Whats The Best Componet Speaker For The Nsx??

baynsac

First of thanks for taking your time to look and helping me out with this I just bought my first NSX and my speakers dont work well so first thing I am going to do when I get it delivered from Chicago is my stereo.
WHATS THE BEST COMPONET SPEAKER FOR THE NSX??
Well what I mean't was what have you guys tried and what do you guys think is the best quality wise I am looking into FOCAL UTOPIA or BOSTON ACOUSTICS Z6 6.5" COMPONENT SET any pros or cons to these ??? Will they work fitting wise?? what kind of NAv pod deck should I get if I am looking for mp3/dvd/vcd/dvd-R/navigation/ player ?? and another last question what the best quality sub that I can fit under the seat or passenger foot?? thanks
By the way I got 1991 nsx 38k miles blk/ivory havent set foot in one before and at 22 my dream come true sorry just love nsxprime

I recently installed a set of Z6's. I ran them coaxial and bi-amped just to keep the stock look. The speakers are okay by me and they take quite a bit of power so far. Running about 240W per side.

Drawbacks - I don't care for the hex drive screws. The quick connect terminials for the tweeters are the worst! I need to run the gain on the left speaker a little higher than the right (not sure if this is an imaging problem, the fact that everything is low on the door, or my used a/d/s PQ20 amp is just weak on one side. Also, the crossovers are huge. Doubt you want to fit in the door.

Pros - The speakers rock! I ran the stereo rather loud only once with the top on and it was punishing to the ears. I like the sound quality. The crossovers are impressive and the flexibility of bi-amp was something I needed because I run the tweets down low.

As for the Focals, I doubt you can go wrong there. But aren't they made in France? :smile:

SEAS Lotus Reference

Get them from Leon Shing @ MobileSQ

About the same price as the Focals but in a Side by side test (both NSX's) there was no contest.

They have individual crossovers for woofer & tweeter but I know of one owner who has fit these in the doors. I personally run mine bi-amped so the C/O's are remote, in the trunk.

As always, listen to the speakers before you buy them if at all possible. You will get steered a hundred different ways if you ask this question on a car stereo forum.

If I'm spending in the $1000+ range, I'd look at the Morel Elate 6 3Way or the Focal Utopia Be.

$500-1000 you should definitely look at the Polk Audio SR6500s which a lot of people are calling the best set of speakers period. You can read a good review on Caraudio's website. I have heard these and they sound great, as good as any set of components I've ever heard and I've listened to a LOT of cars and speakers. :)

$200-400 will get you a good set of door speakers though. Most people don't need to spend more than that and you have tons of great choices. I definitely wouldn't buy anything that I didn't have a chance to listen to as you would be doing yourself a huge disservice.

It all depends on how much is your budget. I personally wouldn't spend more than $1,500.00 on a whole system. I prefer listening to the engine when driving my car. But to each own. I have a Pioneer Avic-d1 head unit, with polk momo 6.5 component, stock sub and center channel. I am also adding a ipod interface and 40gig ipod. I am very happy with it and it cost me less than $1,500.00 for the whole set up.

Every set of speakers will sound different to each and every person. A person's ear canal has a profound effect on this as well as your age and condition of your hearing.

I realize it's tough to make comparisons in a showroom that doesn't even come close to simulating a car's environment. If you stick with a major brand you will probably be quite happy. Personally I have a set of JL Audio XR650-CXi in my doors. I went for the coaxial design because I didin't want holes drilled in the doors for the tweeters. I've had them for almost 2 years and love them.

I plan on spending 1200-1500 for the componet speakers and the amp. I like the ones that are recommended so far thanks for your input. I have also a budget of $2000-2500 for the NAV pod deck should I get if I am looking for mp3/dvd/vcd/dvd-R/navigation/ player ?? whats the best sub that I can fit at the passenger foot space/ or under the passenger seat? I just want a real nice sound system. I know I can and should listen for my self but I found out the my judgment on those things arent that
good and so many people here had the experience of doing this upgrade and I was just wondering what experiences they had good or bad. Thanks again
Oh RON968 your interior do you have more pics it looks great.

yaynsx said:
whats the best sub that I can fit at the passenger foot space/ or under the passenger seat? I just want a real nice sound system. I know I can and should listen for my self but I found out the my judgment on those things arent that good and so many people here had the experience of doing this upgrade and I was just wondering what experiences they had good or bad.

I have the JL 10W3v2D4 in the larger Toolbox subwoofer enclosure. It's hard to beat that sub for efficiency, sound quality and output. The 10W1V2 is no slouch either, it's quite the sub for half the price. It doesn't have the same power handling as the 10W3V2 nor the excursion but it is almost as good. It is a newer sub so the design I think is better (better surround, cone, speaker connectors). I've also run the Earthquake SWS 10 (ultra shallow 10) in my NSX with good results but not nearly the output of the JL.

Here is a link to more picture of my install. It took me about 4 hours to get it done:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ronanicete/album?.dir=7cbe&.src=ph

It was pretty much a plug and play with the exception of the dash trim and wiring the oem sub to work with the head unit properly. When the sub and center finally dies, which they will eventually, I'll go with a 10" sub on the footwell and components in the back with a 5 channel amp to run everything.

Ron968 what kind of deck?/ headunit is that ?? Looks real nice. I want something like that or similar.

Malibu rapper thanks the polk SR6500 looks like what I am going to go with do you have any suggesstions where I can buy one at a good price? I am going to search myself also but I was just wondering if you knew allready.
Also JL 10W3v2D4 in the larger Toolbox subwoofer enclosure sounds good how much and where can I get one?
Thanks again its great to get some knowledgable tips from you guys it prevents me from making trial and error mistakes I have expediton with 6-7000
tv/stereo system and I barely like the sound dont want to the same again.

It's the Pioneer AVIC-D1. It does everything that I need. Navigation, touchscreen. plays MP3, CD, etc... You can also add a TV tuner, XM module to control XM satellite and NAV traffic through the unit, rear view camera and an Ipod interface that allows you to control the ipod on the unit itself. It also has a separate slot for cd and dvd. This way, you dont have to take out the nav dvd rom when you are playing a cd. In my case, I have a 40gig ipod, so I dont really plays cds anymore. It was one of the cheapest unit I found on the market for what it does ($1,098.00 with a $300.00 mail in rebate). The drawback is that you cant watch or play dvd when the car is moving, although, there is a way to hack that problem. I personally dont have a need to play dvds in a 2 seater sports car.

yaynsx said:
Malibu rapper thanks the polk SR6500 looks like what I am going to go with do you have any suggesstions where I can buy one at a good price? I am going to search myself also but I was just wondering if you knew allready.
Also JL 10W3v2D4 in the larger Toolbox subwoofer enclosure sounds good how much and where can I get one?
Thanks again its great to get some knowledgable tips from you guys it prevents me from making trial and error mistakes I have expediton with 6-7000
tv/stereo system and I barely like the sound dont want to the same again.

You can find a Polk dealer with this link. Not sure where the best price is, sorry. Most people been paying 700-750 for them. The Toolbox you can PM Zetoolman, he has 3 new designs coming out. You will need .625 cubic feet for the recommended enclosure, don't forget to buy the grill. I've got a good collection of great subs, I always buy them like they're going out of style. The 10W3 I won't be replacing until JL comes out with a V3 version of that sub.

hey Ron968 cant beat the price on the Pioneer AVIC-D1 and it does everything I need it to do. How was the install easy or did you have to get anything else to complete the install?? Thanks it would of taken me weeks to find this deck its exactly what I am looking for. the ipod option is great as I just bought one.
hey Malibau rapper or NASTNSX 10w3 or 10w6 is there one better than the other in your opinion?? Is the 10w6 a better version of 10w3? also which one gives you more leg room? which isnt reallly important unless its a big difference.
Did any of you guys Dynotmat your whole car?? I did it to my EXPO with 24's and I think it made a noticable difference I hate viberation from the bass I like clean hard hitting bass and crystal clear sound of speakers complimenting it.

You should be aware that the Avic-D1 does not play DVDs and you have to backdoor a separate DVD player in to get it to show video while moving. If those things are not important to you, it's a nice deck to have. Kenwood and Eclipse have nice double DIN units as well.

JL will tell you that the W3v2 is a more efficient sub, this is not the same as sensitivity 1w/1m. The W6v2 has slightly more excursion but the effective piston diameter is smaller so going by the specs, the W3 should actually even be louder because it moves more air. The W6v2 handles more power and has a very deep mounting depth so it will make it tougher to install. I think NASTNSX must have the version 1 which is smaller.

I only Dynamatted the doors. I don't think you need to do the whole car unless it's a competition thing.

I am monitoring this thread..good info for my future stereo upgrades. By chance, does the Eclipse double din w/ built-in HD have any security protection feature for theft?

For the sub mentioned JL 10w1v2...which box do you use to mount it in the car w/o taking anymore legroom?

The Eclipse 5495 uses a Sony Memory stick for ESN (Eclipse Security Network). I imagine it puts some kind of a key on that memory stick that requires you to plug in the memory stick should power ever get disconnected from the stereo or the stereo gets stolen. I've had similar security features on my old stereos and that never kept a thief from breaking into the car to take it. The best way to protect your investment is to never let the thief see it or give them the opportunity to take it.

The 10W1V2 has a recommended enclosure size of .625 cubic feet. Zetoolman is working on 3 new boxes and if one of them is built for the shallower 10W1V2, it will probably not consume much legroom while providing at least the recommended volume as there is more than enough now. The JL is only 4.34" deep and has a small magnet so it's well suited for our cars.

yaynsx said:
hey Ron968 cant beat the price on the Pioneer AVIC-D1 and it does everything I need it to do. How was the install easy or did you have to get anything else to complete the install?? Thanks it would of taken me weeks to find this deck its exactly what I am looking for. the ipod option is great as I just bought one.
hey Malibau rapper or NASTNSX 10w3 or 10w6 is there one better than the other in your opinion?? Is the 10w6 a better version of 10w3? also which one gives you more leg room? which isnt reallly important unless its a big difference.
Did any of you guys Dynotmat your whole car?? I did it to my EXPO with 24's and I think it made a noticable difference I hate viberation from the bass I like clean hard hitting bass and crystal clear sound of speakers complimenting it.

It's a straightforward install with the exception of the dash trim. I actually used the head unit trim and molded it into the nsx dash trim. You can also get a dash trim from sos that you can customize to fit the unit. But that's more money that you dont have to spend, unless you were planning on saving your old oem trim. You can get a harness adapter pretty much from any car stereo store for about $15.00. This way you wont have to muck around with the oem harness. As far as watching dvds, anyone driving an nsx or any 2 seat sporstcar and watching dvds at the same time shouldnt be on the road. cell phone users are bad enough...

ediddynsx said:
anybody know anything about the mb quartz qsc216's?

http://www.mbquart.de/en/produkte/car/qline/produkt.php?nr=qsc_216

these any good?
In the past 5 yrs Quart has really gone to the shitter. Now they've just been bought by Maxxsonics(low end company) so there's no telling what they will be like next year :frown:
I use Morel Elate 9's in my car and I have heard very few component sets that I like better.
Do yourself a favor and find a Diamond Audio dealer that has a set of D9 components in stock, they sound VeRy nice also. Price on either set is around $1500 from authorized dealers.

Hey RoN968/malibaurapper- They have a guy on ebay selling information on how to bypass the playing dvd while driving. I only want it because I have lots of music video VCDS/dvds that I like to play while I am driving. Do you think it works?? dont you just ground it somehwere like your emergency brake? I hope there are other ways. Ofcourse I don't watch it while I am driving but I love looking while I am at a stoplight.

Here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-AVIC-D1...831386304QQcategoryZ79834QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

yaynsx said:
Hey RoN968/malibaurapper- They have a guy on ebay selling information on how to bypass the playing dvd while driving. I only want it because I have lots of music video VCDS/dvds that I like to play while I am driving. Do you think it works?? dont you just ground it somehwere like your emergency brake? I hope there are other ways. Ofcourse I don't watch it while I am driving but I love looking while I am at a stoplight.

Yes, it works, there are a couple of ways of defeating the system in letting you play dvds while driving. Grounding the handbrake does not work on the pioneer. You can google it instead of paying someone $3.99.

SNDSOUL said:
In the past 5 yrs Quart has really gone to the shitter. Now they've just been bought by Maxxsonics(low end company) so there's no telling what they will be like next year :frown:
I use Morel Elate 9's in my car and I have heard very few component sets that I like better.
Do yourself a favor and find a Diamond Audio dealer that has a set of D9 components in stock, they sound VeRy nice also. Price on either set is around $1500 from authorized dealers.

ok thanks for the info I did not know about that...... :biggrin:
I think I will look into some diamond audios

yaynsx said:

From what I understand, it's simply by going through the reverse camera input for the D1. For the N2 I'm not sure. The nice thing about the Pioneers is the XM Nav Traffic. But for more functionality in an all in one unit I would definitely buy an Eclipse instead. You can easily bypass the DVD in motion by grounding the parking brake and it plays DVDs. One slot for DVDs and one for Nav. If I didn't have to have an all in one unit, I would definitely go for the Kenwood 8017. It handles MP3s better and the NAV unit is separate and upgradable. You can also buy a MusicKeg or go for the IPOD controller.

Back