• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

White/Silver Gauge Face Install?

Does anyone have any info/recommendations for install of (non-indiglo) gauge faces like the ones offered by Science of Speed?

Mainly, it this a do-it-yourself or recommended for professional installation? I have heard conflicting reports about removing the needles from import (Japanese) gauges.

I have a set of the silver faces that I would like to see go on, just don't want to get into something that I can't handle.

Thanks everyone!

They are pretty easy, just time consuming to install. DON'T go with the type you have to remove needles. You will regret it. Or at least I know I did when I bought some for another car and realized what was actually involved with it. Never again. :mad:

Have it done by a professional with experience in removing the needles on gauges. The shop that did mine broke a needle off and had to buy a new gauge from Acura, $80.00 wholesale, needless to say he did not make any money on the job after that expense. It can happen even to the pros.

Gary

Thanks for the info so far. The ones I have required needles to be removed. I have done this twice, one was a set on my GMC Sierra, and the other was a set on a friend's Integra GSR ('95).
This friend stated that he read on some internet forum that you are not supposed to remove the needles b/c of the risk of damage. The info did not elaborate on whether the needle or the gauge was at risk. We popped a couple of the needles off (carefully) and re-installed them after the face was on. No problems- maybe the NSX gauges are similar in regards to construction...?

The Honda gauge motors are very sensitive. It is imperative that the gauge's metal post not be disturbed. The best way to remove the needle face is to grip the shaft with a set of small vise-grips and heat the needle face with a heat gun. Then, lift up on the needle very gently. It also helps to mark the shaft with a permanent marker to see if there is any movement while the needle is being removed.

best regards,
-- Chris

I like my SOS white face look. Did it myself but first time out, a lot of work. Hardest part, getting the needles to show the proper values. Also, when you turn off the power and they fall down they rest in different locations and you will need to fiddle with the stops to get them the same. Vise Grip has a needle nose plier that you wil need to grind thinner to clamp the shaft then pry off the needle. Not easy, Dan

tunapie said:
I like my SOS white face look. Did it myself but first time out, a lot of work. Hardest part, getting the needles to show the proper values. Also, when you turn off the power and they fall down they rest in different locations and you will need to fiddle with the stops to get them the same. Vise Grip has a needle nose plier that you wil need to grind thinner to clamp the shaft then pry off the needle. Not easy, Dan

Doesn't sound easy. :mad:

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I guess that I am now at the point where I have to decide to source out this job or attempt it myself. No one around here can do it, that's for sure. This town lacks in many goods and services. I probably should check with Chris @ SoS and see if they still do this and obtain a quote. However, the overachiever in me still says, "Do it!". Uhh, then again, perhaps it's the devil.

Can anyone recommend a professional shop that would "take on" the task of installing a set of SOS White Face Gauge Faces that REQUIRE the removal of the needles? I would prefer a shop in California, Arizona, or Nevada. ANY help or info would be GREATLY appreciated. I bought the gauge face kit OVER 1 year ago from SOS, and STILL have to get them put in. I would like to do this ASAP. Shawn

Back