• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which NSX should I keep?

Shawn,

I have viewed your build threads thoroughly and I will say that the effort and craftsmanship you put into ALL of your cars is top notch and documented (as most other Primers have stated). As far as WHICH NSX you should sell, from previous posts (other threads) you have seemed a lot more attached to your first NSX (NA1) so if you must sell one of your NSXs I think that your '04 seems a better candidate.

Ask $60k for your time and effort, like you said you're not in a huge hurry to sell regardless. Someone who can look into Prime and see all the time and quality work that has been done to rebuild this car will see that no corners were cut and might just fork up an offer near the asking price as there are fewer and fewer good examples of the NSX in general, let alone the 02+.

Stay strong and you had better get another sporty manual car to teach your wife before she crunches new NSX gears :tongue:

Shawn...the 02 has a fresh paint job and probably looks better than the OEM paint job. Personally, I am not real impressed with the OEM NSX paint job and think and aftermarket paint job, if done right, looks much better. Keep the car and enjoy it. Nobody is going to drive up next to you and say, "hey, why are you driving a salvage car?" What they will say is, "beautiful car!" once they see that beautiful and pristine paint!

Shawn,

I have viewed your build threads thoroughly and I will say that the effort and craftsmanship you put into ALL of your cars is top notch and documented (as most other Primers have stated). As far as WHICH NSX you should sell, from previous posts (other threads) you have seemed a lot more attached to your first NSX (NA1) so if you must sell one of your NSXs I think that your '04 seems a better candidate.

Ask $60k for your time and effort, like you said you're not in a huge hurry to sell regardless. Someone who can look into Prime and see all the time and quality work that has been done to rebuild this car will see that no corners were cut and might just fork up an offer near the asking price as there are fewer and fewer good examples of the NSX in general, let alone the 02+.

Stay strong and you had better get another sporty manual car to teach your wife before she crunches new NSX gears :tongue:

Shawn this man is your fan.:biggrin:

I agree with the posters saying to put BOTH for sale. Whichever sells first will give you your answer. Feel free to ask whatever you would like for them since you have an advantage on your side (time...meaning you're in no rush). Month by month you can see how many nibbles you get and adjust the prices accordingly if you want.

Just a couple random thoughts -- There is almost a 100% chance that a lender will not lend full amount for the vehicle. Through my research I cannot find any resource that will give KBB on a salvaged title. On top of that I don't know of any major insurance company (I've checked the top 5 biggest) that will insure the vehicle for full value. Some of them won't even provide more than liability insurance for a dirty title. Obviously this varies state by state, but its just another thing a buyer has to go through during the purchase process. Lastly, as it's been mentioned before the resale value will most likely dramatically drop. Though you have done an amazing write up and documentation of the build I am sure things will be missed when trying to pass it on again (think the telephone game here).

So...with all that said, I personally feel that someone that has $60k cash (again going with my tight fisted lender opinion) to buy the car doesn't have $60k cash laying around by making uninformed decisions. Therefore, I would expect them to do research as I have and come up with many leverage-able positions from the buyer angle. Though, there are always people that surprise me (even with some cars I've sold) so that is why I go back to saying just list them both and see what happens. Keep in mind I personally am not bashing a dirty/salvage title as I have purchased a couple in my time -- though I was never concerned with insurance/lenders/etc since they were built for track duties only. I am merely stating how I feel an "educated" buyer would approach the situation.

Either way, best of luck with your decision!

That's the asking price, and the seller can ask for the moon. Whether they get that is another story. How long has Tabasco's car been for sale , for example?

the 02+ with the pre 02+ front end conversion with accident will never sell for that asking price imo.

you can get a clean 2002+ accident free nsx or even newer 2007 997 911 v1 (if your into porsches) for that price.

"On sale" is not the same as "sold". I can put my car on the market for $55k all day long but would anyone buy it?

thats a very fair/realistic and honest statement. in my year of searching ive seen nsx's that have asked almost 50k here on prime; where ive seen the same car end up on ebay and sell for around half that.

either way time will tell. GLWS shawn.

Last edited:
as for lenders and salvage cars there wouldnt be any issues,
its an object they can repo if you dont pay and get their money back.

as for insurance they WILL insure any car that can drive on the street they dont care ,but only what you paid for it not KBB value.

While I admire the work you did,this statement isn't completely true. My credit union will not finance a rebuilt title car. They have no age stipulations, and will loan up to kbb value, but won't touch a rebuilt title...

Shawn Sent you a PM in reference to the shipping for the door. Not sure if it popped up yet but problem solved for us!

Shawn...the 02 has a fresh paint job and probably looks better than the OEM paint job. Personally, I am not real impressed with the OEM NSX paint job and think and aftermarket paint job, if done right, looks much better......

My NSX is proof of this.

When I had it repainted from rock chips and pulled up in a NSX meet. The OEM paint just looked subpar next to a shop that can match the factory orange peel from a F50 ferrari.....

Sell them both...and buy a 97-99. Best of both worlds. 3.2 six speed with the more distinctive (and less awkward) styling of the NA1. Or go for the original, a low mileage 91...manual steering and year-one cred at a bargain price.

It's natural human behavior that people want more for less. In saying so, I'd say 99% of interested parties in your '04 will talk down on it just so they can get a good deal. It's a very similar case to Anil's car.

My opinion is to keep the '04 if you must sell one of them because likely, no one will be willing to pay for the love and sweat that went into the car, even if he/she appreciates the work but won't admit to it in terms of monetary value.

Otherwise, just keep both as it seems like you won't be getting the New NSX. We're on the same boat here, I lost my interest because of the 7-speed DCT.

if they dont offer it in a Manual transmission, I wont even buy a used one years down the road. does not interest me.

now if it is offered in Manual I will have one. its to early to tell what Honda is going to do.

time will tell

Here are my two cents as a user with no history or credibility..

The rebuilt car might be hard for you to sell, but will be impossible for the next owner to sell at near the same price.
Since you did the repairs with the full build thread, you have the documentation and credibility to get more than a normal rebuilt NA2.

However, when I think about buying it, I think of what will happen if I had to sell it the next day. I may hope to never sell it, but we all know that sometimes things happen. For me, it would be hard to justify spending that much more on a rebuilt '04, knowing that I'll instantly lose 10-15K because when I sell it, I'll have to give a second hand account of how well the rebuild went.

edit: PS. Therefore, keep the 04 and sell me the 92.. :p

Since you did the repairs with the full build thread, you have the documentation and credibility to get more than a normal rebuilt NA2.

I'm going to play the devil's advocate.

How so? Have you seen, driven or inspected the vehicle in person?
A few pics and he tells you what they are supposed to be and what he wants you to know about the car and it's state.
You are on the other side of the continent, in another country.

It may all be fine as pumpkin pie but if you have no first hand knowledge, how do you know?

Last edited:
Hey Batman! Long time no talk!

My NSX is proof of this.

When I had it repainted from rock chips and pulled up in a NSX meet. The OEM paint just looked subpar next to a shop that can match the factory orange peel from a F50 ferrari.....

PHP:
I'm going to play the devil's advocate.

How so? Have you seen, driven or inspected the vehicle in person?
A few pics and he tells you what they are supposed to be and what he wants you to know about the car and it's state.
You are on the other side of the continent, in another country.

It may all be fine as pumpkin pie but if you have no first hand knowledge, how do you know?
That's true, technically, I should have said 'you have the documentation and credibility to probably get more than a normal rebuilt NA2.'

IMO, someone serious enough about buying a rebuilt NA2 will eventually, probably sooner rather than later, find the build thread. So given the amount of work put into the car, yes, I would think that it's fair to say he can probably get more than a normal rebuilt NA2.

What's wrong with the '00 & '01? :confused:

Agreed, RedWings. Not a damn thing. The omission of those years in my suggestion was just an oversight on my part.

Love those much improved seat coverings. I miss the perf in my S2K seats for sure. Ditto the perforated leather on the steering wheel.

Back