• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Whipple 1600AR and Lysholm 1600AX

I know this has been hashed before but i am looking for someone who actually replaced a worn out Whipple 1600AR with the newer Lysholm 1600AX. Does Anyone like that exist ?

I know this has been hashed before but i am looking for someone who actually replaced a worn out Whipple 1600AR with the newer Lysholm 1600AX. Does Anyone like that exist ?
I was going to do that when i sent mine in to PSE superchargers and the owner screwed me and didnt actually give me one but instead sent mine back to me and tryed charging me for the Lysholm unit

I am not surprised. I hope that Shad and Nate are aware of this.
BTW, this thread may one day be important to a lot of people. Eventually and as i very well know, high mileage will wear the impellers and not just the bushings and bearings. There are no new impellers available for the Whipple and no complete units made. In order to avoid having to buy a complete new kit, the Lysholm 1600AX is the alternative of choice. That is why I asked if anyone, anyone at all had tried to switch with no or at most minimal modification work.

I am not surprised. I hope that Shad and Nate are aware of this.
BTW, this thread may one day be important to a lot of people. Eventually and as i very well know, high mileage will wear the impellers and not just the bushings and bearings. There are no new impellers available for the Whipple and no complete units made. In order to avoid having to buy a complete new kit, the Lysholm 1600AX is the alternative of choice. That is why I asked if anyone, anyone at all had tried to switch with no or at most minimal modification work.
After what i have learned and the cost involved $2500 im at the point if my whipple lets go im upgrading to a SOS kit or a larger compressor and will pay to have my manifold modified. I learned after my dealings with PSE that Ed the owner has tried the exact same scam on many people. I ended up with just a rebuild and so far its holding up

What all is involved in swapping the 1.6 for a SOS/Kenne Bell blower?

You can buy the Whipple 2.3L they have one that bolts in place of the smaller unit. Plus it will be more efficient.
Ken

You can buy the Whipple 2.3L they have one that bolts in place of the smaller unit. Plus it will be more efficient.
Ken

The whole object of me starting this thread is for us Kalifornians with worn Whipples, to be able to replace the SC unit itself as simply and as cheaply as possible with the newer Lysholm. This implies keeping the same basic CTSC fuel system, the precious CARB sticker (smog test every 24 months) and the smallest amount of modification if required (still unanswered by both CT Eng and D.Ambitions). This is why I asked if anyone has already done the switch.

If you go to the 2.3L whipple everything bolts back in place cost 2500.00.
I have done this 3 times and settled for the 2.9L Whipple.
Ken

I believe the way the different CTSC units bolt up to the CT intake manifold have changed throughout the different versions. I know the Autorotor has a removable top plate (the piece that sandwiches between the IM and the SC) but i'm not so sure how the older Whipple were configured.

I assume this would determine if the newer Lysholm units can be simply "bolted" on in place of the whipple.

I've also seen different snout configurations throughout the years so pulley alignment would be of concern as well.

Next time I see a whipple unit i'll do some side-by-side comparisons.

If you go to the 2.3L whipple everything bolts back in place cost 2500.00.
I have done this 3 times and settled for the 2.9L Whipple.
Ken

I know this is an old thread, but I was curious to see if anyone has figured out anything for this. My 1600 has blown and I was curious to see if the 2.3L version has the same footprint as the 1.6L blower core.

Also, can anyone confirm which Lysholm unit came with the CTSC on this older gen setup? Was it a Lysholm 1600A, 1600AR, or 1600AX? Ed at PSE seems to say that the 1600A is the one we used because they have a raised inlet, whereas the 1600AX has the full open backside of the blower.

Also, how difficult is it to modify the manifold to accept any other blower than the one we have? Maybe it's possible to create an aftercooler setup that can just bolt on where the original bolt pattern lies?

Pics attached:
Broken SC.jpg
Intake Manifold 1.jpg
Intake Manifold 2.jpg
Intake Manifold 3.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Dan

The 2.3l compressor requires different placement of the hole in the top plate. When I went to a 2.3l Whipple I had to the the following:
1. I bought a new top plate, adapter plate, and air inlet manifold from CT Engineering.
2. I then had to have a new hub made for my compressor snout, as the offset for the old style pulley was wrong. I believe the newer style pulleys started when Comptech switched over to the Autorotor compressor.
3. If you go to the 2.3l you then have to take care of the fueling and tuning.

Here is a link to an old thread that has a great deal of info for you. From your pictures it looks like you have one of the first generation Comptech manifolds, which doesn't have a removable top plate.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ptech-manifolds-Free-HP!!?p=825146#post825146

This will limit you options unless you know a decent machinist. Otherwise, you would have to find someone to trade with manifolds with.
My recommendation is to call Shad or Nate at CT-Engineering and see what advice they can offer.

Thanks for the help! I definitely am in contact with nate at CT already.

My problem is my blower may only be sourced, at this point, from PSE engineering as they do the manufacturing of blowers and whatnot. I think I may have a 1600AR? vs the 1600AX, which I believe may not work with my weld-on plate. I'm not dead set on going to a 2.3L i was just concerned that may be my only option nowadays based on availability but I believe I might actually be able to find what I need. Though both the whipple guy, and ed at PSE engineering seem to be adamant that I have a 1600A (not a 1600AX)

My other option was to create an aftercooler that would mount to my current manifold, and then I could place a replacement 1600AX blower on top of that. Just throwing around ideas, but I may have to come back with what I actually do once I do get to talk to nate and have this all figured out.

Just curious to see what you guys thought especially if you have a bunch of experience working with the different generations of Comptech Supercharger kits. Thanks!

Anyone know what the actual difference in power output is of the AX vs. the AR? Do they both run at 6psi?
Should be very similar as both as 1.6 and 6 psi. The Autorotor is said to run a little bit cooler and therefore with slightly more power.

Back