• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will my insurance work on the track

Seems like everyone at the track is running at risk...

Do all those Ferrari owners, etc. just assume their own liability at the track?

I was just about to switch from Liberty Mutual to Allstate yesterday when I was told by an Allstate customer of the new language. Before attending BMWCCA at gingerman in May I faxed the DE documentation to Liberty's underwriter and then replied 'no shot in hell' (not their words). It is really too bad about Allstate because I have a good friend who totalled his prepped vette at a DE event and not only did Allstate (at the time) cover the car, but also covered some of his mods!

Maybe a good way to attack this issue is to ask that anyone who has personally filed a DE-related claim with their insurers state whether or not they were covered... that would atleast limit the number of companies that we all have to call.

POWERED by HONDA said:
The only problem you solve by getting an MR2 is that you won't wreck the NSX. But you still have to worry about bodily injury and possible property damage...

"Won't wreck the NSX," that is the whole point. Minor Bodily and most property insurances will be cover by the track. The only thing I have to worry about is wrecking the MR2.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, most tracks and track event organizations require you to sign a waiver before you are allowed onto the racetrack. The track will not cover any of your injuries or damage you may cause on the track. This is how it is to all the track events I've attended. Heck, some require you to sign waivers even if you are just spectating.

And how do you know your injuries will be minor?

When I said "minor," I meant a coule of scratches, cuts here and there if one run into the walls, tires, or something. If that happens, there are medical personnels and ambulances there to treat you on the spot. That will be all the insurance I will need.

I don't know whether my injuries will be minor or not, but how do you know if it happens, it will be a major one? Explain that to me.

Accidents, that is a chance I will have to take when I go to the track - I have been in much worst accidents, twice already in my life.

Bye.

I don't think you are understanding the point of this topic. The point is... people are worried that they won't be covered in case they have an accident on the track... whether it's major or minor, well...

You posted that you "solved the problem" by getting an MR2.

Well, that's nice and all... but that still doesn't solve the problem of if you are covered or not. OK, you wreck your MR2 instead of the NSX. Great. You don't lose as much money. Awesome.

BUT, what if you get hurt? I hope to god that you are in a minor accident where you can just walk away... but don't ask me if I know if it will be a major one... let me ask you this... what IF IT IS? Where's your insurance now? Wouldn't everyone feel better knowing that they are fully insured in case the worse happens? You don't know... I don't know... but at least you will feel better knowing you will be covered.

Hey, we can be debating for nothing... maybe your regular health care insurance will take care of things... who knows... but the point is... it's better to be safe than sorry.

Check your insurance policy's and talk to your agent(s). Some life and health plans cover death/medical while on a race track - usually with the exclusion of not being a professional driver. Sometimes the racing club may provide limited medical, but not usually. Call around or search the Internet to find providers of racing specific insurance. Most of the time the deductible and the policy costs are very expensive and then there are the conditions and restrictions :( :( :( .

NeSX said:
Maybe a good way to attack this issue is to ask that anyone who has personally filed a DE-related claim with their insurers state whether or not they were covered... that would atleast limit the number of companies that we all have to call.

More and more carriers are putting in this exclusionary language and giving a broader definition to "racing" or "speed contests." The policies are constantly changing so do not be surprised if all carriers ultimately list it as an exclusion. They are also willing to litigate the issue now on submitted claims. Currently, my firm is defending a carrier against a claim filed by a Porsche club member for an incident at Lime Rock earlier this year. Expect that most if not all carriers will follow so this is just another reason not to exceed the abilities of either the driver or the car at HPDE events.

Ok, if a exclusion was added to a policy I assume they would be required to contact you with the change for it to take effect. Once a year I get a copy of my policy and I would guess that is when they update the changes. Dan

If all carriers move to tougher exclusiary language then the alternative is to negotiate a seperate rider on your policy to cover schools.May mean more money but probably cheaper than dedicated race car insurance.i think the deductables on race insurance is ~6k$.

Back