• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

why almost everyone was wrong about acura nsx

It's so ironic that the NC1 fell into the same journalistic trap that the NA1 did only a few years in. I'd imagine that in 20 years were going to see articles talking about the folk hero NC1 and how amazing of a car it was for it's time and still is.

The NA2 was basically shunned at the end of it's life as being too slow, too old, not enough X over and over. And then you have the biggest YT car vlogger ever saying it's possibly the best drivers car ever. History does like to repeat itself.

I think the Type S will always hold its value due to purists and it being rare. But just because one generation becomes valuable dose not guarantee the following generations will. Look at the Supra, Ae86, RX7.

I think the NC1’s biggest issue was it didn’t stand out from the crowd of look alike cars like the NA1/NA2 did.

Overtime people want the unique ones. Base model anything rarely holds its value long term.

I respectfully disagree, @DRIFTER. Over time, I think the Type S will be derided as a weak last model year of the NC1; it will be the 2018-2021 models that will be seen as the best expression of the NC1 platform.

In terms of exclusivity, only the 2017 NSX sold more units than the 2022. The 2022 was also significantly less expensive in terms of sticker price than similarly-equipped cars from any other model year. Aesthetically, opinions obviously vary but the fact that the 2022 was not universally seen as visually improved means the same polarization will continue into the future. The so-called performance improvements for the 2022 were marginal (at best!), meaning the car isn't really worthy of the Type S label. And over time these limitations will only become more apparent, leading collectors to conclude a 2022 model isn't actually worth any price premium over the others.

Of course I could be wrong about all of that. The collecting public could be so ignorant that all they look at is the "xxx/350" plaque on the engine cover and conclude because of that the car is actually more valuable than the facts would otherwise indicate. Let's come back to this thread in a decade or two and see!

Kind of reminds me of the 91-2001 NSXs vs the last 2002-2005 NSXs. I think the differences are greater than with the 2017-2021 NC1s vs 2022 NC1s. As you note DJ Iceman time will tell.

Every time I drive my car I am reminded how much fun it is to drive. I own it because of how well it was designed and how reliable it is. While there are those who do not like the fact that the car is a hybrid, it is this unique differentiation that separates our cars from the rest Of the pack.

Our cars are members of a very exclusive club where our peers are the Porsche 918, Ferrari and now the Arturo from MC. The Arturo is a less sophisticated hybrid Knockoff. I think they missed the boat.

Even the upcoming Corvette hybrid which is a better than the Arturo still uses a pushrod V8 to save money. Had they offered the Z06 in a hybrid version that would be a home run.

I agree with you Drmanny3

I guess it depends on the longevity of the highly complex gadgets the car is built with long after its production stops. It’s definitely a different experience driving the e cars. Long after it’s no longer the fastest, or innovative, and parts become harder to find, dose it still offer the experience it was designed around? I guess that’s for the market to decide.

It will be interesting coming back to this topic in 20+ years when we’re all riding in fission powered AI E-cars.

I had the opportunity to meet with the engineering group initially challenged to build a replacement for the 2005 NSX Way back in the early 2000s. I recall being told that the initial NSX was designed as a 15 year car, meaning that it could be driven for 15 years like any ordinary car and be expected to hold together. That is a statement of reliability that is unique to Honda.

I suspect that is a part of the DNA associated with Honda. The NC1 was again meant as a Halo car for Honda/Acura. I believe from my personal experience as well as hearing from others, that our cars will hold up well Over the long run. The key is preventative maintenanc.

Kind of reminds me of the 91-2001 NSXs vs the last 2002-2005 NSXs. I think the differences are greater than with the 2017-2021 NC1s vs 2022 NC1s. As you note DJ Iceman time will tell.

Every time I drive my car I am reminded how much fun it is to drive. I own it because of how well it was designed and how reliable it is. While there are those who do not like the fact that the car is a hybrid, it is this unique differentiation that separates our cars from the rest Of the pack.

Our cars are members of a very exclusive club where our peers are the Porsche 918, Ferrari and now the Arturo from MC. The Arturo is a less sophisticated hybrid Knockoff. I think they missed the boat.

Even the upcoming Corvette hybrid which is a better than the Arturo still uses a pushrod V8 to save money. Had they offered the Z06 in a hybrid version that would be a home run.
I wouldn't want to be in a category with the Artura, McLackofQuality is it's own legend. That car is doomed as folks want to stack it against the 296, which is like 2 levels higher than it on power and price.

If the E-Ray is as good as they say it is going to set the bar for value. GM has been testing it against the NC1 for a while now.

Sounds like GM may be supplying new tec batteries for Hondas future E cars.

I’m curious how Teslas new battery’s are going to stack against them.

The E-Ray is a great performer. GM kept the price down by going with the pushrod engine. Where as the Flat plain crank V8 is one of the best engines GM has built for the Corvette short some of the early problems. Perhaps they are saving it for an upgrade after the E-Ray gets tired. As for looks, I do not like the busy rear end of the car.

While the Ferrari 296 is a fast car for sure. The 296 misses the boat by not having motors in the front. It becomes a fast rear drive vehicle.

Given how inexpensive our cars are with 3 motors, there is not much out there that packages the technology so well. The first company that comes out with a $250k four wheel all electric good looking sports car with appropriate software will own the marketplace.

Imagine the Tesla sports car that has independently driven 4 wheels. Tesla has stopped taking orders for the 1000 first edition cars. The requirement is to put $50,000 cash now to reserve the regular version, a car that is still probably 2 to 3 years out

Last edited:
Honestly I think It looks better then the NC1 it’s substantially cheaper too. Like what $60K ish. I wish the ERay went with the more aggressive Z06 body style. But that’s what the aftermarket is for. I imagine they went with the pushrod for value to performance. I feel like the Corvette for the most part built its reputation on that.

I really liked my cousins new Stingray. It’s got a lot of great lifestyle features, rides, and handles beautifully. There will always be something that out does current offerings. Also why I don’t see your standard NC1 aging well. But that’s not for me to decide.

Last edited:
The type S will always hold a special place, because the manufacturer made it so....
Given the smallish total sample size of the NC1, and the very strong and getting stronger JDM buyer pool as those folks age into wealth, I think the supply demand curve will work in it's favor..
On the other hand try getting a desirable spec C8 for msrp or lower..
I like the international effort that went into the NC1...and taking the PMC tour really did increase my appreciation and trust in the product.

So you can get an E-Ray at MSRP you just have to register it and sign a waiver you won’t sell it for a year. There are dealers out there that will sell them at MSRP.

There are dealers that may tell you they will..and then there is the transaction day..
From my general reading on various forums across differing makes I would guess there are 20 ish % of honest msrp dealers of hot potato cars...but you have to be extremely lucky/timely to get their allocation..

The E-Ray is a great performer. GM kept the price down by going with the pushrod engine. Where as the Flat plain crank V8 is one of the best engines GM has built for the Corvette short some of the early problems. Perhaps they are saving it for an upgrade after the E-Ray gets tired. As for looks, I do not like the busy rear end of the car.

While the Ferrari 296 is a fast car for sure. The 296 misses the boat by not having motors in the front. It becomes a fast rear drive vehicle.

Given how inexpensive our cars are with 3 motors, there is not much out there that packages the technology so well. The first company that comes out with a $250k four wheel all electric good looking sports car with appropriate software will own the marketplace.

Imagine the Tesla sports car that has independently driven 4 wheels. Tesla has stopped taking orders for the 1000 first edition cars. The requirement is to put $50,000 cash now to reserve the regular version, a car that is still probably 2 to 3 years out
The 296 misses no boat except for the usual Quality boat. Demand for that car is nuts. Totally fun to drive, crazy fast, looks cool and then some, sounds better than their turbo V8s. While I agree there is logic to adding ePower up front, the 296 would then completely poison the SF90 market. Ferrari has done super well selling mid-engine RWD only for decades so the 296 provides a replacement to the 458/488/F8 series.

Fun facts on McLaren Artura: https://www.caranddriver.com/mclaren/artura (starting at $237K or $246K depending on which page of the article you believe)
and then there's this just for fun... "Go SheBear" is not the meme I think they are looking for... :cool:

Artura means “she-bear” (from Proto-Celtic “*artos” = bear). It is as well a combination of “eagle” (from Old Norse “ari/ǫrn”) and “Thor” (the God of Thunder). Besides, Artura means “guardian of the bear” (from ancient Greek “árktos/ᾰ̓́ρκτος” = bear + “oûros/οὖρος” = guardian)

Honestly I think It looks better then the NC1 it’s substantially cheaper too. Like what $60K ish. I wish the ERay went with the more aggressive Z06 body style. But that’s what the aftermarket is for. I imagine they went with the pushrod for value to performance. I feel like the Corvette for the most part built its reputation on that.

I really liked my cousins new Stingray. It’s got a lot of great lifestyle features, rides, and handles beautifully. There will always be something that out does current offerings. Also why I don’t see your standard NC1 aging well. But that’s not for me to decide.
I think you are incorrect about the Eray corvette. It is the Z06 body, just has different appearance colors, same wide body. Second, its MSRP is around $100+k before options. Again Corvette will sell everything they can, which always results in a depreciating car. Another way to consider the Corvette in any of its versions is that it forces others to differentiate themselves which benefits all customers.

The C8’s do drive great and I like the side profile but the rear is just nasty and they are everywhere. Depreciation will not be kind to them as time passes.

If anyone has perused the corvetteforum.com, that person would see the myriad of issues that owners of C8s are having with them. As a former 2-time Corvette owner, I understand why. GM has no interest in fixing components. It appears to be less expensive for them to have the dealers continually replace failed parts with the exact same parts. Does anyone think this is the same with Lexus/Toyota or Honda?
My advice is that if you want to keep a sportscar for more than four or five years, skip the Corvette.

yep there are 3 C8's( soon to be 4) in my little development..but the last one is a Zed6 , I will have to get a spin in that crazy thing...

Back