• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why I am selling my cherished NSX

Yes, it’s true. After owning my 1991 NSX for almost twenty years, I have decided to sell it.

The reason I bought my NSX was to drive it, primarily in HPDE drivers schools, as well as on trips and on special occasions. I didn’t buy it just for the pride of ownership, or to have a “garage queen” to look at.

Lately, though, I find that I’ve been driving it less and less, to the extent that I’ve only been taking it out once or twice a year, other than trips to the dealer to have maintenance performed. That just isn’t enough to justify the cost of ownership – especially since I’ve been so fastidious about doing everything possible to maintain it problem-free at all times. Besides, I could use the money I have tied up in it. So I have decided to sell the car.

I won’t be leaving the NSX community, as I will continue to post here and attend NSX Club of America events, and to stay in touch with the many NSX friends I have made over the years. I’ll just be doing so without actually owning my NSX any more.

The good news is, some lucky person is going to get an absolutely pristine “no issues” NSX which can be enjoyed immediately, and requires nothing in the way of maintenance or work on the car.

It's a fantastic car, and I consider myself truly fortunate to have owned it all these years.

(Yes, I am serious.)

Last edited:
There was an Earthquake here in Ottawa Wednesday. I just felt another one after reading this. The foundation of my NSX life is shaking! It can't be...

Last edited:
Don't be too surprised, not many people owned a car for 20 yrs., no matter how great that car is. The fact that Nsxtasy have the NSX for that long is a caused for celebration!

I'll help take up the slack...had mine for 10 and a half years now. :smile: But then I tend to hang on to cars. In my world, if it ain't broke, no reason to get rid of it. Don't care much if something newer and faster has come along. Heck I had my Integra for 17 years before finally getting rid of it. :redface:

Good luck with the sale, and thanks for informative posts on prime over the years! :smile:

vader.jpg

Sad news, but I understand. I think about selling mine, for much the same reason: I just don't get a chance to drive it enough. I'm in a bit of an afterglow right now because I had a nice trip through the desert last week, but truth be told weeks and weeks go by without it leaving the garage. It definitely won't leave my clutches until after NSXPO 2010, but after that, who knows?

End of the day, it's just a car. The greatest car in the history of car-kind, but still only a car.

Man.... i'm just :eek::eek::eek::eek: no words...

but i know for sure that that decision of yours was thought to the moon and back..

at least you'll have all of your memories....those stay forever :wink:

Nuno

Ken going front drive only:eek: Well as you said your nsx has been a wonderful tool for ehancing your life with track events and the nsxca.If you replace it with another midengine car ..I want to know which.

Atleast sell it AFTER NSXPO 2010, in vegas One last trip, go out with a Bang!!

you'll regret it and you know it.

then your gonna start buying them left and right and never get that feeling back. Dont do it man.

God knows you love that car, dont put it to bed yet.

this message is from your car I can talk to cars I am also know as the
"car whisperer"

your car says :
Master you have treated me so well, and I in return have never failed you,
you paid for my love and I gave you my ALL. you clean me,
you rub my leather will joy, we love the same music,
you know how to push my buttons,
my little spot in your garage is so nice and cozy.
please oh please dont put me to bed.
I am scared of the loney world that you have sheilded me from.
Oh oh master let me stay I will be of no bother to you or your family, just let me stay"

Last edited:
Ken,
It will go beyond regrets. Not only would you want an NSX again but you will want the same one back! I'm speaking of experience : I want one car back after owning it 24 years and I recently was offered it back at a little more than twice the price I sold it for. Big mistake. Don't do it.

BTW does the new owner get to remove the Ken Sax headliner sticker:tongue:

Ken, I'm shocked. And a little saddened. If you do go through with it, I hope you do still stay part of the community.

Wow. Well, this sucks.

Wow.

I can understand where you are coming from, though. If you're not driving it, you're just saving it for the next guy. And there are better things you can do with the money in the mean time.

That being said, I still think about my NSX everyday, three years after selling. But I have a sickness for this car! I've even tried to "quit" cars for a couple months. Yet here I am posting on PRIME.

It's not about the metal. It's about the friends and memories you make along the way.

Ok, I think may have passed out for a bit, but if this is serious can we start a "Save Ken's NSX fund?"

There has got to be a way for you to keep her. :confused:

I do understand that the desire to sell when it's not being driven and I was guilty of selling my NSX, but I did turn around and buy another one. In your case you are one of the original owners, so it's a special relationship between you and your car.

Otto

Ken, I respect your decision eventhough it's sad to see but nothing's forever I know. Just wondering: did it start long ago that you didn't find drive your car?

Well, I understand about the not ever driving the car part of it. I went over a year and only drove mine one time. Other than that, I would just crank it up every so often and let it idle for a while in the garage. I just recently have begun to drive it more often.
I too have tossed around the idea of selling it but it is just hard to do because I know eventually I would want another and I might not be able to justify purchasing one again later on.
Best of luck to you on the selling of it and of the future owner.
I am glad to hear that you won't be leaving the board so that we might continue to drink from the fountain of your wealth of knowledge.

I too have tossed around the idea of selling it but it is just hard to do because I know eventually I would want another and I might not be able to justify purchasing one again later on.

This more than anything is probably why I keep mine. It's here, it's mine, and it's paid for.

Ken going front drive only:eek: Well as you said your nsx has been a wonderful tool for ehancing your life with track events and the nsxca.If you replace it with another midengine car ..I want to know which.
I have no plans (and no foreseeable financial wherewithal) to buy another car.

did it start long ago that you didn't find drive your car?
Two years. In the past two years, other than trips for service, it has left my garage twice: once for one day in a local track event, and once for my trip to NSXPO 2009. (I did use it for a few trips in Spring 2008, though.)

I've also decided to cut back on the number of track events I am driving in, which reduces the need for the NSX. However, I have been using the Integra Type R for most of my track events, rather than the NSX, ever since I bought the ITR in 2001.

Last edited:
I agree with bboxer... one day you'll wish you hadn't sold it.

My first new car was a 1964 Pontiac GTO. It was extremely well optioned -- set up from the factory as a drag racer.

I kept it about a year and a half (never lost a drag race with it) and sold it to buy a Porsche Speedster to go "E" Production SCCA racing. I had paid $3,300 for it (including tax and license) so I was happy to get $3,000 for it.

Anyway... about three years ago a '64 GTO like mine sold at a Barrett-Jackson auction for $400K -- turns out there were only six like it built.

Anyway, my guess is that 20 years from now any original NSX will pull big bucks.

But a boy's gotta do what a boy's gotta do.

Back