• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Whining engine noise

I get this noise comming from my eninge, which sounds like a powersteering pump (best way to describe), the whining noise.
I've always had this noise (i think all engines have this noise), but its over the last couple of days at moments much louder then normal. It comes and goes.
Its deffo engine related, it goes up and down with the enige revs clutch in or out. Its not the A/C.
Tought maybe its the alternator, so i stuck me head in the engine compartment, but in there i can't really hear it. Seems the engine noise is to much in there.
I can hear it best inside the car.

I can come up only with a few things, which are alternator, timmingbelt, bearings on A/C clutch, or maybe the oilpump in the engine.

Any thoughts?

I would think it would be the alternator. Try adding electrical load (headlights on high beam and rear window defogger) and see if it changes pitch. You may have a couple of bad diodes. Some charging system test equipment can tell if you have bad diodes from the amount of AC ripple coming out of the alternator.

Last edited:
Maybe a long shot, but I had the same symptoms on another Honda and replacing the drive belt was the cure. There was a TSB out on it for the V6 in my Odyssey.

Thankx guys for the comments.

First i tried a country road at considerable speed, and the whining got worse.
So i told my sheila to get out of the car, then most of the whining was gone, but still noticeable :wink: .
I tried to change the electrical load , and indeed the whinning changed in volume, typical 'riple' behaviour.
I couldn't be bothered to get me scope out, so i just stuck a used diode/regulator assy in the alternator, and it is guiet again.

Thankx for the help.

Mich

Hi Mich!!!

Hope all is well. Quite easily, just start removing belts and see if the sound changes, hopefully it will:). If both belts are off and you have the noise I would get a small diameter piece of tubing that you can place by your ear and move the other end around the engine bay. Make sure you check the A/C idler pulley too.

Possibiltiies are, in no particular order:

A/C Idler pulley
Alternator
A/C Compressor bearings
Crank Pulley (dampener)
T/Belt Idler
Water Pump
Cam
Oil Pump
Main Bearings

Well I guess they are in a particular order, bad to worse:):).

HTH,
LarryB

Thankx for the reply Larry,

I fixed it allready, sorry for not being clear in my last post.

Goodlist though ;)

Mich

It is really hard to be clear with a post IF I DO NOT READ IT LOL.........

Stay Well, Maybe you can come to Pheonix??

Regards,
LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:
It is really hard to be clear with a post IF I DO NOT READ IT LOL.........

Stay Well, Maybe you can come to Pheonix??

Regards,
LarryB

Now thats not a bad idea at all.
Wished economics would be a litlle bit better for me ;)

Thankx for helping m8;)

Back