• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who makes the best Intake?

Who makes the best the best intake for the NSX? I'm leaning towards the Comptech Carbon Fiber one, does anyone have it on their car? Did it help much in performance? How does it sound?

If you have any others in mind let me know, thanks alot.

[This message has been edited by PUREVIL (edited 08 September 2000).]

I would choose the Gruppe M's Carbon fiber air intake over the comptech one and the ARC air intake is very good quality too. I love the M's intake has a good throaty sound. Justin, what sell me yours?
smile.gif
However, I like the look of the ARC more. I doubt these airintake will give you any obvious difference, if you want some real gain, I would recommand cold air intake.

Originally posted by PUREVIL:
Who makes the best the best intake for the NSX? I'm leaning towards the Comptech Carbon Fiber one, does anyone have it on their car? Did it help much in performance? How does it sound?

If you have any others in mind let me know, thanks alot.

[This message has been edited by PUREVIL (edited 08 September 2000).]

I like the RM intake myself.. simple, inexpensive, easy to clean, and sounds great.. check out http://www.rmnsx.com

-mike http://www.blazen.com/mike/nsx/

------------------
idrc9257.jpg

Simple, go with the Gruppe M's and don't even think about anything else!! I got it and am extremely happy. Minor performance increase, it feels a little quicker if that but the sound would be worth the money alone. No other intake sounds as good.

nsxtasy said:
I think resurrecting a topic that had been dead for over 45 months must be an NSXprime record!

At least he used the SEARCH:D

But realistically, it is just a personal matter, as they make no real performance differences. I have both the K&N cone filter and the Comptech Cold Air Box. Prefer the latter, but would just do stock if I had to do it all over again for a street car, but at the time the K&N was a lot cheaper than a non stock exhaust:D

From what I have seen and read, an aftermarket intake makes absolutely NO more HP than the Stock intake for the NSX.

Why would you waste your money on it? I don't understand that one.

The Cantrell AIS has also not shown any improvement in power, but it does put your engine at risk if it is raining hard.

I mean, I guess they look cool, but I just don't see the point in spending the cash on the intake.

Maybe it is just me...

I wonder how much the cantrell really puts the motor at risk. I have one on mine and haven't really thought much about it. The oem setup has a similar snorkel (admittedly not as large or direct). I had Dinan's cold air unit on my M3 and that thing put the filter almost inside of the brake cooling duct! The only thing i ever worried about there was avoiding deep puddles.

I thought the point of the scoop was the best way to change the sound for the money? I seem to remember someone saying if you want an exhaust for the sound, just get this instead... If I remember right... appx $300 is a better value than $800+ if you just want some added noise :)

FYI, Dali also has scoop availible similar to the Cantrell
http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=874

And as far as getting sucking water into the engine, the scoop on the side of the car where the intake draws its air from is 15 inches off the ground (my car is slightly lowered); how does that relate to where most aftermarket CAIs are installed? I thought they were pretty low, so perhaps the NSX is a little better off? Perhaps being on the side of the car also means its less likely to be splashed? Just some thoughts...

NetViper said:
From what I have seen and read, an aftermarket intake makes absolutely NO more HP than the Stock intake for the NSX.

The Cantrell AIS has also not shown any improvement in power, but it does put your engine at risk if it is raining hard.

I mean, I guess they look cool, but I just don't see the point in spending the cash on the intake.

Maybe it is just me...

FYI,

Sometimes absolute HP numbers is not what you are looking for. On my 97 swapping the filter to a K&N and swapping the intake for the Dali actually boosted a bit of HP and also made the engine response better.

The engine breathes a bit better so it's able to climb the revs faster, note that this only applies to WOT situations like the ones that you are likely to experience at the track.

For street driving the intake/filter combo ads a bit more sound to the otherwise quiet engine.

Ken

Based on my dyno runs.. my exposed CAI picks up a few HP on the 1st run but will drop every other run consistently so I only get one good run and the rest down hill due to heat soak on 2 separate occasions before muffler and after muffler.

In japan there is an updated Cantrell air intake made in CF..

I would love to try the Gruppe M or the ARC intake.. At the end of the day you get what you pay for I learned with the Gruppe M muffler there is a reason why they charge what they charge..

Zanardi 0 said:
------------------------------------------------------------------
complete comptech cold air system / Dali CF connestor and cantrell air induction!!!!!!

I would put money on this being the best possible set-up. I have the CAI, and it does sound great, and cold air is always better air.

I just bought the Cantrell AIS through the SOS group buy program. Great price and from what I hear an unreal deal. Need 1 more person. I'm not impressed with the RM racing, the Mugen is way too much $$, I liked the comptech but the price for the carbon fibre one is over $800 and I refuse to purchase thru DALI so the AIS is now my intake of choice :smile:

NetViper said:

Maybe it is just me...
Looks can be a priority for some of us.

Is a widebody or sideskirts or aftermarket wings etc.. functional for normal street driving? Perhaps not. But, if money isn't the issue......

Back