• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where are all the Production deliveries ??

so that is Ferretti......he is a bad judge of character....

I've been out of the NSX ownership loop since 2010.....please answer a few questions for me
why are so many cars sitting unsold?

Car is priced too low?
Reviews have been way too positive from all quality sources?
Car's performance eclipses everything else in the $200K range + it's too fast?
Dealers way too knowledgable?
AHFS lease & finance rates are too low?
The hybrid part makes too much sense just like it does on the RLX hybrid?
The guy running the NSX marketing show is such a great guy?

Finally.....

"The server is currently too busy due to overwhelming interest in the new NSX! Please try back in a little while. Check out our Facebook page in the meantime"

EDIT: In closing, tried to convince myself into this new NSX....can't rationalize it.

goodbye_zpsg6yeupae.jpg~original

Last edited:
^ Lol. Ferretti may be a douche, but he harped on a lot of FACTS.

If this video is accurate, shouldn't we be hearing of people buying inventory cars at steep discounts to MSRP? That could be coming, but I have not seen or heard of it. Has anyone?

Attached are the four (and only four) 2017 NSX listings that Ebay marks as actually "Sold." Three seem well above MSRP and one is a tiny bit ($1-2K) above MSRP.

attachment.php

Acura has 10% of declining sales another year after the new nsx launch in the fall...
http://en.responsejp.com/article/2016/12/19/287271.html
The mdx is the only thing that really seems to be keeping Acura alive. Maybe that is why the nsx interior looks a bit crossover' ish. they really need to price this car at about 135,000... I feel bad for some of you earlier purchasers of this car. It seems your going to lose tens of thousands if this trend keeps up. Yikes. I hope it doesn't for you all but I would buy an nsx that was competitively priced with a new gtr. For 200k I would run away from it.

Last edited:
As I've mentioned before all of the comments about the new NSX are the same comments I heard back in 91 when I bought my first NSX.
It took the test of time before the car world understood what the Honda engineers built into the original NSX.
In fact it took almost 20 years.
The NSX has always been the poor cousin surrounded by the Porsche's, Ferrari's, Lambo's and Audi's and it will likely always be so.

And yes Honda still hasn't figured out how to market a car in this segment and they've certainly made a right botch of it on the new one.
Just like they did on the original launch I might add.

All old news I'm afraid

It took the test of time before the car world understood what the Honda engineers built into the original NSX.
In fact it took almost 20 years.
There were some detractors but I remember a lot of people understanding immediately. E.g., "It's the best sports car the world has ever produced. Any time. Any place. Any price." (Motor Trend, September 1990). Dealers were getting (not just asking) substantially over MSRP for early production.

The NA1 was much better received on its release than the NC1 has been. I don't think it's even close.

Agreed, na1 was a legend at birth. The new car, not so much.

Agreed, na1 was a legend at birth. The new car, not so much.

Respectfully disagree. Many of us who a little later became big NSX advocates and owners, did ridicule the car and the effort behind it when it first came out.
That being said, it is often stated that Acura in the US has had a serious image problem and many AH people are well aware of it. The repeated efforts by US product planners to push the brand into a better luxury and performance status over the last 10-15 years have been stymied by corporate decisions. That the new NSX is so poorly selling at its launch will not help things much. IMO, time will slightly redress things just like it did with the original. Again IMO, this new car is a wonderful vehicle that should give owners a very satisfactory ownership experience.

If that was true, why is it that the 1991's sold more than any other year? I think people lost interest with it over time. In 91 it was purely futuristic.

If that was true, why is it that the 1991's sold more than any other year? I think people lost interest with it over time. In 91 it was purely futuristic.

In its defense, most new models sell the most units in their first year. It's only natural that sales peter out after a decade in production. Also, the original NSX was never intended to be a high-volume car, but instead a low-volume halo. Honda was not struggling to sell cars circa 2000, but was happy to sell a handful of cars.

When it was launched it offered great value for what you were paying.
Competitive with almost anything on the road but much less expensive.
And reliable.

Honda US made the mistake of assuming the 91 sales rate would continue indefinitely and over-ordered 92 models.
Soon there was hundreds of unsold NSX's sitting on the docks in Long Beach, dealers began discounting, and the image was tarnished.
It took 20 years to recover.

Great car, poorly marketed.
Had Honda US kept supply in line with demand and Honda Japan kept development up, the NSX would be in a different spot today.

When it was launched it offered great value for what you were paying.
Competitive with almost anything on the road but much less expensive.
And reliable.

It was a great reliable car offering great value (although I wouldn't pay the AMV extortion in 1991). And the new NSX is also a "great" car but I believe it came in too highly priced. I realize all the hybrid stuff costs money for R&D and needs to be made back but with a limited production car that already has a fan base they could have easily sold out the first couple of years if it came in around $115k.

As I have mentioned previously, I was supposed to get my dealer's first car over 25 years ago until they asked for a "minimum markup" of over 50% of sticker and I went and bought an S Class Mercedes down the road instead. I was 30 years old and 5 years out of law school and felt comfortable offering cash deals. Finally in 1999 I bought my '96 and at the same time with the same dealer tried to strike a deal to take my mercedes in trade and I would buy the NSX and a DB7 that had just been turned in that morning. We couldn't come to an agreement on the DB7 price and I left with the NSX and kept my benz.

Comparatively speaking, in 1999 I could have bought both cars for much less than a 2017 NSX (even in 1999 dollars). That would have given me a daily driver in the summer and a daily driver the rest of the year.

However, I just cannot justify spending $200k on the 2017 NSX. And when you consider we don't even know what the maintenance costs will be and it is unlikely someone like Larry B will be able to maintain it like he does with my '96, as well as looking at possible $500 oil changes, I just won't go for it.

I understand they wanted more of an exclusive market but I don't see them moving 800 units in the USA for the first year at this price point.

Last edited:
It was a great reliable car offering great value (although I wouldn't pay the AMV extortion in 1991). And the new NSX is also a "great" car but I believe it came in too highly priced. I realize all the hybrid stuff costs money for R&D and needs to be made back but with a limited production car that already has a fan base they could have easily sold out the first couple of years if it came in around $115k.

However, I just cannot justify spending $200k on the 2017 NSX. And when you consider we don't even know what the maintenance costs will be and it is unlikely someone like Larry B will be able to maintain it like he does with my '96, as well as looking at possible $500 oil changes, I just won't go for it.

I understand they wanted more of an exclusive market but I don't see them moving 800 units in the USA for the first year at this price point.

Will be interesting to watch it unfold.
I really wonder what Honda was thinking with the delivery of all the highly optioned dealer units then the dealers adding the market adjustment premium.
Seem to me all the Honda/Acura people were in a bubble, all worked up over the new NSX, and thinking they had this exclusive car that the world would pay any amount to buy.
They missed that buyers in this market segment must be among the most knowledgeable on the planet and for the price being asked for an unknown car there would be some reticence.

Honda needed to get one thing done right.
Launch the car, get a solid order file and keep unsold inventory to a minimum.
If there is a solid 6 month wait list price and magazine articles have a limited effect on demand.

However price it high, have 150+ unsolds at silly dealer premiums, have a few magazine tests showing the NSX in a 3rd to 5th place finish and overnight you have a big problem.

Now Honda has the early adopters, assured by Honda that there would be no unsold cars, watching their purchase devalue over the winter when they can't drive it.
Class action suit stuff Bob?

Anyone have pictures of the Nord Grey?

I think this car would look great in Orange or even Yellow! Acura needs some bright colors since this is after all an exotic car that needs to turn heads :)

Hoping 2018 will offer some new options!

I think half of the problem wouldn't even be a problem if they'd stop dinking around and just sell them at sticker and no more since the beginning.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I think half of the problem wouldn't even be a problem if they'd stop dinking around and just sell them at sticker and no more since the beginning.

But with this caveat:

The 2017 NSX was a "custom order" configured to the exact specs of a buyer. But the dealers grabbed virtually all the first allocations, speced them out with almost all the carbon goodies and then asked for AMV of up to $50k over MSRP.

This completely destroyed the intention of Acura to have "real buyers and enthusiasts" configuring their own cars and being the first kid on their block to have one. Once prospective buyers (including some here who had significant deposits on hold for up to 10 years) were told they were not the first in line, that "gotta have it" enthusiasm waned.

Now with so many unsold units any car person with $200k to throw into a "toy" will be smart enough to wait until the bubble bursts and snap up a new one during the inevitable fire sale.

But with this caveat:

But the dealers grabbed virtually all the first allocations...

This completely destroyed the intention of Acura to have "real buyers and enthusiasts" configuring their own cars and being the first kid on their block to have one...

Dealers didn't grab them, Acura handed the cars to them. There are people that have been on a list with a deposit for 10 years.
So Acura promises that all cars will be built to customers, they instead build them for the dealers that tried to marked them up before a market was even created.
Honda's mistake was to let Acura handle the new NSX.

Anyone have pictures of the Nord Grey?

I think this car would look great in Orange or even Yellow! Acura needs some bright colors since this is after all an exotic car that needs to turn heads :)

Hoping 2018 will offer some new options!
I think that too. I also think, if they ditched the hybrid system, made it a 4 wheel drive with a twin turbo V8, this car wouldn't be sitting like a pretty decoration in dealerships across the nation. But we know Honda. Less power is always their top priority. I really can't get a handle on why they are trying to sell a hybrid sports car for 200 grand. Especially when a normally aspirated v10 Audi can whip the damn pants off of it...

Now with so many unsold units any car person with $200k to throw into a "toy" will be smart enough to wait until the bubble bursts and snap up a new one during the inevitable fire sale.
Those of with $200K to spend on "toys" don't need to wait. :wink:

Back