• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

White Face Guages

Hey every one. For all of those who are wondering how the new White face gauges came out. I spent about 4 hours this weekend installing them and a Carbon Fiber bezel (Science of Speed). I also changed the color of my clock and A/C. I got the transparent blue sheet from a music store. They use the sheets over lights at a club. This blue matches perfectly with the blue when the white face gauges are turned on.

If anyone is interested I can try to write up a doc on how I did this.

I will say this sure changed the look of the inside of the car. The picture does not do the color justice. I will try to put some better pics up with the lights turned on. The Blue is so Awesome.

Here are some pics of the project. http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/jim_e_erwin/lst?.dir=/Cars/NSX+Dash

Thanks
Jim

Very cool!! I likes!!
biggrin.gif
Also, I think it was great that you took the time to take pictures step by step!! You da man!!
biggrin.gif

Z

I just uploaded 4 more pics. I used a little more light. You can see the Cabon Fiber around the gauges in MVC00080. In 81 you can see the the number in blue. Pic 83 is the second look of blue with the inside in blue.

Hope you like these

Jim

Very nice little layout. How long did it take for the install of the gauge faces themselves? Did you have to remove the needle? Is the fuel the only one you have to mark your needle location?

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

well it took about 4 hours to remove the gauges to add the white face ones and to reinstall the pod. This set you dont have to remove the needles. the gauge faces just slip over top of them It is very easy.

I think I spent less then 8 hours switching all the gauge clock and A/C over to blue. It makes a really big difference. Every person that seems them think they are so awesome

Jim

Not sure if any of you noticed. I put a thin Black vinyl behind the white face gauges so the orange did not shine threw. I went to walmart and got one of those report binders with the black back. I cut this up and put over the gauges.

I will say one thing that the pics dont show. is that I made a change to cover all the back of the gauge. What I did was trim out the center of the black plastic so only part that is covered in black is the part that covers the numbers. What was happening was right around the center was getting to thick. The needle was rubbing against the white face. So I only made it one layer thick there. So the only part now that has black around it is the outer ring where the numbers are and where the orange comes from the back.

Jim

Diveboy -

I agree great post and pics. I would like to see the write up you were talking about ... even if you private me. Have you thought about adding the blue needles for the all blue look?

Originally posted by Diveboy:
Not sure if any of you noticed. I put a thin Black vinyl behind the white face gauges so the orange did not shine threw. I went to walmart and got one of those report binders with the black back. I cut this up and put over the gauges.

I will say one thing that the pics dont show. is that I made a change to cover all the back of the gauge. What I did was trim out the center of the black plastic so only part that is covered in black is the part that covers the numbers. What was happening was right around the center was getting to thick. The needle was rubbing against the white face. So I only made it one layer thick there. So the only part now that has black around it is the outer ring where the numbers are and where the orange comes from the back.

Jim

Wow.....what an ingenius idea. I was wondering how you were able to black out or remove the original gauges without removing the needles or stop pins.

You definitly need to do a write up for the DIY acrhives.

I was thinking if I was going to change the needles I would like to have the yellows off the 2002 NSX-R. I think that would make a nice contrast with the Blue. So if any one knows where I can get 6 needles please let me know.

I have not seen any blue needles. I will work on trying to make better pictures with the lights and the dash.

Jim

Has any body tried these blue needles yet. I am not seeming to get very much information back from the guys that are selling them. They talk about it being some paint and some electronics.

Can any body shed some more light on how these work.

Jim

I know I saw that. I was one of the people that payed the higher price. But that is ok. I really do like the gauges. If G2 does come up with the needles I will bring this up that I payed the more expensive price.

Thanks
Jim

Here is a copy of the e-mail I got from G2 on 7-24...

We are planning to put the needles into production some time next month.
will email you with the update, thanks!

G2
-----

I was told that these are NOT just needles with lights but are true indeglo. I have seen them for sale by others on e-bay also.

I don't know what happened with that group buy thing. The thread was outrageous.

Look around on e-bay. It seems like there are two companies that are selling them.

I have wrote G2 Motorsports twice asking about the needles. I have yet to get an email back from them.

I have been talking to the guy that won the needles on the ebay posting above and he is yet to get them. I have also been chatting with the seller. He has not been very open about the information with his product. The seller says he will get me the information that I require before I purchase the product.

I have been talking to a guy in Texas that has been very open with the information. He called me today and talked with about the product. He said he would easy give me the information that I have requested.

I have asked for.
1) A list of products in the kit
2) the install instructions in the kit
3) pics of the needles during the day closeup
4) pics of the needles at night closeup
5) pics of the kit that we buy.

It looks like what we have to do to make this kit work. Is remove the needles. Remove the orange paint from the underside of the needles. Put on the indoglow ring under the needles. Paint the underside of the needles with a color like white or blue. Then a couple of diods go into the needle. So you use your original needles.

That is the information that I have gotten so far.

Will let you know more when I get more info.

Jim

Jim --

I am suprised that the original needles are used. Every picture I have seen shows blueish needles laying on a white background. (???)

Thanks for the update and yes, please keep us up to date.

I don't understand the need to put a black out over the orange face. Why not simply remove the lights behind them? This is what I did.

Has anyone found a way to convert the odometer light to blue? Also, is there anything to paint or cover tiny bulbs with to turn them blue?

4 hours to install white face gauges? That sounds like a long time. I did the ones in my Integra in about 1-1/2. Is the cluster in the NSX all electric like that Integra or do you have to unhook a speedo cable. I had a 91 Integra that I installed gauges in that had the old fashioned cable set up.

Back