• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What would you recommend I use for tires and pads?

I'm planning on tracking my car on July 31st on the Streets of Willow. I have a 91 NSX NA with Comptech headers, Taitec exhaust, Bilstein shocks, stock springs, slotted rotors, stock calipers, and stock 17" wheels that look similiar to the NSX-R wheels front and back. I may also be ordering the NSX-R front sway bar. With this kind of set up....what would you recommend I use for tires and pads....for the most grip around turns and little or no brake fade? I also have the stock 15" front and 16" rear wheels and have seen some Primers using them....would you recommend me using these instead of the 17"s? It would be greatly appreciated to hear from those who track there car.

Thanks,

Tony

Last edited:
I have been out on the track 4 days in a stock setup and if this is your first time on the track, you will be more than okay with the same. Just make sure everything is in good working order and there is plenty of material left on the pads and tires. You should have to complete a pre-track tech inspection where your mechanic will check over those things for you.

Welcome to Hotel California.

I have been out on the track 4 days in a stock setup and if this is your first time on the track, you will be more than okay with the same. Just make sure everything is in good working order and there is plenty of material left on the pads and tires. You should have to complete a pre-track tech inspection where your mechanic will check over those things for you.

Welcome to Hotel California.

Ok....cool on the set up....but what would you recommend for tires and pads? And should I use my stock 15" and 16" wheels....or would using these just be the difference in cost versus the 17" wheels? I do alot of aggressive canyon runs....and I know the track will be a alot different. I know I'll be testing my limits....due to not having to worry about on coming traffic....if you know what I mean. Thanks for the quck response.

Like Liquid said, if this is your first time out, just go as is and don't worry about 15s vs 16s vs 17s.
Just make sure you have enough pad and relatively enough tread on your tires and have fun learning the car itself.

Like Liquid said, if this is your first time out, just go as is and don't worry about 15s vs 16s vs 17s.
Just make sure you have enough pad and relatively enough tread on your tires and have fun learning the car itself.

Couldn't agree more. Take you time to learn the car and the track. please don't overestimate your abilities. The nsx is still a rather quick/fun car considering its age. However it will bite if is pushed wrongly, ask me how I know. Take it SLOW, keep your brakes cool and start worrying about tires/pads when you can really PUSH the car. Have fun and take the car home in one piece.

Ditto, Tony, on everything said about running stock wheels/tires/pads. I ran my OEM 15/16 on new Dunlop Sport 5000's (compound rating of 340!) and was amazed how well the car handled on Big Willow. Streets will be harder on brakes, but you'll have fun on those twisties.

With all that said, I still went out and bought a new track/tire set-up. Still have the OEMs and plan on running with those again- perhaps for autocross events.

We should plan on going to a upcoming track event together one day along with any other local NSX'ers. :cool:

Ditto, Tony, on everything said about running stock wheels/tires/pads. I ran my OEM 15/16 on new Dunlop Sport 5000's (compound rating of 340!) and was amazed how well the car handled on Big Willow. Streets will be harder on brakes, but you'll have fun on those twisties.

With all that said, I still went out and bought a new track/tire set-up. Still have the OEMs and plan on running with those again- perhaps for autocross events.

We should plan on going to a upcoming track event together one day along with any other local NSX'ers. :cool:

Steve!!!! So good to hear from you....and at least you gave me a tire and that you went with OEM 15/16 and that you went with stock pads....but said the streets will be harder on brakes. Can you make it out on July 31st? Let me know.

Now....
Ok....please don't take this as me being arrogant in any way and I did appreciate the speedy responses. But for those who responded to this thread except for Steve....I wasn't looking for a pat on the head and move on little boy just use what you have answer nor questioning my driving ability. I simply wanted a recommendation of tires and pads to use. Thanks to Shane at Autowave to give me the answer I needed. Go with Falken Azenis or Kumho Ecstas. And for pads....didn't get the brand....but may squeal a bit and have brake dust....may do SS brake lines as well. And don't think he's just trying to make a buck....he just answered a simple question. Its up to me to move on the recommendation. If anyone has any other recommendations....I would like to hear from you.

Steve!!!! So good to hear from you....and at least you gave me a tire and that you went with OEM 15/16 and that you went with stock pads....but said the streets will be harder on brakes. Can you make it out on July 31st? Let me know.

Now....
Ok....please don't take this as me being arrogant in any way and I did appreciate the speedy responses. But for those who responded to this thread except for Steve....I wasn't looking for a pat on the head and move on little boy just use what you have answer nor questioning my driving ability. I simply wanted a recommendation of tires and pads to use. Thanks to Shane at Autowave to give me the answer I needed. Go with Falken Azenis or Kumho Ecstas. And for pads....didn't get the brand....but may squeal a bit and have brake dust....may do SS brake lines as well. And don't think he's just trying to make a buck....he just answered a simple question. Its up to me to move on the recommendation. If anyone has any other recommendations....I would like to hear from you.

Hmmm... July 31. A Friday. Hmmm... I'll keep that in mind. After running 56 laps at Big Willow, I am looking forward to driving on a more technical track like Button Willow, etc. Streets is OK but close by. Woo-hoo!

Going to SCA tonight???

Good brake fluid, check your levels and let's go.

After some track days, I would do as follow :
- good pads (like Carbotech AX6)
- put slicks on the 15''-16'' wheels
- brake ducting
- coilovers

I think you're missing the point... the point is that you aren't at the skill level where different tire setups, brake pads, etc will make a major difference for you. Since you have nothing unusual that appears as if it would cause you a problem in your current setup, you should instead focus on learning the car as-is. Once you have enough experience to determine where you feel you need or want to upgrade, then do so, but at this point the car's abilities exceed your own.

If you really feel compelled you must do something, then we will need to know whether the tires and pads will be track only or if you will still be using them on the street. In addition to what you are looking at, you may want to look at a baffled oil pan (cheap but not totally effective insurance for the starving of the 6th cylinder) in addition to the brake lines and chassis & sway bars as you are already doing.

Sorry if you think I'm belittling you... I'm not. I put myself in the same category after having only 4 track days. I have a feeling you will be very impressed with the stock setup and will come back from the track with a better understanding of what we're telling you.

I think you're missing the point... the point is that you aren't at the skill level where different tire setups, brake pads, etc will make a major difference for you. Since you have nothing unusual that appears as if it would cause you a problem in your current setup, you should instead focus on learning the car as-is. Once you have enough experience to determine where you feel you need or want to upgrade, then do so, but at this point the car's abilities exceed your own.

If you really feel compelled you must do something, then we will need to know whether the tires and pads will be track only or if you will still be using them on the street. In addition to what you are looking at, you may want to look at a baffled oil pan (cheap but not totally effective insurance for the starving of the 6th cylinder) in addition to the brake lines and chassis & sway bars as you are already doing.

Sorry if you think I'm belittling you... I'm not. I put myself in the same category after having only 4 track days. I have a feeling you will be very impressed with the stock setup and will come back from the track with a better understanding of what we're telling you.

I'm sorry if I offended the OP. What he said

Good brake fluid, check your levels and let's go.

After some track days, I would do as follow :
- good pads (like Carbotech AX6)
- put slicks on the 15''-16'' wheels
- brake ducting
- coilovers

I would NO recommend Slicks for a first day.
R compound tires do not provide the feedback a street tire does when close to the limit.
The rest is fine but for a first day not needed.

Ok....maybe I should be the one to apologize....and I know I briefly mentioned it. When I said I do canyon runs....I really meant....extreme canyon runs. At no means am I saying I could be a good track driver....but I do hold my own on the canyons....even with superbikes. I really do know the limitation of my NSX....having spun out on a 30mph sweeping curve passing BLKRCRX (91 NSX) and being followed by five superbikes. I don't know how fast I was going....but BLKRCRX and the five superbikes behind me said it was pretty F**kin fast. And I did maintain from going over a 200 foot drop. I do these quite often now and then just to practice braking and hitting it hard coming out of turns....now that I know what my NSX can handle on street tires. I ran with both Goodyear Eagle F1s and Kumho Ecstas....love the Kumhos.

So there you have it....that's the reason for my thread. I have been studying the track on Youtube and watching fellow Primers videos. I know it will be a hell of alot different once I'm on the track.

Again....just looking for good advice, for my set up, on tires and pads from those who have tracked their NSX. Just want to have that little bit of an edge when I'm out there. I'm just really competitve when it comes to driving. And I will be very cautious of other drivers on the track.

Thx,
Tony

Canyon runs and the track are completely different. You will run much, much harder on the track than you could ever do on the street. Afterward, you will understand completely.

You may think you know the limits of your NSX from your canyon driving, but believe me.... you don't. I have over 100+ track days under my belt in the NSX and I am still no where near being able to extract 100% out of my car on the track.

Report back after your track day. #1 you will understand that canyon driving, autocross, etc isn't even pushing the car. #2 you will be completely hooked.

Which Khumos Ecstas are you referring to... XS, MX?

Last edited:
I used to feel the same way on my sportbike a few years back. I used to go into canyons red hot, pitch it into the corners and come out with with my back tire of my 600 spinning, leaving long black strips of rubber on the ground.

Canyon runs and the track are completely different. You will run much, much harder on the track than you could ever do on the street. Afterward, you will understand completely.

You may think you know the limits of your NSX from your canyon driving, but believe me.... you don't. I have over 100+ track days under my belt in the NSX and I am still no where near being able to extract 100% out of my car on the track.

Report back after your track day. #1 you will understand that canyon driving, autocross, etc isn't even pushing the car. #2 you will be completely hooked.

Which Khumos Ecstas are you referring to... XS, MX?

Hey Captain....if I can call you Captain. You are one of the guys I was hoping to hear from. Saw your video....dude you drive slow....jk. ( I think it was you.) What was your time? But totally understand that it will be different on the track. I will report back and Im hoping to get a car cam to post the video as well. What kind of cam did you use? Was it rented or is it your's? Regarding the Kumhos I use....they're the MX. When I spun out....it was the Goodyear Eagle F1s. I'm just going to use the Kumhos....since I need to use them on the street. The next time out I will go with a more aggressive tire....like a Hoosier? Or what would you recommend??? What pads would you recommend?

The cam is an Aiptek HD1080p. I opened it up and soldered in a mic jack (see pic ~ on top) from Radio Shack so that I can use the built in mic or plug in an external mic. I am using a $20 Radio Shack lapel mic which I ran to the trunk. This way, I get the exhaust/engine sound and do not get any wind noise no matter how fast I am going. I also added a Sunpack wide angle attachment. The pic attached is the mount. It is a Panavise suction cup mount, which I added a brace to prevent the camera from shacking back and forth since it is a "vertical" camera and even with a solid mount on the bottom, the top (lens) would vibrate back and forth over bumps. This weekend will be the first test with the new modification to the mount but street test show a big improvement. I am running 600lb/500lb springs and the car is pretty stiff.

I loved the Goodyear F1GS3s on the street, absolutely HATED them on the track. The sidewall is so soft, that the car would yaw and then set and grip. It made the car feel sloppy. You don't notice this nearly as much on the street even when driving hard.... goes to show you how much more demanding driving on the track is of the car.

My next set of street tires wil be the new Khumo XS. If you are running 16/17 get these. If you are running a 17 front, then maybe the Dunlop Z1 Star Spec or Bridgestone RE11s.

As far as pads.... I really reccommend getting a set of track pads. I have farted around with combo street/track pads and while they are great for autoxross, they just don't cut it at the track. This weekend will be the first weekend with Carbotech XP10/8s. Another good option is Cobalt Friction's pads ~ although about $80 more a set.

People say stock pads are fine on the track for a novice, etc. Maybe the first time if you are not super agressive. However, I can get the stock pads to fade in about 3-4 laps and I have a lot of cooling ducts. I also see novices braking too much, which will contribute to fade more so than an advanced driver who is on/off the brakes and not braking as much before turn in.

If you don't mind swapping pads - go right to a track pad don't dick around with combo pads like the Hawk HP+. It only takes me about 1/2 hr to swap out all the pads the day before. They are fine to drive to/from the track ~ don't let someone else tell you otherwise (disclamer ~ unless it's 30F out). But don't daily drive with them on all the time.

Tires - stick with a Exteme Summer tire. Trust me, you don't need to be running Hoosiers or R comp. In fact, when I finish off my Nittos I am going back to a street tire. Dealing with 235s on the front is just a PITA ~ I have to raise my car to keep from rubbing on bumps and then lower it back when I put my 16/17s back on. If someone makes a 215 R comp, then I would switch back to the R comp. Nitto NT01s or Toyo R888s will at least let you drive to/from the track when it's raining. If you are running Hoosiers or bald NT01s then you better pull over and wait it out.

Attachments

• Photo_060509_001.jpg
    Photo_060509_001.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I used to be heavy into tennis as a teenager. I had gotten to the point I could easily beat highschoolers and coaches. I thought I was the s##t. My senior year I got to play a former pro (unranked) and got destroyed in every game. I was worried about my my racquet's strung balance, tension, grip tape, etc. I felt my Adidas might not give me as much jump on the ball as my Nikes. :rolleyes: All the equipment worry is pointless when playing a pro for the first time. I might as well been wearing penny loafers with a ping-pong paddle.

Good luck with your first run. :biggrin:

The cam is an Aiptek HD1080p. I opened it up and soldered in a mic jack (see pic ~ on top) from Radio Shack so that I can use the built in mic or plug in an external mic. I am using a $20 Radio Shack lapel mic which I ran to the trunk. This way, I get the exhaust/engine sound and do not get any wind noise no matter how fast I am going. I also added a Sunpack wide angle attachment. The pic attached is the mount. It is a Panavise suction cup mount, which I added a brace to prevent the camera from shacking back and forth since it is a "vertical" camera and even with a solid mount on the bottom, the top (lens) would vibrate back and forth over bumps. This weekend will be the first test with the new modification to the mount but street test show a big improvement. I am running 600lb/500lb springs and the car is pretty stiff.

I loved the Goodyear F1GS3s on the street, absolutely HATED them on the track. The sidewall is so soft, that the car would yaw and then set and grip. It made the car feel sloppy. You don't notice this nearly as much on the street even when driving hard.... goes to show you how much more demanding driving on the track is of the car.

My next set of street tires wil be the new Khumo XS. If you are running 16/17 get these. If you are running a 17 front, then maybe the Dunlop Z1 Star Spec or Bridgestone RE11s.

As far as pads.... I really reccommend getting a set of track pads. I have farted around with combo street/track pads and while they are great for autoxross, they just don't cut it at the track. This weekend will be the first weekend with Carbotech XP10/8s. Another good option is Cobalt Friction's pads ~ although about $80 more a set.

People say stock pads are fine on the track for a novice, etc. Maybe the first time if you are not super agressive. However, I can get the stock pads to fade in about 3-4 laps and I have a lot of cooling ducts. I also see novices braking too much, which will contribute to fade more so than an advanced driver who is on/off the brakes and not braking as much before turn in.

If you don't mind swapping pads - go right to a track pad don't dick around with combo pads like the Hawk HP+. It only takes me about 1/2 hr to swap out all the pads the day before. They are fine to drive to/from the track ~ don't let someone else tell you otherwise (disclamer ~ unless it's 30F out). But don't daily drive with them on all the time.

Tires - stick with a Exteme Summer tire. Trust me, you don't need to be running Hoosiers or R comp. In fact, when I finish off my Nittos I am going back to a street tire. Dealing with 235s on the front is just a PITA ~ I have to raise my car to keep from rubbing on bumps and then lower it back when I put my 16/17s back on. If someone makes a 215 R comp, then I would switch back to the R comp. Nitto NT01s or Toyo R888s will at least let you drive to/from the track when it's raining. If you are running Hoosiers or bald NT01s then you better pull over and wait it out.

Captain,

Again....THANK YOU!!! This is the kind of advise and direction I was looking for. I hope to hear more about your upcoming track sessions. Also, thanks for the info on the car cam. I see you posted a thread about it as well. I hate to be a PITA....but can you post some picks on how you set up your car cam system. I don't have a whole lot of money and would like to try and do this myself before July 31st.

Thanks again!!!

Tony

Last edited:
I used to be heavy into tennis as a teenager. I had gotten to the point I could easily beat highschoolers and coaches. I thought I was the s##t. My senior year I got to play a former pro (unranked) and got destroyed in every game. I was worried about my my racquet's strung balance, tension, grip tape, etc. I felt my Adidas might not give me as much jump on the ball as my Nikes. :rolleyes: All the equipment worry is pointless when playing a pro for the first time. I might as well been wearing penny loafers with a ping-pong paddle.

Not looking to race like or against a seasoned track driver. I know there are hundreds of track drivers that can run circles around me....I'm just wanting to test my abilities. I feel I would do better with the right tires and pads than going out there with the wrong tires and pads. Like what Captain said....he also used the Goodyear Eagle F1s and experienced the samething I did. And for pads....he experienced brake fade with track/street pads....which I have. And I may be one of those first time out drivers that will brake more often....until I get familiar with the track and the feel of my NSX.

Thanks for the Good Luck and I'll post a video and picks of my first day on the track to get some feed back on those who track their NSXs.

I got my ass kicked by Jimmy Connors at our club (in St. Louis) when I was in HS.... and he had been drinking beer all afternoon. :wink:

Now....

Hi Tony,

Nice to hear from you, too. You may want to bookmark August 8th & 9th or both days instead. I spoke with Ferdie (Costa Mesa Subaru parts and race instructor) who informed me there will be a special open track day at Big Willow with some 20 instructors on site. This means everyone will have an opportunity for some one-on-one instruction driving and/or being a passenger in their own car. This is an incredible opportunity and for a bargain price of $120. At this time, I am planning on going to the Saturday session (Aug. 8).

Streets is an OK "practice" course. While it is far more technical, there is something special about being on a real race course as "Big Willow". This is especially so for those who like to go fast. Besides that, the instructor group that will be there both days is too good to pass up.

Let me know what you think. I am in the middle of some DIY brake work on my car and already have a new 2nd set of wheels/tires, so I will be more 'track ready' by then. :biggrin:

Steve

Hi Tony,

Nice to hear from you, too. You may want to bookmark August 8th & 9th or both days instead. I spoke with Ferdie (Costa Mesa Subaru parts and race instructor) who informed me there will be a special open track day at Big Willow with some 20 instructors on site. This means everyone will have an opportunity for some one-on-one instruction driving and/or being a passenger in their own car. This is an incredible opportunity and for a bargain price of $120. At this time, I am planning on going to the Saturday session (Aug. 8).

Streets is an OK "practice" course. While it is far more technical, there is something special about being on a real race course as "Big Willow". This is especially so for those who like to go fast. Besides that, the instructor group that will be there both days is too good to pass up.

Let me know what you think. I am in the middle of some DIY brake work on my car and already have a new 2nd set of wheels/tires, so I will be more 'track ready' by then. :biggrin:

Steve

Steve!!! I wish I could have made it out last Thursday to SCA....but my son was sick. Your car is looking better than ever. I would like to make it out on August 8th as well. Will you be setting up any events for the local Primers anytime soon? Hope all is going well.

Tony

Steve!!! I wish I could have made it out last Thursday to SCA....but my son was sick. Your car is looking better than ever. I would like to make it out on August 8th as well. Will you be setting up any events for the local Primers anytime soon? Hope all is going well.

Tony

Tony,

I already have a road trip detailed that I postponed due to a conflict with the Chino Hills event on May 31. So, I can pull the trigger on that anytime. Speaking of which, I understand John "ANYTIME" may be planning a road trip for the So Cal guys. I am waiting to hear from him.

Besides these ideas, I have access to NSXCA funds due to my board position. So, a car show/BBQ or things like this are something else I'd like to organize. Stay tuned.

PS. Keep Oct. 28-Nov. 1, 2010 open. Those are the days planned for hosting NSXPO 2010 in Las Vegas. No final decision has been made yet, but the chance of this being the venue are looking good. Question... Would you drive your NSX to Las Vegas for an event like that?

Tony,

I already have a road trip detailed that I postponed due to a conflict with the Chino Hills event on May 31. So, I can pull the trigger on that anytime. Speaking of which, I understand John "ANYTIME" may be planning a road trip for the So Cal guys. I am waiting to hear from him.

Besides these ideas, I have access to NSXCA funds due to my board position. So, a car show/BBQ or things like this are something else I'd like to organize. Stay tuned.

PS. Keep Oct. 28-Nov. 1, 2010 open. Those are the days planned for hosting NSXPO 2010 in Las Vegas. No final decision has been made yet, but the chance of this being the venue are looking good. Question... Would you drive your NSX to Las Vegas for an event like that?

Hey Steve,

Cool on the road trip...either yours or ANYTIME'S.

CAR SHOW/BBQ....that would be awesome.

Count me in for sure for that Thursday through Monday for the NSXPO 2010. And yes....I would drive my NSX to Las Vegas. Do I hear....Caravan to Vegas??? YEAH BABY!!! CANNON BALL RUN!!! We could make it there in less than 2hrs....RIGHT?!!!!

Back