• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where are all the Production deliveries ??

I was finally able to test drive and see two today the Valencia Red and the White Pearl both had the carbon accents, roof, and red seats with black alcantara. I personally love the look of the car. Its just stunning at every angle. I was really surprised at how comfortable the car was as well. Its very practical and definitely a great touring car for long trips. I also liked how the power delivery is so smooth and direct. I was very impressed and definitely will be picking one up in the coming year.

I think someone (BricksandBio maybe) in another thread stated no targa or convertible.

I believe you maybe correct regarding Honda lacking appetite to invest anymore in the car. It will suffer a similar fate as the CR-Z.

All this negativity regarding the new NSX is fairly overwhelming and is mirrored by the dreadful sales numbers. I wonder if those who work on the car actually read any of what we post? I'm sure they aren't allowed to comment but it would seem a curiosity if potential customers nag, would they respond?

Yes, the info I received is no targa or vert.

No matter how poor the sales are, I get plenty of positive feedback. At the the local cars and coffee this morning, I had a nice chat with a couple where he brought an Evora and his wife came with a Cayman.

Seeing those pictures of the first-gen NSX made me nostalgic. It probably wouldn't have worked for the marketplace at large (then again, what they DID do isn't working either...), but if the 2nd gen NSX had looked EXACTLY like the first-gen on the outside, just with new tech, safety features, etc. under the skin and in the interior, I would gladly have plunked down $200k.

Seeing those pictures of the first-gen NSX made me nostalgic. It probably wouldn't have worked for the marketplace at large (then again, what they DID do isn't working either...), but if the 2nd gen NSX had looked EXACTLY like the first-gen on the outside, just with new tech, safety features, etc. under the skin and in the interior, I would gladly have plunked down $200k.

You are onto something--Acura completely abandoned the nostalgia factor with its polarizing NC1 design. Had Acura just made the exterior pay homage to NA1-2 like Ford did with the 06 GT to the late 60s GT40, they would have been able to tap into the original buyers and those that never got one but wanted one. They would have been able to capture the imagination, hearts and minds of thousands of more buyers than they did with NC1. Especially if it just came equipped w a high reving NA V6. If Acura came out and said "look, we are targeting the Porsche GT3, we are extremely light weight, rev to 9K RPM, and handle like we are glued on rails and cost $110K" it would sell at a healthy clip. Not sure they would need to charge $156K base like the NC1 because R&D costs would have been much lower...focusing on engine supremacy and chassis dynamics instead of battery packs and earth dreams...

You are onto something--Acura completely abandoned the nostalgia factor with its polarizing NC1 design. Had Acura just made the exterior pay homage to NA1-2 like Ford did with the 06 GT to the late 60s GT40, they would have been able to tap into the original buyers and those that never got one but wanted one. They would have been able to capture the imagination, hearts and minds of thousands of more buyers than they did with NC1. Especially if it just came equipped w a high reving NA V6. If Acura came out and said "look, we are targeting the Porsche GT3, we are extremely light weight, rev to 9K RPM, and handle like we are glued on rails and cost $110K" it would sell at a healthy clip. Not sure they would need to charge $156K base like the NC1 because R&D costs would have been much lower...focusing on engine supremacy and chassis dynamics instead of battery packs and earth dreams...

You do not understand the costs.What you asked for would almost cost more than the NC1.Do you know what is the biggest cost of the NC1?
1)Engine($75k) That same engine designed to be NA and rev to 9,000 rpm and last 200,000 miles would of cost $ 100k-120k or more!!! Good blue printed high-rev NA engine always cost more than a boosted engine(must rev and must have perfect fit everywhere to make power)
Do remember the NC1 engine is a full blown race engine(Honda design, Cosworth made) in a street car.
2)Chassis(space-frame)
The Hybrid System is cheap compared to everything else(5-8k).Same System in 60k RLX.

Last edited:
You do not understand the costs.What you asked for would almost cost more than the NC1.Do you know what is the biggest cost of the NC1?
1)Engine($75k) That same engine designed to be NA and rev to 9,000 rpm and last 200,000 miles would of cost $ 100k-120k or more!!! Good blue printed high-rev NA engine always cost more than a boosted engine(must rev and must have perfect fit everywhere to make power)
Do remember the NC1 engine is a full blown race engine(Honda design, Cosworth made) in a street car.
2)Chassis(space-frame)
The Hybrid System is cheap compared to everything else(5-8k).Same System in 60k RLX.

So let me get this straight: it costs Porsche more to develop the GT3 engine than it would to make a hybrid GT3 with 3 electric motors? Where on earth does it cost more Research & Development (R&D) dollars to create a NA engine than to create a complex electrified turbo drivetrain...? I'm referring to R&D investments not the cost of replacing individual engines at the parts counter. There is no way a NA V6 would have incurred more R&D costs than a hybrid 3 motor set up plus turbo ICE...it would have cost less then half...easily...

i think Mogami might have gotten those two confused. a simple ICE power unit versus a massively complicated hybrid with 3 electric engines and a twin turbo V6? yuh, ummm, no...

It depends on commonality/volume of the engine application. If this engine was only used in a low production vehicle like the NSX CPU would go up significantly. As opposed to the hybrid system that is already on a moving line with more production.

Looks is always subjective....with that said, we had a Huracan, loved the car but not very comfortable.

Side by side, both cars are quite exotic, we had our allocation for the Performante' Spyder come up but we decided to pass for now since we love the NSX so much, how can you say it doesn't look exotic :)

let you guys decide which cars look more exotic:

It depends on commonality/volume of the engine application. If this engine was only used in a low production vehicle like the NSX CPU would go up significantly. As opposed to the hybrid system that is already on a moving line with more production.

(to my knowledge) the application of everything in this car is NC1 specific, much like the NA1 and NA2 before it. i could be wrong, but i don't believe there are many common parts shared between the NSX and the other Acura models?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but never in automotive history has a major manufacturer taken a model that's moving 3 units per month and invested more in it?

i wouldn't wager you're wrong. with a trending decline of 6, then 5, now 3, and possibly 1 or 2 next month, the likelihood of eventually none in the future, i can't see Honda throwing more money at this car...

let you guys decide which cars look more exotic:

The Huracan is on a whole different exotic planet, not even close. Why do they have Orange County Choppers logos on them? Are you them? I saw the guy building a car collection on one of the Chasing Classic Cars episodes.

The Huracan is the Honda Accord of YouTubers. I like the look and sound but I’m meh on the Huracan otherwise now.

The Huracan is on a whole different exotic planet, not even close. Why do they have Orange County Choppers logos on them? Are you them? I saw the guy building a car collection on one of the Chasing Classic Cars episodes.

Confused, the logo is from our shop EuroBoutique :)

drive one and you'll no longer feel "meh" about it. that car is the true automotive embodiment of a Raging Bull...

Agreed there is NOTHING "meh" about the Huracan, it's a high strung car the minute you fire up the engine with the most visceral v10 exhaust sound ever! We drove this back to back with the 720s and while the it's faster, there is nothing on the sound factor that can compare to the Huracan. It's probably Lamborghini's top dawg vehicle even out-performing it's big brother. Add the Performante' to the mix and it's game over!

The Huracan is the Honda Accord of YouTubers. I like the look and sound but I’m meh on the Huracan otherwise now.

I totally agree with this! They are out of this world cars, but damn you see them everywhere! And I am starting to feel like that with certain Ferraris and McLarens as well. Don't get me wrong, I'd have one in a heartbeat if I could, but a lot of these cars are losing their luster and appeal to me and others. I like having a car that you only see once in a great while, they tend to hold that "Special" feeling for people when they do see them.

I totally agree with this! They are out of this world cars, but damn you see them everywhere! And I am starting to feel like that with certain Ferraris and McLarens as well. Don't get me wrong, I'd have one in a heartbeat if I could, but a lot of these cars are losing their luster and appeal to me and others. I like having a car that you only see once in a great while, they tend to hold that "Special" feeling for people when they do see them.

then the new NSX would be the one. i've seen 4 in 2 years...

Agreed there is NOTHING "meh" about the Huracan, it's a high strung car the minute you fire up the engine with the most visceral v10 exhaust sound ever! We drove this back to back with the 720s and while the it's faster, there is nothing on the sound factor that can compare to the Huracan. It's probably Lamborghini's top dawg vehicle even out-performing it's big brother. Add the Performante' to the mix and it's game over!

the Performante, FARK! :biggrin:

drive one and you'll no longer feel "meh" about it. that car is the true automotive embodiment of a Raging Bull...

It seems like everybody's got a Huracan. I think the only Huracan I'd buy would be the Performante. The Performante is pure "sex" and blows most hypercars out of the water. I love it! I wouldn't drive it every day like a NSX (gen 1 or gen 2), but it'd sure as heck be an event every time I drove it.

It seems like everybody's got a Huracan. I think the only Huracan I'd buy would be the Performante. The Performante is pure "sex" and blows most hypercars out of the water. I love it! I wouldn't drive it every day like a NSX (gen 1 or gen 2), but it'd sure as heck be an event every time I drove it.

you're not wrong, i see heaps of them in L.A. and all over Malibu. personally, i never thought i could own a Lamborghini. they just scream, "look at me, i am so rich"! and as a kid who grew up as average as everyone else in Australia, and who passes dozens of people sleeping on sidewalks every day in this town, i dunno that i could do it, even though financially i could afford it.

the Performante, what a piece of machinery! faster than a 918 (and everything else) around the Ring. i'll take mine in orange with the gold rims please. the irony...

As they say in Australia the tall poppy gets chopped down and that will happen here too when the people sleeping in the street have had enough.

So let me get this straight: it costs Porsche more to develop the GT3 engine than it would to make a hybrid GT3 with 3 electric motors? Where on earth does it cost more Research & Development (R&D) dollars to create a NA engine than to create a complex electrified turbo drivetrain...? I'm referring to R&D investments not the cost of replacing individual engines at the parts counter. There is no way a NA V6 would have incurred more R&D costs than a hybrid 3 motor set up plus turbo ICE...it would have cost less then half...easily...
i can see where hes coming from.

high revving V6, built for almost twice the power of the original, drivability, AND honda reliability? that's going to be quite a task. 500HP out of a V6TT? relatively easy (ive never done it, but i'm guessing).

the hybrid system has been out basically since 2014 and currently powers 3 Acura vehicles.

so yes, i can see how he believes the hybrid could cost less to develop than a NA V6.

at cars and coffee or any upscale car gathering, they're common like porsches.

As they say in Australia the tall poppy gets chopped down and that will happen here too when the people sleeping in the street have had enough.

it's a very different story here mate.

to get back on topic. who's wants to guess how many NSX's sell for the month of August? are we going for more, or less, than 3?

i can see where hes coming from.

high revving V6, built for almost twice the power of the original, drivability, AND honda reliability? that's going to be quite a task. 500HP out of a V6TT? relatively easy (ive never done it, but i'm guessing).

the hybrid system has been out basically since 2014 and currently powers 3 Acura vehicles.

so yes, i can see how he believes the hybrid could cost less to develop than a NA V6.

Except that pioneering super car legend Ted Klaus had to develop the NC1 Turbo V6 in extreme crisis mode. That hybrid system you're referring to made the NC1 test mules 8 seconds faster per lap when it was actually turned off and paired with the J block. When mensa member Klaus realized the transverse J wouldn't work, the costs incurred to fast track a turbo V6 and mate it with the hybrid system and achieve actual performance gains far outstrips the costs of Honda just developing a NA V6 in Tochigi from Day One...Time is money and they spent hundreds of millions more in R&D with their fumbled, overly complex development plan...no way a clean sheet ICE V6 with a normal development timeline costs more than Klaus' cyclops development vision and timeline...

It's my guess the NC1 turbo V6 wasn't developed in crisis mode. HPD had a transverse 2.8L twin turbo HR28TT in an old NSX running Pikes Peak back in 2012. They could have swapped it longitudinally, sandwiched an electronic power unit between it and a DCT, and gone from there "relatively" easily. Is the current 3.5L a derivative of that LeMans engine?
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/164732-NSX-at-Pikes-Peak-this-year

There must be a lot more to the story we don't know. How could mother Honda greenlight a new NSX and not have any new sports car experimental stuff planned for it other than ablation casting? A hybrid must have been part of the goal from the beginning.

Something doesn't add up. I think they were just looking for any kind of plausible press excuse for the continual delays.

Being Hybrid is the only reason it got green lighted by Ito.

Too keep R&D cost down it was designed to use the same power-train(except the NA J35 was going to be hotter) as the RLX.

Except the American team ran in problems with the J35.

1) J35 Can't Rev(need to rev to make power in NA Engine). SOHC,Long-Stroke and very Small Bearings.

2) Boosted transverse J35 doesn't work because of space(turbo, piping and battery) and heat.

So if your going to go Long. Engine Layout and Ito wanted it to be a Racecar(GT3) from day one. It would need a engine designed from day one to GT3 specs(not cheap!!!).
(transverse layout doesn't work in racing very well).

That move added 50K to the base price. The RLX power-train NSX(400-450hp) would of been 100k.

Last edited:
Back