• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which car maufacturer has the best paint job

Which manufacturer has the best paint job?

• Acura

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Audi

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • BMW

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Infiniti

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Lexus

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Mercedes

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
Infiniti is now offering their self healing paint as and option on their 2012s, same stuff I have on my Xpel Ultimate clear bra as a top clear coat. It works. Scratch it and a few hours later the scratches are gone.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Infiniti is now offering their self healing paint as and option on their 2012s, same stuff I have on my Xpel Ultimate clear bra as a top clear coat. It works. Scratch it and a few hours later the scratches are gone.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Self healing paint? Is this some type of nano technology?

BMWs have nasty orange peel, as do many other car companies these days.

The NSX is one of the few cars that I've seen that doesn't have orange peel. It's as smooth as glass.

BMWs have nasty orange peel, as do many other car companies these days.

The NSX is one of the few cars that I've seen that doesn't have orange peel. It's as smooth as glass.

Orange peel on original paint?
Does this mean the paint is thicker or more layers?
I noticed Acura (NSX) can get swirls pretty easy, but BMW have less of them (on black cars). That's my observation.

Orange peel on original paint?
Does this mean the paint is thicker or more layers?
I noticed Acura (NSX) can get swirls pretty easy, but BMW have less of them (on black cars). That's my observation.

yeah. orange peel on original paint is common these days. i hear it has to do with environmental regs requiring a higher water content in the paint...or something along those lines.

I don't think the NSX gets swirls easily. It may just be the materials you are using or the color of your car that show swirls more.

Self healing paint? Is this some type of nano technology?

yes. I did some research and it uses a resin mixed in with a traditional clear with similar molecules that Lobsters and Crabs have for regenerating their shells. Infiniti introduced this in 2008, but apparently had some problems with it in the real world and discontinued it. My understanding is that they are now re-introducing it in 2012 on certain models as an option.

I just had the Xpel Ultimate clear bra installed on the NSX last month.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2Se11LSRnKA?rel=0&hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Infiniti Paint

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fQIsEa4p5mk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
on any factory painted NSX there is orange peel. smooth as glass by touch sure... but look at it from an angle with one eye closed bounce the light just right and you will see the waves of peel.

but self healing paint can you explain this? I am getting ready to have my 2002 painted and this may be an option I may look into.

any links to this (nano) paint? let us know Im very interested

New cars today use water base paints. But I believe this isn't true for the clear coats.
My new Toyota Tacoma has the softest paint I have ever seen. It marks easy but does not buff out well either. I am disappointment with the Toyota paint, my neighbors Lexus is the same.
The NSX is an exception for Honda. I do not think other Honda paint is anything close.
VW used to have great paint, not sure about today's cars. Porsche and Audi do have great paint!
Yes, BMW's have orange peal, and it seems to be the standard. I have yet to find a BMW that does not have OP.

on any factory painted NSX there is orange peel. smooth as glass by touch sure... but look at it from an angle with one eye closed bounce the light just right and you will see the waves of peel.

but self healing paint can you explain this? I am getting ready to have my 2002 painted and this may be an option I may look into.

any links to this (nano) paint? let us know Im very interested

Older Links:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29663741/#.TuohEUqRrmw

http://www.akzonobel.com/aac/news/pressreleases/2009/new_self_healing_clearcoat_from_akzonobel.aspx

Newer Links:

http://www.dailytech.com/New+Polymeric+Car+Paint+Can+SelfHeal+Major+Scratches+Dings/article21437.htm

http://www.bayercoatings.de/bms/db-...OEN_7EAClearcoat?OpenDocument&ExpandSection=3

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h-fka0wfY8w?rel=0&hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
yes. I did some research and it uses a resin mixed in with a traditional clear with similar molecules that Lobsters and Crabs have for regenerating their shells. Infiniti introduced this in 2008, but apparently had some problems with it in the real world and discontinued it. My understanding is that they are now re-introducing it in 2012 on certain models as an option.

I just had the Xpel Ultimate clear bra installed on the NSX last month.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2Se11LSRnKA?rel=0&hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Infiniti Paint

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fQIsEa4p5mk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Amazing!

The Lexus paint on the LS400 was superb, for a 14 year old car that's been driving daily and once I detail it the paint come right back alive. I can't speak for the later models and I don't know if they changed their paint process in recent years.

Always have had good luck with Lexus paint.

Benz and BMW both have ceramic clear coat.

It's very hard to scratch and chip compared to the stuff from USA and Japan.

My father washed all 5 of his Benz with laundry grey water and a dirty cotton rag and you CAN'T tell that he did.

Oh and he never waxed it too.

That's pretty amazing. No fading on your dad's car even he never wax his cars?

That's pretty amazing. No fading on your dad's car even he never wax his cars?

None.

He does garage his cars though.

There are no swirl marks too. If I washed my NSX once the way he did it my paint would show the scratches and swirl marks.

People that know the value of the factory ceramic clear coat won't ever buy those cars repainted, even if it's a rock chip claim.

Preserving a scratch-free, high gloss finish over a longer vehicle life has challenged the auto industry for decades. One problem is acid etch, degradation of the surface by acid rain in the environment, a major factor in the phenomenon more generally known as weathering; another is scratch resistance to abrasion from many sources, not least of which is the car wash. Unfortunately, any solution comes with trade-offs in paint chemistry. A scratch resistant coating was not as environmentally resistant, and vice-versa. And chemistries which offered the best combination were not water based, so applying them released solvent volatiles from paint departments.

All auto companies wanted a solution to this problem. Working with DaimlerChrysler’s Mercedes-Benz unit, PPG’s Development Group in Allison, PA, developed Ceramic Clearcoat technology. Ceramic Clearcoat uses nanotechnology to migrate silicon particles to the outer surface of the coating, creating a very thin, hard, glass-like surface. It sets a new standard for scratch resistance, at least three times better than that of any prior coatings, while maintaining excellent acid etch resistance, and with little capital expense or time required for conversion in production. The coating is sufficiently hard that new methods for testing it and for repairing it had to be developed. Ceramic Clearcoat should contribute to the preservation of a desirable high gloss for years under conditions of daily wear, even including washing of fleet vehicles.

I pay a lot of attention to paint. Go to an Audi dealer and look at the paint on the new audis. It is top notch. Our local Audi dealer is also Porsche and the audis are clearly superior to the Porsche paint regardless of Porsche model or trim level. Another manufacturer with nice paint is the new 2012 dodge (trucks too) I hate dodge but couldn't. Believe the quality of the paint way better then most other car co's

Mercedes for sure. Hell any German auto company besides BMW. Their paint oxidizes quickly compared to the others.

From my personal experience, the paint and finish on my 97 Audi A8 and 02 Audi S8 have been the best I have experienced. Over 10 years old and 200000 miles and the paint was still immaculate.

I always liked the 01-03 S8, I think it's one of the most understated full size sports sedan of all time, and one of the cars that look 200% better in person. Somehow the hood always looks too long in pictures but with great proportion when see it in person. I was going to get a used one but it's very difficult to find one with low mileage. So based on your experience how are the reliability of the A8 and S8? How long have you owned them?

Can't believe you have both an A8 and a S8, great taste! What color is your S8? The green one in the movie Ronin was my top choice :smile:

Last edited:
OK.....don't laugh....my 2005 Toyota Prius has almost 200K miles on it and still looks new. I wax it maybe 4 times a year but keep it clean and it has a clear bra on it.

The last new Porsche I had, a '97 993, had poor paint with a lot of orange peel.

I bought a new '10 MBZ E coupe 2 years ago and the paint seems to be very nice and is holding up quite well. Again, clear bra installed.

Now my daily driver is a '12 Kia Optima SX in snow white pearl and is a month old now but the paint seems pretty darn nice so far, yeah clear bra installed.

Back