• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why won't my baby turn over????

Ok, here's the situation. Took my baby for a nice sunday afternoon run (3hrs). When I got back, I let her sit for about 30 mins. When I tried starting her again, there was a series of "put-puts" and then she just died! The starter seems to be working just fine, but the car won't turn over. Now, I have been reading the other posts on the forum in connection to this problem, but I can't seem to figure it out. When I turn the key, I DON'T HEAR THE FUEL PUMP!!! Not that I ever heard it before, but it seems a little strange that all I hear is a series of "clicking" sounds (probably just the relays behind the drivers seat). I smell a funny "nail polish" smell comming from the engine. Could someone please let me know what else I should try...

Originally posted by Poloman:
Ok, here's the situation. Took my baby for a nice sunday afternoon run (3hrs). When I got back, I let her sit for about 30 mins. When I tried starting her again, there was a series of "put-puts" and then she just died! The starter seems to be working just fine, but the car won't turn over. Now, I have been reading the other posts on the forum in connection to this problem, but I can't seem to figure it out. When I turn the key, I DON'T HEAR THE FUEL PUMP!!! Not that I ever heard it before, but it seems a little strange that all I hear is a series of "clicking" sounds (probably just the relays behind the drivers seat). I smell a funny "nail polish" smell comming from the engine. Could someone please let me know what else I should try...

just a stupid guess, is the clicking when you are turning it over? could be batt, or batt connection not making full contact...

for the fuel pump, it doesnt just stop working unless its not getting power, they wear over time..... a long time...... so I doubt its the pump, now if its not getting power thats a different story...

but I have seen an X with the batt not making good contact, shoved some wire in and re-tightened worked just fine.....

Ok, the car cranks just fine, but it doesn't start. I turn the key, the starter works perfectly. I get the feeling it wants to start, but I think it's not geting any fuel.

??????

just a guess but maybe there is a fuel pump relay on the firewall behind the seats?
Take the cover off from behind the seats and see if you can hear it engage.
Tap it a few times with a screwdriver handle to see if you can get it to make contact. If it suddenly works, you have your culprit.

Poloman,
I recently had the same problem. It's a very simple fix. I just ordered a new relay (Mitsuba Relay Ass'y Main RZ-0101) from www.acura-parts.com for about $50 bucks. Took about 2-3 days to get to me. Please private me for anymore details...
Regards
Z

ps - Here's my previous post:
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/007629.html

Ok, the car cranks just fine, but it doesn't start. I turn the key, the starter works perfectly. I get the feeling it wants to start, but I think it's not geting any fuel.

??????

NSX FoYoA**,

Thanks for the info. I will send out for the relay. I just wonder why it just suddenly failed! It has been my experience in the past, that when a part begins to go bad, it begins to work and not work (on and off) until it eventually stops working all together. Well, let's just hope that this will take care of it. I'll keep you guys in the loop. By the way, I have a '92 with 120K.

From what I hear, it's a pretty common problem. My NSX is a 93 with 45k miles. I just happened to tell one of the NSX guys here in Houston about my car not starting and he knew exactly what it was b/c it had happened to his customers car also. Mine was cranking fine until I took it to work one day. Had to even let it sit over night b/c I couldn't get a flatbed in time.
Good Luck,
Z

It has been my experience in the past, that when a part begins to go bad, it begins to work and not work (on and off) until it eventually stops working all together.

That is typically true of mechanical parts, but most electronic items are either on or off, and when they die, it is typically sudden. HTH

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan Boooleevard Cruzer
1992 White/Black Track Rat
2002 Red and White Cooper S - for sale, please inquire

I think relays are an exception to this rule.
Since they carry current, every time an electrical connection is made, the contact surface will physically change in response to the current flow. This is why they wear out.
Unless the failure is a catastrophic one, with much more current than the part was designed to carry, there can be a "grace period" when connections will be intermittant. At this stage, the relay makes an electrical connection with a different part of the contact than it last contacted. This different connection may, or may not conduct electricity depending on the amount of non conductive foreign materials present on the contact surface and the physical mating surfaces left over from the last operation.
If you've ever shorted a screwdriver across a battery and seen the aftermath of melted metal and black carbon residue, this is the same faliure mechanism as when a relay fails, albeit at a much slower pace. This is also why physically tapping a suspect relay can get it to work one last time to start your car and get it home, but it doesn't Always work.

Daym, why didn't I think of that!! Oh well, it was a cheap fix anyways. Glad you got it resolved...
Z

Back