• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Window Dropped

My window dropped today as I was lowering it with the switch. Like any primate, I thought it made sense to flick the switch to see if it would come up. It made a sound like cable twisting around metal objects, which is apparently what happened.

I removed the door panel and can now see the end of a cable dangling (see attached). However, when I lift up on the window from inside the door, I can only get it about up about 4". It seems to be jammed and I can't see/feel where it is jamming.

I've read several threads on the fixit thingie and regulator replacement, but have no idea what my next step should be.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• regulator.jpg
    regulator.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
I dont remember what the next coarse of action would be specifically but I would start looking for a used regulator or be prepared to order a new one for big bucks. I recently read somewhere that if you have the patience you could unravel the twisted mess and fix the old one. Good luck with the fix

OK, I monkeyed with the window some more and was able to get it up far enough to see the thingy. It's busted, and I also found some shrapnal in the bottom of the door (see attached). The thing that the thingy goes into (regulator slide?) is real loose on the regulator track, so I assume the pieces are from something that used to make it fit more snugly.

Does anyone know what these black pieces in my hand used to be?

Should I remove the regulator?

Big thanks in advance!

Attachments

• regulator.jpg
    regulator.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 288
If i can remember correctly.. those black pieces in your hand was the part that connected the wire to that bracket in the background of your picture... you need to get a window fix it thingy... to replace those broken pieces...

midlifecrisis said:
Does anyone know what these black pieces in my hand used to be?

I was just looking at the parts break-down and you can probably order those, though I am not sure what parts they are exactly.

If you go to http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/catdisplay.jsp and follow the drop downs for your modle, year, and trim then go to front door glass in the parts drop down perhaps you can identify what it is and then you will better be able to order it from you favorite parts supplier.

My first time trying to put a link in a post so I hope it works, if not then just copy and paste.

Well, I removed the regulator. Not as hard as it seemed, thanks to the FAQ on Trobleshooting Power Windows.

The black peices were in fact designed to make the "window slider" (the FAQ refers to this part as a "widget") fit snugly into the regulator track.

The 2 cable ends are in tact, but there's about a 5" gap between them and there should only 1" (the length of the fixit thingy). So my guess is the cable is knotted up inside the spool.

When I can sequester a helper, I'm going to try hooking it up outside of the door and have my helper hit the switch while I pull on both cable ends. I'm hoping to unkink the cable inside the spool by running back and forth to each extreme while I pull on both cable ends.

If this doesn't work, I'll get Window Regulators USA to rebuild it.

That's all for tonight. More to follow....

Last edited:
53heloFE said:
I was just looking at the parts break-down and you can probably order those, though I am not sure what parts they are exactly.

If you go to http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/catdisplay.jsp and follow the drop downs for your modle, year, and trim then go to front door glass in the parts drop down perhaps you can identify what it is and then you will better be able to order it from you favorite parts supplier.

My first time trying to put a link in a post so I hope it works, if not then just copy and paste.

Hey 53heloFE, thanks for the link. I will use it often!

Unfortunately the broken pieces are spacers and they are not offered as a seperate part. However, Alexander Z at Window Regulators USA is going to try and fabricate them for me as part of the regulator rebuild service.

midlifecrisis said:
Hey 53heloFE, thanks for the link. I will use it often!

Unfortunately the broken pieces are spacers and they are not offered as a seperate part. However, Alexander Z at Window Regulators USA is going to try and fabricate them for me as part of the regulator rebuild service.

I use the link alot. I don't purchase my parts from them because I get a better deal elsewhere, but I do save the parts pic and email it with the reference number to my parts guy.

Glad to hear Window Regulators USA can help. I will keep them in mind if I ever have a problem with mine.

Got the rebuilt regulator back from Alexander Z at Window Regulators USA.

Top notch job. He fabricated new spacers for the slider and it works like a charm. He included his own version of the "Window Fixit Thingy" that looks like it will do the job, so if you have him do yours, you won't need the thingy afterwards.

It was a breeze to reinstall, as it was pre-lubed, and the cables were already fastened to the slider. No need to ruin a pair of pliers, just bolt on and go.

A side note - during R&R, you can lower the window to a point where the right window bolt is accessable through a hole in the door. A 3" socket extension will slide right in.

Does someone have the number for Window regulators USA. I googled them but could not find a website.

How much was the fix. I had both my regulators replaced at the dealer. It was over 2k for the parts and labor. It was covered under warranty.

$85, including return shipping. Fast turnaround too.

can someone give me a helpful tip? my windows roll up slower than two 60 year old couples making love. the regs are new so what can i do to speed the process of rolling them up?:frown:

bandit said:
can someone give me a helpful tip? my windows roll up slower than two 60 year old couples making love. the regs are new so what can i do to speed the process of rolling them up?:frown:

The little black guides that are in midlifecrisis' hand in post #3 on this thread. After replacing both regulators in my car my windows were still slow. I later determined the guides were laying in the bottom of the door. Once those were replace my window were much faster.
They are really difficult to replace and I had to have them made as they were not available from Acura.

Back