• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which winter beater should I buy?

Our definitions of beater are at total opposite ends of the ballpark. I consider a beater between $800-$1000, and leave it on the side of the road when it explodes. I usually have two beaters for redundancy and alternate between the two.

That being said, a previous Subaru beater lasted 5 years before someone begged to buy it, so I let it go at the price I got it for. Only did fluid changes and plugs, nothing else. Very happy with Subaru.

Subaru, Acura RDX or MDX, or a mid 2000's 4runner would be a good choice too. My RDX has been 100% problem free and great in the snow, as well as a nice vehicle to drive.

I don't see how 4WD is a must. I think a great set of winter tire is more important than just having a 4WD vehicule.

+1, I agree I prefer 4WD, when I come home from hockey some of the roads are not plowed yet if there is a storm and I have to go up some steep hills to get to my house.

I guess FWD w/snows would work to

Our definitions of beater are at total opposite ends of the ballpark. I consider a beater between $800-$1000

The cheaper the better. I'd be very happy with something that cost $1k, but it must be safe to have the kids in there and reliable.

It has to be presentable, I'm in real estate and deal with CEO's etc., so it can't be a rusted out beater. I prefer a later model car (about 10 years old) with high mileage

There is only one word you need to know. Subaru. By the way, we have an A4, its utter junk. I would not buy another one nor recommend one to anyone, anyone at all.

I agree. You cannot go wrong with the AWD system in a Subaru. The things are damn near indestructible, even the neglected ones.

I think a great set of winter tire is more important than just having a 4WD vehicule.
I think winter tires are more important than 4WD, but if you have to be out in winter weather conditions, especially snow-covered roads that haven't been plowed, you're better off with winter tires and 4WD.

It has to be presentable, I'm in real estate and deal with CEO's etc., so it can't be a rusted out beater. I prefer a later model car (about 10 years old) with high mileage
Look at 2003-2004 MDX's. There are lots of them with around 90-110K miles, and you should be able to pick one up for $10-12K. Very presentable, very reliable, and great in winter.

I think winter tires are more important than 4WD, but if you have to be out in winter weather conditions, especially snow-covered roads that haven't been plowed, you're better off with winter tires and 4WD.

Look at 2003-2004 MDX's. There are lots of them with around 90-110K miles, and you should be able to pick one up for $10-12K. Very presentable, very reliable, and great in winter.

I will definitely put winter tires on whatever beater I buy

This doesn't make sense to me. These were sold 1988-1991. We bought a 1988 and drove it for ten years until it died. It was a great car at the time. But there are very few of them still on the road, and most of those left are rusted out and beat up, with a bazillion miles. If you asked about a used 4WD for under $2K, this might be an okay choice. But since you're willing to spend up to $10K, you're probably looking for something newer than a 21-24 year old car.
Oh nsxtacy, your logic and sterility never ceases to amaze me.

I've had 2 in my possession for under $1K, and have had an opportunity to pick up another 3 over the past year.

They are so easy to work on, it is quite laughable. With a little time, effort, and money they are as dead-nuts reliable as any other Honda built before 2001.

With it being a 21-24 year old car, seeing another one on the road is a rarity. It is also as fun to drive as a CRX and has the utility of a light pickup.

My comment about throwing $10K into one was obviously said tongue-in-cheek...but you put $5K into one, and you would easily be able to get your money back out of it should it be put up for sale.

I say just buy a horse.

you can ride it till it dies, in 30 years LOL

and chicks dig a guy that knows how to ride a horse.

that song "save a horse ride a cowboy" comes to mind

Oh nsxtacy, your logic and sterility never ceases to amaze me.
Hey! Leave my reproductive system out of this discussion! :biggrin:

And there's no way a 21-24 year old Civic wagon is going to meet this part of the OP's search criteria:

You might look for a Honda Ridgeline. Roomy, AWD, rock solid reliability. Not as economical as a Subie or CRV, but roomier, versatile, and an excellent all weather vehicle.

I drive my 2006 Ridgeline 3 days a week, the NSX 2 days assuming good weather.

Subaru is my pick -

I have a 2009 legacy and am getting the 2013
Older outbacks are great too, my folks have one.
The only issue is that they hold their value - so a used one
costs a bit.

Looks like i'm buying a Subaru Legacy GT, which as you kow has the turbocharged WRX engine, and best of all, its a 5 spd manual.

Looks like i'm buying a Subaru Legacy GT, which as you kow has the turbocharged WRX engine, and best of all, its a 5 spd manual.

Deal fell through, someone beat me to it. Still looking, may have found an 04 Toyota 4Runner.

Deal fell through, someone beat me to it. Still looking, may have found an 04 Toyota 4Runner.

That does not sound very sporty. :wink: I think you would like a subi better and this is coming from a 4runner owner.

That does not sound very sporty. :wink: I think you would like a subi better and this is coming from a 4runner owner.

I know, but it's a winter beater, doesn't have to be sporty.

You can't go wrong with a Subaru, any one of them really... I sell a ton of 99-02 foresters/outbacks with anywhere from 120k miles to 200k and all of them running strong. They're pretty cheap to maintain too. I do any 4cyl Subaru head gasket/timing belt/water pump job for around $750, and that's using all OEM Subaru parts. If you need help searching for something in particular feel free to pm me, or visit my website at www.usedcarsjersey.com. I can get you an extremely fair price on whatever car you're looking for. The 10k and under market is my specialty haha.
John

thanks, unfortunately according to the ads, one will need a new engine and the other a new trans.

Well it is an STI for <$10,000 lol. One "might" need an engine rebuild, could be other easy (but time consuming) problem to fix. As for the tranny, just get someone to rebuild it or buy one and diy =D If i have STI's around my area going for that cheap, i'd definately check it out! (rediculous prices of STI here in canada, people still charge 25k+ for used beat up ones) Good luck!

Back