• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who does Is the NSX more desirable with an early prod.#

I've seen some ads stating "early production number" i.e #82 or first 100 made.

Why do they do this? Do they expect the car to sell easier, or get more money?

Should there be a difference between a 3000+ production number and the first 100?

The only reason I would think of for those early numbers would be the slow speed of the assembly line at the beginning, resulting in a "better" car (assuming they spent more time doing the same job). Then on the other side, the later production numbers will have the flaws/problems of early production resolved.

Comments?

PS: the subject is messed up a bit (bad english..), and I can't edit. Should read "Is the NSX more desirable with an early prod.#?"

[This message has been edited by BITeR (edited 27 March 2003).]

[This message has been edited by BITeR (edited 27 March 2003).]

This is true. The best and most valuable number is 800134. This number would carry a substantial premium if the car was ever sold.

Originally posted by BITeR:
Why do they do this? Do they expect the car to sell easier, or get more money?

Yes.

Should there be a difference between a 3000+ production number and the first 100?

Only due to the 3000+ car being in the snap ring range and the first 2500 or so in '91 being not in range. If the snap ring and transmission case have been replaced, then it shouldn't make any difference at all.

"Is the NSX more desirable with an early prod.#?"

No. It shouldn't make any difference.

And those Canadian numbers are not particularly low, since they have a different sequence number up there. (Their numbers of MT800001 through around MT800300 were produced at the same time as the U.S. VINs of around MT000066 through around MT003300.)

It's probably his car dudie.
wink.gif

I work at a Honda assembly plant and can tell you from first hand experience...the later in a production run the better. As was stated earlier, many assembly problems and parts issues may not be resolved in the early stages of production as well as associates ability to assemble the product. I'm sure its difficult to compare mass produced cars with NSX's that are essentially hand made but there may have been parts issues with earlier cars and slightly less experienced assemblers. Just take a look at the number of TSB's by year and its clear to see that eventually any weaknesses will be improved upon continually. Having said that, since the NSX has never had a major model change (NSX-T in 95, the 3.2 liter in 97, and the cosmetic change in 03) since its introduction, this is probably irrelevant for all but the first year.

I have dealt with a lot of collectable items and I believe that extremlely low serial numbers would bring a higher price than higher ones.

I am talking about the first five to ten cars off of the assembly line and only 1991 models. I would easily pay double the current market value for the first NSX off of the assembly line (60K cash and I am sure others might pay more). I doubt that this car was ever made available for sale, as with cars such as this the manufacturing company would normally keep it for their collection.

I wouldn't pay any more for the 50th car than I would for the 1050th car, but maybe someone else would. I at one time owned a 1991 NSX with serial number: 1991, I am quite sure that this wouldn't give it any additional value, but I thought it was cool.

[This message has been edited by Carguy! (edited 28 March 2003).]

Originally posted by tjack:
I work at a Honda assembly plant and can tell you from first hand experience...the later in a production run the better.
this is probably irrelevant for all but the first year.

Actually, Honda did a remarkable job with the NSX. There were very, very few product changes needed; in fact, the main one is the window regulator change, and that wasn't done until 1993. The snap ring problem, by contrast, was due to a manufacturing problem that developed towards the end of the first model year, and didn't affect the first cars produced.

With some models, Honda intentionally introduces them in Japan (or Europe) first, and gets the "bugs" out before bringing them to the United States.

I'm not saying that you're not right, tjack, but Honda does quite a remarkable job at trying to build in quality before the first car ever rolls out of the factory. Look at how the first-year NSX took honors as the most reliable car - not just most reliable sports car, but most reliable car of all - after five years of ownership.

Originally posted by Carguy!:
I have dealt with a lot of collectable items and I believe that extremlely low serial numbers would bring a higher price than higher ones.

I am talking about the first five to ten cars off of the assembly line and only 1991 models. I would easily pay double the current market value for the first NSX off of the assembly line (60K cash and I am sure others might pay more). I doubt that this car was ever made available for sale, as with cars such as this the manufacturing company would normally keep it for their collection.

From the FAQ: "For the US VIN numbers, the first 1991 car available for sale was 000063; all lower numbers were pre-production prototypes."

Back