• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who hates paypal? Looking for some advice.

You got scammed by a seller - not Paypal....

I got scammed by a seller. I got screwed by Paypal's resolution center. Delay until there is no longer the option to file with CC company.

Hey Hac - sorry to hear you got scammed , I agree that it was the seller who was bad , paypal has rules and if you follow you should have no trouble , I got screwed for $200 last month , seller kept promising to refund me , unitl 45 days passed then it was too late...

Wil

Yep to the two guys above this post AND thats why I file with the CC right away. I am not going to let them stall me until my ability to file with the CC runs out and if you don't think pp or other companies play that game your nuts.

I just ordered some more furniture from a local place. Came with some small damage when it was delivered. I called them up they say they will order me a new coffee table. I hang up and then immediately call the cc company and cancel the charge. Good thing to as the next time I drove past the furniture store they had a going out of business sign hanging out front. Never relinquish control. As soon as you do you can kiss your refund good bye.

How do you use ebay without using paypal? :confused:

Last time I tried to sell an item, it said I *ONLY* could accept paypal as a payment option.

I contacted customer service to see if that was true....it was....so I cancelled my account.

When we post items, there's a box marked "Accept a Deposit Using PayPal". We make sure the box is not checked, and under "Accepted Payment Methods" we clearly state that we do NOT accept PayPal as payment. Not only do we have a trust issue with PayPal, but along with the Ebay fees, PayPal takes a hefty cut out of the payments the customers send to us. I don't remember the percentage, but it was higher than what the credit card companies charge. Ridiculous.

I use paypal all the time to buy stuff and receive payments. I have not run into any problems in 7 + years. Most of the payments I receive are not for EBay items. Buying things out side of Ebay after they have already been sold is a big No No it's a standard scam.

I just wish I could use paypal more places like actual stores.

This is exactly what happen. Ebay auction ended, I was the 2nd in line and lost the auction to a higher bidder, seller contacted me a few days later saying the high bidder flaked out and he will opt for my bid, like a second chance. So if i wanted to item, just send payment via paypal to his account and he will ship item out...

damit....I got scammed, and I was an IT Manager for a very large bank, always warning people about internet scams. Damn.

When we post items, there's a box marked "Accept a Deposit Using PayPal". We make sure the box is not checked, and under "Accepted Payment Methods" we clearly state that we do NOT accept PayPal as payment. Not only do we have a trust issue with PayPal, but along with the Ebay fees, PayPal takes a hefty cut out of the payments the customers send to us. I don't remember the percentage, but it was higher than what the credit card companies charge. Ridiculous.

I don't think that option exists any longer.

The only way PayPal gets better and cleans up its act, is the good old fashioned American way........."SOME COMPETITION!"

Some internet smartness is needed here.

If an eBay seller contacts you as the 2nd high bidder to an auction to sell you the goods, insist the seller set up another auction, and you'll immediately buy the auction at the agreed upon price. This protects you as the buyer!

I have done this a couple of times when a seller contacted me, never had a problem.

Yes PayPal sucks, yada yada yada, but this one is fully on you, as the buyer to protect yourself. PayPal nor the government is going to protect us from our own stupidity. If you work around the system, make sure the work-around is to your benefit, not the seller's. Otherwise you get bit, and you'll get few sympathies.

Common sense, ain't so common, it seems.

Last edited:
The newest ebay scam from a sellers point of view is to outbid the highest bidder than offer a 2nd chance to the highest bidder. I have had this happen to me 2x in the last month on Lutron switches. I don't know it's what actually happened but I have a pretty good suspicion that's what happened.

The newest ebay scam from a sellers point of view is to outbid the highest bidder than offer a 2nd chance to the highest bidder. I have had this happen to me 2x in the last month on Lutron switches. I don't know it's what actually happened but I have a pretty good suspicion that's what happened.

Can you explain this scam more Steve? Does the seller outbid the highest bidder? How does this scam work?

Can you explain this scam more Steve? Does the seller outbid the highest bidder? How does this scam work?

I needed some pella hand cranks. They are REALLY expensive if you get them from Pella and take weeks to come in. I went on ebay. Guy has four of them up for auction. I place a bid of 50 dollars. They were at ~10 dollars with me as the high bidder up to the very last minute. Although I was willing to pay $50 I would have won them at $10 had no one else bid. In an effort to find out what my max bid is, Just before the auction ends someone with close to zero feedback bids multiple times thus showing what was the max amount I was willing to pay, the 50 dollars. Someone who bids this many times right near the end isn't going to bid and then not buy. The bidder with near zero feedback wins the auction at 51 dollars. He never intends to pay as it is either the seller or a sellers friend. Then the seller emails me and asks if I want to buy them for 50 bucks instead of the 11 bucks my high bid was. I bought them as even at 50 bucks they are still cheap.

They are at the powder coaters now with all the other window hardware from my lake house.

Another great tip. Instead of buying all new hardware while remodeling my lake house I sent it all out and had it powder coated. It looks awesome. Baldwin door knobs are 100-300 bucks each. Having a Baldwin door knob powder coated, 5 bucks.:biggrin:

I needed some pella hand cranks. They are REALLY expensive if you get them from Pella and take weeks to come in. I went on ebay. Guy has four of them up for auction. I place a bid of 50 dollars. They were at ~10 dollars with me as the high bidder up to the very last minute. Although I was willing to pay $50 I would have won them at $10 had no one else bid. In an effort to find out what my max bid is, Just before the auction ends someone with close to zero feedback bids multiple times thus showing what was the max amount I was willing to pay, the 50 dollars. Someone who bids this many times right near the end isn't going to bid and then not buy. The bidder with near zero feedback wins the auction at 51 dollars. He never intends to pay as it is either the seller or a sellers friend. Then the seller emails me and asks if I want to buy them for 50 bucks instead of the 11 bucks my high bid was. I bought them as even at 50 bucks they are still cheap.

They are at the powder coaters now with all the other window hardware from my lake house.

Another great tip. Instead of buying all new hardware while remodeling my lake house I sent it all out and had it powder coated. It looks awesome. Baldwin door knobs are 100-300 bucks each. Having a Baldwin door knob powder coated, 5 bucks.:biggrin:

This is a big reason why I ALWAYS bid at the last moment, if I can be in front of the computer. This was an expensive lesson I learned early on. In fact, there is a business out there that will snipe an auction at the last second for you if you can't be there at the right time.
When I start my website to compete with eBay, the rule will be that the auctions will end 15 minutes after the last bid, even if time is officially up. This takes away the reason/incentive to snipe, nets more for the seller, and makes everything more auction-like.

What was the subject again? Oh, yeah. Paypal sux.

Last edited:
This is a big reason why I ALWAYS bid at the last moment, if I can be in front of the computer. This was an expensive lesson I learned early on. In fact, there is a business out there that will snipe an auction at the last second for you if you can't be there at the right time.
When I start my website to compete with eBay, the rule will be that the auctions will end 15 minutes after the last bid, even if time is officially up. This takes away the reason/incentive to snipe, nets more for the seller, and makes everything more auction-like.

I do all my bidding on eBay with PhantomBidder, which auto-bids for me with seconds to go. I recommend it for anyone who's serious about winning eBay auctions.

As for your idea of auction extensions, it actually doesn't work. Yahoo! Auctions tried this, and look how well it worked out for them. There are programmatic ways to "snipe" those style auctions as well, and they're much more annoying than simply placing a late bid. If you're looking for a way to alienate your buyers, auction extensions is the way to do it.

What was the subject again? Oh, yeah. Paypal sux.

That's how liquidation.com works. If you bid near the end it extends the auction.

Having spent a lot of time at auctions as a kid I have one observation about auctions which has always stuck with me. It's not an auction unless someone is getting screwed.

I do all my bidding on eBay with PhantomBidder, which auto-bids for me with seconds to go. I recommend it for anyone who's serious about winning eBay auctions.

As for your idea of auction extensions, it actually doesn't work. Yahoo! Auctions tried this, and look how well it worked out for them. There are programmatic ways to "snipe" those style auctions as well, and they're much more annoying than simply placing a late bid. If you're looking for a way to alienate your buyers, auction extensions is the way to do it.

I agree. I don't like the idea of auction extensions either. In fact I hate the idea and wouldn't use a service that extended auctions.

Ah, well ... it was a thought. Just not my best.:redface:
Thanks, flaminio. Phantombidder -- I'll have to take my own advice and try it.

I just wanted to throw a little something out there for you guys. Im 23 years old and the last 5-6 years of my life I have used paypal every day / ebay / online $ dealing. I know almost everything there is too know about paypal / scams / chargebacks / dealing with scammers / getting your $ back / making sure your account doesn't get locked or limited.

I can help ANYONE who needs it or if anyone has ANY questions at all dont hesitate to contact me . In this case - Im not sure what you have done so far - but file a chargeback with your credit card company. If it is american express - you will 100% win. Just a heads up for anyone on here that spends money online - GET AN AMERICAN EXPRESS CARD AND ALWAYS PAY WITH IT!! You will win 100% of your disputes. For others if you are in any kind of business.. NEVER accept american express!! Their are many loopholes with this card that mastercard/visa do not support. Paypal can't do anything because they are just the middlemen. I have filed over $20,000 in chargebacks over the past 4 years from scammers / fradulent users trying to take back / not give what I buy for my business.

Like I said, ill be more then happy to answer any questions if I can.

OK, so I am still holding on to this grudge.

Today, I agreed to buy some small item from the NSXprime marketplace. I was going to pay for it through my CC and paypal as normal. Apparently, this is no longer an option?! It now must be an'echeck' and come from my bank account. The one on file is no longer active, and I am not inclined to update it.

So, what other options are there for online transfer? I'll go back to checks in the mail if I need to, but I am hoping there is a better option.

If you get contacted by the seller on an item you lost out bidding on, ask the seller to repost the auction with a Buy-It-Now at the price offered and then buy it. You'll be covered by eBay and PayPal protection. If they refuse, you know something's not right.

I've used Paypal for buying and selling things on Ebay for quite a while now and have always had pretty good luck. I'm just curious what the seller that screwed you had for feedback on Ebay. Did he have any feedback at all? Another thing is that when you get a second chance offer it's usually through Ebay. You could have suggested that to the seller to make it official. I hope you get your money back.

Today, I agreed to buy some small item from the NSXprime marketplace. I was going to pay for it through my CC and paypal as normal. Apparently, this is no longer an option?! It now must be an'echeck' and come from my bank account.

Was it PayPal that stopped your payment? You can even list the payment as a "gift" and not be charged their fee (you had better know or have reason to trust the seller before you do this). I don't understand why you couldn't use PayPal????

Back