. Your neon flashing tie and suspenders screaming "HONDA, HONDA, HONDA wouldn't have had anything to do with it, now would it? :redface:

I dunno, just a wild guess...............

We left coasters have a chance to cheer or boo Paul at a charity kart race on Saturday at 1 PM at the San Jose Champ Car race, in case you feel strongly one way or the other.

More here

1UFO 2C said:
Getting this forum passed to me caused my brain to work overtime...which is a big deal!

I agree with Andrie, 92 White and Hrant - on many of the issues they chatted about. All three made valid points.

However, my only comment is that I had the "opportunity" to meet Paul Newman...and he was quite standoffish! The two of us were in the elevator at the Marriott (Monterey, CA) for a CART event in 2001. His driver qualified on the pole and I wanted to congratulate him. Upon entering the elevator, he "accidentally" pushed the close-door putton in stead of the open-door button when he saw me coming to the elevator. After putting my hand on the inside of the door to activate it's rebound mechanisim, I said "Hello Mr. Newman" and "great qualifying lap today, huh?" Not only did he not even look in my direction, there was no nod, wink or smerk whatsoever! He completely ignored me! As he exited the elevator prior to my doing so, I spoke once again..."Good luck tomorrow!" Again, no signal or response at all!

I can understand being focused on your craft...but in an elevator with only two people occupying it? Trust me, I'm being kind by using the adjective "Standoffish."

As for the other comments by various NSXers, I'm truly looking forward to hearing about this weekend's festivities!

Hey, I don't know your ethnicity, and I had personally meet some people who's not too comfortable with speaking to foreign stranger.. ok, nevermind.

Just throw in another possible reason of him being rude..... You know if I talk to my Grand father, (who's 7 yrs older than Paul Newman) at regular decibal voice, He won't hear it. Granded Paul had all the money for hearing aid device, he might had his ear plug on and no knowing you are talking to him.... :tongue:

I have a need. A need for speed. But there will be a chance, to go out and dance with the smack talker of all times, par excellance. :eek: So this weekend we will see, if you know who can stay ahead of me. :mad: And when it's all done, we'll all know who has won. :biggrin:

P.S. I'll take that bet. :cool:

ATERPAK said:
I have a need. A need for speed. But there will be a chance, to go out and dance with the smack talker, par excellance. :eek: So this weekend we will see. If you know who can stay ahead of me. :mad: And when it's all done, we'll all know who has won. :biggrin:

Once you guys get done laying down the smack would be interested to know about your laptimes too :cool:

Re: Laptimes?

Ken, you missing this one? Private me for those really juicy laptimes and other details if you're not gonna be there.

And I thought the real racing was in San Jose this weekend. :rolleyes:

Re: Laptimes?

92 white 0650 said:
Ken, you missing this one? Private me for those really juicy laptimes and other details if you're not gonna be there.

And I thought the real racing was in San Jose this weekend. :rolleyes:

Hi Ted,

Yep, I'll be missing both the Track Masters and the NCRC event this weekend at Thill, instead I'll be cheering Andrie and the crew at the SJGP this weekend.

I'll PM you for the juicy details of how things went down over at Thill this weekend, more than curious to know what other folks can do with street tires without the bypass, I'm currently waiting for the rest of the folks to catch up before I go out and play again with them. (just teasing the rest of the guys, LOL) :D

Ken

BTW: Back on topic Paul Newman, rocks, regardless of the car that he is driving the fact that he is 80 years old and is dicing it out there is really impressive on my book :cool:

Well well well ............ we have Ted egging us on :tongue: and Ken laughing at us all smack talkers while he silently keeps upgrading his track only with all new goodies :cool: and Al can't wait to get those golden bowling (I mean racing) shoes back ........ :biggrin:

Al, read my bet again as you most certainly will dish that $1 before the end of the day. As long as I am ahead of you on track-out at turn 15, you will not be able to execute a pass on me on the front straight - even if I get a blue or black flag, I am not lifting for you :biggrin:

And Ken, well we all know how your big a$$ downforce makes all the rest of us look like we are on a promenade at THill. As you know, I was surprised last time when you passed on the same front out of 15 when we were both on full throttle :eek: ........ only later to find out that you had at least some 300+ lbs less weight :eek: So comparing lap times would not be fair or would it :wink:

Re: The HOROR! The HORROR!

I was on assignment to go into the asphalt jungle and find the commander of fierce race car guerrilas and neutralize them. Normally these types wouldn't be much of a problem but lately the group has been getting out of hand. They've been harrasing the normal more sedate track junkies like Allan, Jeff, Kirk, F.L., and Hrant. They were constantly pushing the envelope on their cars. Their budget seemed to be unlimited just like their skill behind the wheel.

And then it happened. It seems that after much chiding from these guys, it forced a situation between two of the more normal track junkies, F.L. and Hrant. A match of driving skills and cars for the ultimate prize. "Bragging Rights" for the Sacramento chapter.

Trying to find this leader is often difficult. He rarely communicates to his fellow conspirators but his skills are well known at the track. His hold on his fellow conspirators is legendary. There is a common thread with all of them. You know, an unlimited budget for more car enhancements. The need to be the best at their game. Their humble demeanor knowing full well there isn't a humble bone in their body. You know the type. Like Steve the "Enlightened. He's new to the game but quickly learning. Then there's Brian the "Rear brake pad challenged". Fast yes. Ever so fast but not quite as fast as their leader Kip of the "Hot Shoe".

And then I finally found him. He didn't look like I expected. Not old, sweaty or grissled with experience, but rather young, cool and ever knowing. I approached him is his lair. You know, those enclosed air conditioned race car trailers that beckon all who dare to enter on a hot 100+ degree track day. He was about as cool as his three sets of race tires sitting in the racks of this trailer. Why tires seem to be getting better treatment than most of us humans was a mystery to me. As I approached him he looked puzzled and distressed. Before I had a chance to ask him a question he quietly spoke four words, "The Horror. The Horror". With a little prodding he finally told me the story.

It seems that F.L. couldn't pass Hrant on the front straight at Thunderhill. No matter how close he got to him on turn 14,15 to make a pass attempt, it just wouldn't happen. It didn't matter that near the end the session F.L. passed Hrant on one of the sweepers and then left them all as if they were standing still. No, none of that mattered. The conditions were set for turn 14,15 and the front straight. So to the victor go the spoils. :frown:

I couldn't finish my mission that day. It seemed that Kip had been neutralized without my efforts. As I left, he was shaking his head, and I could hear him whispering, "The Horror. The Horror". :confused:

Back