• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

why sometimes my 1991 start right up, and sometime delay a few crank before start?thx

sometimes my car start right up, and sometimes, it takes a few crank before it starts. is that normal? It runs good though, just sometimes right up, and sometimes takes a little longer to start.

Check main relay for solder joint crack.
My 93 would take a little cranking on first start if the day to get it running. Then after that it only tasks 1 little crank and she fires right away.

If the main relay doesn't do it, try using some battery post shims found at any local auto parts store. I too had this. The main relay helped a lot but sometimes it would need 3 cranks to start usually when warm. I changed my battery terminals and used shims. Cranks first time always now.

sometimes my car start right up, and sometimes, it takes a few crank before it starts. is that normal? It runs good though, just sometimes right up, and sometimes takes a little longer to start.

I think that is pretty normal as long as it is infrequent. My 2000 NSX, our 2003 Pilot and RSX all do it infrequently and have done it since day 1. Because it is infrequent (maybe once every one or two months at most), it always causes a moment of panic because you get so used to the instant start. The Pilot owners manual has a short paragraph on how to deal with it (I seem to recall accelerator to the floor when trying the restart).

If it is more frequent than that, it may be due to fuel pressure loss while parked. The fuel pump has a check valve which is supposed to keep the fuel system pressurized when you turn the car off. If the check valve, the fuel pressure regulator or your injectors are leaking you lose pressure while parked and you won't get a successful start until the fuel pump recharges the fuel lines. Do as Oldduffer suggests and let the fuel pump prime the system before attempting to start the car. If this resolves the problem, then you are likely losing fuel pressure while parked. If the source of the problem is a leaking regulator or check valve, the problem is inconvenience; but, probably not critical. If the problem is due to leaking injectors you probably want to get that taken care of.

You can test for pressure loss by connecting a fuel pressure test gauge to the fuel system. After the pump starts up and then shuts down, watch for the fuel pressure to drop. If it does drop, you have a leak and then its down to tracing the leak.

Given the age of your car, it could also be an ignition switch problem; however, that usually comes with other symptoms such as the starter motor not cranking or other electrical stuff not working.

Last edited:
Back