• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will this car ever run out of gas

Ok, obviously it literally will, but has anyone actually done it??? I had the needle more than half way below the bottom of the red on the fuel indicator. When I filled it up it took 15.223 gallons. My service manual says it has an 18.5 capacity!!!:eek: Sheesh, that means I had over 3 gallons remaining, or about another 80 miles I could have gone. I wonder how far down the needle would be if it got ran down to only 1 gallon remaining. I don't think I ever want to get the needle any lower, nor do I want to run a car out of gas. It is reassuring to know it can get pretty darn low so when you miss an exit or something you don't have to panic.

I hear you. My low fuel light doesn't come on until the needle is way deep and even then I still have a few gallons left in the tank.

I just look at it as a bit of an extra reserve.

the tank might hold 18.5 gal's but I don't think its all usable. I can go over 400 miles on a tank if I drive like a normal person.............:cool:

Hal_396 said:
I can go over 400 miles on a tank if I drive like a normal person.............:cool:

There are no normal people here on Prime, you must be a little confused. :D

I have driven my NSX until almost empty when I put 17.5 gallons in the tank once.

I thought my light was broken for a while...now the light usually comes on at 380-400 miles. I went 425 miles once and it took 17 gals to fill up. (around town driving) :eek: and I don't even have the super-mod tornado gas saver. :wink:

Driving the car with the tank that low can lead to premature fuel pump failure. The pump sits inside the tank submerged in gas which has a cooling effect on the motor, constant use with little or no fuel can overheat the pump.

Also, the pump works its hardest when there is very little fuel in the tank.

LeftLane said:
I thought this thread was going to be about Kramer test driving a Saab.

I was never a fan of that show, but I can just imagine how that episode went. Though now that you mention TV shows, I do remember a Top Gear episode where they were trying to get an outrageous milage out of an Audi deisel. Even Audi said they couldn't go as far as they did and the last bit of it he was just going "what is this car running on"...lol:biggrin:

LeftLane said:

LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH:biggrin:

LeftLane said:

happy0158.gif
happy0009.gif

Back