• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who is investing in gold?

I'm curious to see how many prime members are investing in gold and what there outlook for it is. I have been investing in GLD and GOLDX since october, and last month decided to go in really heavy, and now have over 70% of my portfolio invested in it. I personally think it is going to be the next bubble and we are at the bottom. My intial outlook was that it could hit $700 by the end of May, but seeing that it hit $650 today it could come a lot sooner.

I have been doing copper, PD, PCU... with the increased Asia demand, specifically China.. has been driving most metal resources up,..catch em on the cycle and you can do good..I have done very well in the past 6 months, with either options or straight up...

robr said:
How can we be at the bottom? The bottom was one year ago when it was at 420.

my sentiments as well.

I watch the Asian markets close..(prior day) and other indicators..not a crystal ball, helps to provide some insight to what our market will do....and yesterday was a good buy day, and today a good sell!

I think oil stocks are a safer bet right for the next quarter or so. After that, I'll have to wait and see but banking related stocks are looking good so far (commerical, brokerage focused).

apamin said:
I'm curious to see how many prime members are investing in gold and what there outlook for it is. I have been investing in GLD and GOLDX since october, and last month decided to go in really heavy, and now have over 70% of my portfolio invested in it.

I have some gold, and am happy with its performance as of late, but frankly I think it is foolhardy to invest 70% of one's portfolio in any one thing. Diversification is not just a river in Egypt, you know...

flaminio said:
I have some gold, and am happy with its performance as of late, but frankly I think it is foolhardy to invest 70% of one's portfolio in any one thing. Diversification is not just a river in Egypt, you know...

I agree. 70% seems heavy in one sector. I find asian investment with a good outlook with lots of money going into that part of the world. My asian index fund has been doing well for the last several months.
As of this week, I am not just a Honda owner. I now own Honda.

Actually I just sold my two Gold structured investments I had in the portfolio (they also leveraged on the gains) with a +25% net from expenses.

I think it may go up more but I would hardly say we are at the bottom... 70% sounds a bit too much: but as we all know, luck is the key! :)

I wish I has 70% instead of 3% of my portfolio in it with the performance I got...

Good luck!

robr said:
How can we be at the bottom? The bottom was one year ago when it was at 420.

I feel it still has a long way to go considering that gold hit over $850 an ounce in 1980 which adjusted for inflation is approx. $2000.

apamin said:
I feel it still has a long way to go considering that gold hit over $850 an ounce in 1980 which adjusted for inflation is approx. $2000.

Repeat after me: "Past performance is not indicative of future results".

Don't be glad until you actually sell it and realize the profits :).

Im in it super cheap and have solid stops in place to scale out at different levels. Either way I am good and will continue to adjust them moving forward. The patern looks great at the moment, but things could change and I will be out in a heart beat.

Back