• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What would prevent a car from being Certified Pre-Owned

Looking around at a replacement daily driver and I came across a nice 2014, 13k 1 owner Mercedes Benz GLK250 that looks quite nice. The only thing that seems odd is why wouldn't the dealer slap the Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) sticker on there? It is a Mercedes Benz dealership and they sell other CPO cars, it just seems odd that this one wouldn't be CPO.

That got me wondering what would prevent a low mileage otherwise clean looking car from getting the CPO designation. I know there are some pretty knowledgeable car buying/selling folks on this forum so I was hoping one of them could enlighten me.

Thanks!

Looking around at a replacement daily driver and I came across a nice 2014, 13k 1 owner Mercedes Benz GLK250 that looks quite nice. The only thing that seems odd is why wouldn't the dealer slap the Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) sticker on there? It is a Mercedes Benz dealership and they sell other CPO cars, it just seems odd that this one wouldn't be CPO.

That got me wondering what would prevent a low mileage otherwise clean looking car from getting the CPO designation. I know there are some pretty knowledgeable car buying/selling folks on this forum so I was hoping one of them could enlighten me.

Thanks!
Ask them if the can certify it, and what that would add to the cost of the car. If the car has been involved in an accident, that might prevent the dealer from CPO'ing it too.

I've purchased a couple of CPO cars in the past, and with each car, I received a CPO certificate from the dealer indicating what was checked - they had a list of something like 30 or 40 items that were checked off. I'd ask the dealer for a list of what they check (you could probably get it from the Mercedes website), and go from there.

Maybe it has had a major hit.

That of course is my worry. It does have a clean carfax but I know that a Carfax isn't everything. With the car being remote (I am in DC), I am trying to do a little homework before sending an offer to the dealer. For the right price and car, I would fly up to Boston and just drive the car home.

Usually CPO Cars have maintenance records the dealer can verify, so if the car was serviced somewhere other than the dealership, it would prevent it from being a CPO.

In 2008, I purchased a M6 with 5000 miles that was unregistered and not CPO'd.

I found out later that it was used as a demo car at the South Carolina BMW track. Since it was never registered...it could not be CPO'd
Cars must be registered before they can be CPO'd. When the car arrived from NYC, SF BMW did do a through inspection/service. I've never had any issues with the car.

Rich Wong

Check this page:
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/cpo/c...qname=what_if_i_have_other_warranty_questions

Scroll down to the "Certification" area;

This is just from the General Section:
Identifiable Structural Damage
Mileage and History verification
Vehicle Maintenance Schedule Verification
Verify all recall and campaigns have been performed
Current Maintenance and Warranty Booklet
Current Owners manual
All spare keys including wheel locks if installed
OEM Factory Window verification
Roadside Assistance Program labels
MBCPO inspection label affixed to B-Pillar
Perform testing for Diagnostic codes

So apparently the reason it isn't Certified is due to an existing warranty:

"The original owner purchased the extended Mercedes Warranty. The new car warranty is good until 8/21/18 or 75k miles. Which ever comes first"

I am really feeling out of my depth here - is that a good thing? Is that just something that sounds like B.S.?

I would not be dismiss this vehicle without asking a few more questions. Maybe the tires are shy on tread by 1 mm. and a new set is 2 grand, and they're a little deep in the car. What would be needed to be able to actually certify this vehicle, if you feel you must go that route? If they still are not being a bit cooperative, I would want to spend a few dollars having an independent mechanic look it over. Paint jobs properly done may need a paint meter to detect.

Back