• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who's Buying NSX 2.0

Guys, now that we have some details on the New NSX, who is the first within the NSXCC to buy one?. Based on the announced US pricing we can expect to pay between $175K-$200K in Canada.

Paul & Bruno you both owe me a Beer?

Bram

The price was an unpleasant surprise, and I'm now not sure what to do. I know that a couple of other people in/near the lower mainland who have a deposit on the new car are also questioning their decision. I put aside $175k for this car, hoping it would come in around $150k. If I do decide to purchase this car, I will definitely have to either sell my NSX or trade it in. That is a lot of money for a toy. Even if it is a beautiful toy. I guess I have a few months to decide, in which case I'll probably put my car up for sale in the spring/summer, and if it doesn't sell, use as a trade-in.

Or, I can save a ton of money and buy the new Miata. I've always wanted a Miata and the new one looks really nice.

Just buy a used MP4-12C instead, or an R8..

But....after seeing pics and vids of that new Ford GT, Id skip'em all and get that.

Last edited:
A used Gallardo is looking really good to me right now.

I have it on very good word that less than 50 NSX's are coming into Canada (this from an exec). Either way this car will be very exclusive considering the price point and very limited quantities.

The exec did say that there are a number of deposits already held (Canada-wide) and that not every dealer will get one. He knows of dealer principals trying to book 1 just to get traffic in the doors.

I have it on very good word that less than 50 NSX's are coming into Canada (this from an exec). Either way this car will be very exclusive considering the price point and very limited quantities.

The exec did say that there are a number of deposits already held (Canada-wide) and that not every dealer will get one. He knows of dealer principals trying to book 1 just to get traffic in the doors.

There doesn't seem to be any consistency in how orders are being handled in N. America. My Acura dealer is putting people on waitlist (I'm #1 on the list :)), but they are not taking deposits. I hear other dealers are taking deposit and even going as far as signing purchase orders. But these deposit/orders are with Dealers (not with Honda, as in UK), and who knows which dealer will get a car.

Anyway, the price tag is a bit over what I was expecting (under $150k CAD), so I have a few months to decide.

That is only a fraction of what sold in Canada back in 1991.
Too much unknown at this point to put a deposit down

That is only a fraction of what sold in Canada back in 1991.
Too much unknown at this point to put a deposit down

I know so it threw me for a surprise considering it will be U.S. made so I presumed they would at least match the 1991 quantities etc. However, you have to wonder if Acura/Honda feels a bit burnt from that experience as I remember the initial year or two were strong sales then dealers had cars sitting on lots during 93/94.

The deposits being held are what he called free will deposits (shows intent) so I presume its up to the buyers to pony up once the dealer calls them back?

Interesting to see what the final MSRP will be and how many actually come into Canada. I would think that if you are like JD Cross and HKF who got to their dealers first and spoke to the principals at each and signed with deposits then they will probably get theirs.

Last edited:
As long as the deposits are refundable, then there isn't much to lose. Since the car officially didn't exist until this week, and Honda still hasn't released an official price, the dealers were basically on their own as to how to handle those looking to buy.

For my dealer, the deposit is basically to secure a spot on the wait list, and is refundable if the final specs of the car don't meet my approval. And since this dealer is one of the largest in Western Canada (as far as volume, and more importantly the volume of previous NSX sales) it is a good bet that they will get a significant allocation of Canadian NSXs. Other dealers may take a more wait-and-see approach, or even a highest-bidder approach.

ultimately, the demand of the car will determine how Honda Canada and the individual dealers react. Worst case scenario is that demand is lower than expected and Honda has no problem supplying enough cars to Canada since there are so few orders. More likely is that there will be an initial huge demand so that the wait will be up to a year or more, before demand recedes.

Last edited:
My understanding with respect to NSX allocation in Canada, is based on two things:
- Current Dealership sales volume
- Dealership that have upgraded their facilities to facilated "Acura Concierge" type sales & service.

Any dealer can take your deposit, this means nothing if they don't fulfill these requirements.

Good luck.
Bram

"clutches" are phasing out. If you can get a paddle shift with rev-matching at less than 60 millisecond up and down 9-speeds, you've got a huge race advantage, and most exotics now will be doing this.
(actually to be 100% accurate - there are 2 clutches in these cars: one for upshifts and one for downshifts, married together in one transmission by hydraulics)

Don't get me wrong as I fully support Honda for all their efforts in building the new NSX. For that kind of money though, I can buy 7 used NSX's ... one for each day of the week.
I would get a Black , Red, Yellow, Blue, Silver, Imola Orange and a Green one.

Last edited:
I was also expecting/hoping for some incentive pricing for the initial introductory years. Given the very weak C$ from a US$ fx perspective at the moment (as compared to a dollar at par not so very long ago), it will be interesting to see whether Honda locks into this exchange rate to set the Canadian MSRP. Given the manufacture of version 2 in OHIO I don't believe that there should be any incremental duties payable when sold in Canada. Therefore I will be most interested in the price differential between the US and Canadian list prices. A Canadian base model MSRP significantly exceeding C$185,000 before taxes as compared to the quoted US$155,000 would probably be a non-starter for me.

Even if I were tempted to liberate the kind of coin necessary to buy NSX 2.0 (so what if I have to hit the kid's college fund and my retirement funds -- LOL), I don't think I'd do it. Being the dinosaur I am, I want a manual transmission and still prefer analog as opposed to digital experiences. So, it is an easy choice for me.

What I'm really disappointed about is that Honda didn't see fit to produce a true (read: non-hybrid, rwd, available with a manual transmission) sports car priced for mere mortals. Had Honda updated the venerable NSX with a body similar to NSX 2.0, threw in a traditional drivetrain generating 350-400 hp with manual transmission option and priced it somewhere between US$ 50-65K, that is something I would seriously consider. A Honda/Acura version of the Porsche Cayman S, if you please. I think that there is a market for something like that as opposed to a halo car that will sell in the hundreds of units.

Good thing my /94 NSX only has 48,000 miles on it -- should be good for at least another 20 years.

Jeff, I agree with you on some points, however what you describe as a traditional power train will appear as the Honda S2000 replacement. This car will also hit the price points between $60-$75k.
Based on the technology deployed in the NSX 2.0 I am not surprise that is start @$150k+, the other cars that have this type of technology are the 918, P1 and La F, what are the price point of these babies ?.....more than $200k.

I just can't wait to drive it and read the real life test and driving reviews.

Bram

Bram, I'm sure NSX 2.0 will be a blast to drive and will compete well with the other supercars. I have no issue with the price point of the new NSX when compared to the cars you mention. I guess what I am really saying is that I want Honda to build a slightly less claustrophobic and better Cayman S for Honda money, not Porsche money!

I cannot see the vast majority of current owners buying one. At least the NSXPRIME crowd. Most people on this site are price conscious of staying at the host hotel for NSXPO or other events, never mind buying what will likely be a $200k car with taxes in up here. Dave's idea of a used R8 is interesting, but new Caymans are lapping faster than V10 R8's. Technology is moving on. I think the NSX 2.0 will be cross shopped with 911 TTs, F388s and British metal. Sure it's 1/2 - 2/3 the price of the F1 companies' cars, but I doubt we'll see many at the next few XPO's.

Interesting assessment of the prime market. I think the intended buyers are guys who are not currently in an Nsx since one of the old nsx's selling points is "affordable exotic". GTR owners seem interested since the price is very close to current R35 prices and they tend to like tech-laden cars.

Cayman GT4, hubba hubba hubba

Yup yup. Makes everything else extraneous. Buying something else based on $ and performance is stooopid.
I hate that Porsche did that. But it had to be done.

I'm waiting to see what the new NSX brings with it. Senna edition? Type R? Convertible?

Back